Under water camera action

seth49

Reaction score
Started watching this last night, it’s interesting how the fish take different feeder rigs, it’s on for over an hour but worth a watch.

nottskev

Reaction score
That was interesting, I suppose, but - and no offence to you, Keith - I don't like this stuff. I feel like it crosses some kind of line, although I can't define exactly where the line is. But bait boats, fish finders and even self-hooking rigs of the method feeder type offend something in my personal outlook. I'm happy to interpret what's happening underwater using the clues available, and hit or miss bites as my skills in reading them allow.

I imagine that insights from this type of study will inform tackle and rig developments, adding to the can't fail/catch more norms on the kind of waters where everything is already stacked in the anglers' favour and the tackle practically catches for you.

Can't the fish even feed these days without their behaviour being filmed, analysed and publicised by tackle firm rep's angling for market share? Will it improve the experience of angling as fish have less and less chance of evading capture? The glib commentary and bantz here annoyed me too - they seem to have zero respect for the innocent wild creatures at the centre of our sport.

Funnily enough, I watched a bit of one of those gratingly s****e Essex Boy carp programmes just a couple of nights ago. They used under-water filming to study the feeding style of Sturgeon, adapted the rigs accordingly and caught. I'd like to see them apply this to shark fishing, where it would be nice to see one or two of them fall in and get eaten. That would be a video worth watching.

peterjg

Reaction score
For me what was most thought provoking was the reaction of the other shoal fish when a fish was hooked. For instance I try (rarely succeed) to catch a big roach by using baits such as sweetcorn, pellets, worms, large pieces of flake, etc but crucially everytime I hook a medium sized roach I might be scaring away a big one. If I cast out say a 10 or 12mm boilie for a big roach along comes a carp first! I need to come up with another cunning plan....

@Clive

Reaction score
For me what was most thought provoking was the reaction of the other shoal fish when a fish was hooked. For instance I try (rarely succeed) to catch a big roach by using baits such as sweetcorn, pellets, worms, large pieces of flake, etc but crucially everytime I hook a medium sized roach I might be scaring away a big one. If I cast out say a 10 or 12mm boilie for a big roach along comes a carp first! I need to come up with another cunning plan....
I used to fish in a shallow bay that is now off limits. The area would be 3 or 4 acres with little signs of any fish being in there. Just the odd heave on the surface here and there. But as soon as I hooked a carp on my float gear anything up to a dozen other carp would visibly spook causing arrowhead wakes as they headed for the open water. Fortunately they came back quite quickly. No more than half an hour I'd say.

Alan Whitty

Reaction score
Parts one and two were very interesting, and although I agree with Kev the ideas the videos prompt are countless, what I find interesting is that I found the pellet feeder excellent for bream and also found 6-8in hooklengths to work better than a 3-4in one, also when Matt Godfrey said that the bites were very different as were the fights. I wouldn't want to do it in my fishing, but I've said for a long time that in clear water I witness fish getting one over on you, that is fish of all species....