Unhooking mat

john step

Reaction score

On a similar note I always give my car a spray with this after I’ve unloaded it after fishing, keeps her indoors of my back.
About spraying ones car. In the summer I usually spray fly killer just before locking the fishing car. It saves the alarm going off in the night due to insects flying around that have hitched a ride when packing up.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
I have fished several waters where you have to use a landing net on every fish caught,bloody ridiculous,netting a minnow sized fry...
I have sen that rule , but some places say use discretion.
As for unhooking in net across the knee , I have found it to be a safer and quicker option than using a mat,
And I will never use dip tanks for nets, some have scum on them ,rubbish such as tins floating in them .
In a match we peg them out behind us when we are setting up , then put them in the water about 15 minutes before the all in.

rayner

Reaction score
I net every fish and have done for over 35 years. I believe it is not good to have fish suspended by its mouth regardless of the size of the fish being caught. If bigger fishes can be injured by not having them held by a net or laid on a mat, surely smaller species are also at risk.
These days I have no option but to net every fish. It is not like netting every fish takes an age it only takes a second more time.
I could never use an unhooking mat being unable to kneel on the ground or even crouch down.

Last edited: