Upstream legering

Andydj

Reaction score
The way I do it is to use a heavy fixed lead with a very short hooklength (3 inches) if need be. You need a very sharp hook, obviously, and a bait they cannot pull off. A good firm boilie or if you use a pellet pull on a plastic caster before you put in the boilie stop. They find it much harder to pull it off then because the tension on the hair caused by the plastic caster stops the stop from working loose. Another way is to superglue the bait to the hair. Don't worry, superglue doesn't put them off. I have covered the pellet in superglue before when nuisance fish are a pain and they still take it! A plastic bait is another option.
With backleads, I use a second lead, at least 3 feet above the first one which is held in place with rubber stops.
Pretty it ain't but it is very effective when weed is a real pain.
The key is the fixed lead, short hooklength, tough bait and sharp hook.
Be careful to set your clutch lose or use a centrepin.
You will lose your rod otherwise!
You need a heavy fixed inline lead for it to really work to its full potential!

Andydj

Reaction score
You need a heavy fixed inline lead for it to really work to its full potential!
One final thing before I shut up (relief).
All self hooking rigs are designed to be used with some form of hair rig. For them to work properly, as well as the factors already mentioned, you need some separation between the hook and bait. Baits tight to the hook will not hook the fish very often hence the wrap rounds without hooking the fish. Just a half inch hair will make such difference to hooking potential.
If you really feel the bait must be tight to the hook you need a big hook and small bait to stand much chance of hooking them.
I have never found using a hair prevents me hooking them but that is only my experience and of course, with a bolt rig you would never know anyway particularly if you rod is under water to avoid weed if fish were getting away with it. I am sure some do.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Some chub are very clued up. On my local river, if you use a hair that isn't ultra short so the hook is resting on the bait you will catch much less fish. A smaller hook also.
Fish will still be hooked on a bolt rig if you hook some baits directly on the hook. Examples of baits to hook direct are bread or soft baits like meat, maggots, worms and hook the baits direct.
You can also band your baits to the hook, which again will work on a bolt set up.

Andydj

Reaction score
Some chub are very clued up. On my local river, if you use a hair that isn't ultra short so the hook is resting on the bait you will catch much less fish. A smaller hook also.
Fish will still be hooked on a bolt rig if you hook some baits directly on the hook. Examples of baits to hook direct are bread or soft baits like meat, maggots, worms and hook the baits direct.
You can also band your baits to the hook, which again will work on a bolt set up.
Fair enough. I don't doubt your experiences as being genuine. I have done a lot of Carp fishing (too much you may argue!) and this has influenced my views on self hooking rigs considerably. I accept that a Carp is rather different to a Chub but I still think you will get better hooking with bait and hook separated a little.
They must be some clever Chub. The rigs I have described work on the highly pressured Stour and Avon fisheries. All very interesting though.
All the best.

Reaction score
Bet you still get done over by the crafty buggers Andy...

Andydj

Reaction score
Bet you still get done over by the crafty buggers Andy...
I am sure you are right. This, and purely for enjoyment, are the reasons I am using a quivertip and light legering whenever I can this season.
Could be I am missing out on a real biggie bolt rigging.
I've had enough of that really to be honest, effective as it is.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Fair enough. I don't doubt your experiences as being genuine. I have done a lot of Carp fishing (too much you may argue!) and this has influenced my views on self hooking rigs considerably. I accept that a Carp is rather different to a Chub but I still think you will get better hooking with bait and hook separated a little.
They must be some clever Chub. The rigs I have described work on the highly pressured Stour and Avon fisheries. All very interesting though.
All the best.

Chub feed in a different manner to carp.
Very often chub actually get hold of a hair rigged bait without picking up the hook, they don't just suck the lot it. They get hold of the bait and purposely try to pull it off. This often pulls the rod tip right over before it pings back. That is the reason for a ultra short hair, a banded bait, or a bait put directly on the hook.

Andydj

Reaction score
Chub feed in a different manner to carp.
Very often chub actually get hold of a hair rigged bait without picking up the hook, they don't just suck the lot it. They get hold of the bait and purposely try to pull it off. This often pulls the rod tip right over before it pings back. That is the reason for a ultra short hair, a banded bait, or a bait put directly on the hook.
Yes I know that. I have though caught plenty of Chub on hairs as long as 1 1/2 inches on baits like hair rigged casters.
Interestingly, these longer hairs made of fine nylon seem better than a short hair. I think they can sip in or pick up if you prefer a bait without feeling the hook and they are more likely to take it properly.
I fully accept that it won't always be the case but I speak from personal experience and it works enough times to be viable.
All waters are different, and even day to day is different on the same water. I know that.
Cheers.