Waders and hats

John Aston

Reaction score
Waders - Like most game fishermen , I fell for breathable chest waders . Or at least I did until I realised that for the fishing I do , they were absolutely bloody useless . I got through 4 or 5 pairs in as many years , ranging from cheap ones to expensive Hardy and Orvis jobs . Every single one started to leak within weeks or months , and progressively got worse . At £ 250 to £400 a pair , I was paying more for wet legs than I was on rods .

I give waders a hard time - my typical day's trout and grayling fishing will involve 1-2 miles walk , often through overgrown fields, sliding down banks and inadvertently slipping and sliding on rocks . But that is fly fishing and trotting small wild rivers for you. Manufacturers say 'oh , you mustn't wear jeans. you must avoid thistles and try to walk with your legs apart .' And I say -'I pay 500 quid for unfit for purpose , leaky crap and you tell me to walk like John Wayne ? '

Despite Sportfish's catalogue loftily dismissing old school PVC waders as only suitable for garden ponds and beginners I switched back to them about 4 years ago . I still got the odd rip but it was repairable easily and they were 100 quid a pair . And despite the naysayers , they weren't too heavy , or too hot and all I missed was the ankle support of a good wading boot. I had chosen Vass waders as nearly every trout farm guy and fishery and sewerage worker etc seems to choose them . But last year I made a huge rip in mine and ordered a new pair. They normally arrive by return but mine took - wait for it - 9 months , thanks to Brexit , supply chain problems etc . I needed some urgently and noticed Vass were doing heavy duty breathables - I didn't want to go there but any port in a storm and if anyone can make breathables it is Vass .

And they are terrific - after 9 months use I am still dry as a bone . Mine are stocking foot jobs, (which I wear with some old Orvis studded wading boots ) and cost about £200 (25% of what you can spend ). Very highly recommended .

Hats - I wear sundry baseball caps for warm weather fishing but they ae useless in the cold and wet . After trying various allegedly waterproof hats , none were quite right . Too small a brim (important if you wear glasses) , not warm enough , or just plain leaky. I splashed out a lot of money on a Simms Goretex ExStream hat in 2009. It is still as good as new and is totally wind and waterproof, warm and comfy. For when it gets really wild, you can exercise your inner Roy Cropper by using the ear flaps which you secure under your chin with a Velcro strip. I cannot recommend this hat too highly - it is 100% fit for purpose and seems impossible to wear out .They are now an eye watering £75 , but worth every penny . It isn't too late to ask if Santa might oblige ....

Last edited by a moderator:

sam vimes

Reaction score
I rarely wade deep enough as to need chesties, so I've come to prefer my neoprene lined rubber thigh waders. I also appreciate the extra insulation they offer at this time of year. The fact that they are somewhere in the region of five years old, and still going strong, is a big plus. The only thing I miss about my chest waders is the studded felt sole on the boots.

As for the winter hat, I'm far too cheap to be buying a Simms. My last winter goretex hat was free, courtesy of HM Forces and a visit to the Falklands. Unfortunately, that particular hat is now past its best. My new replacement was no longer free, but I had no issue paying eighteen quid.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
I recently replaced my old Scierra waders with new chesties. Scierra S-16000's. My old Scierras saw great service so I was more than happy to repeat.

I have several different hats, usualy an old Hardy babeball cap or else a similar one from Sage. I also have a Wilderness type hat for those really hot and sunny days.

bullet

Reaction score
Interesting to know about the Vass Breathables.
I too go through a pair of Chesties a year. I've tried expensive and Cheap with the same result!

Keith M

Reaction score
I have an old Team Diawa peaked cap and a green waxed cotton brimmed hat to keep the rain from going down my neck; however I prefer using my Callaway golf cap most of the time which keeps the sun from my eyes and the rain off my glasses brilliantly.

Keith

fishface1

Reaction score
Baseball caps are for overweight Americans and golfers. They should be banned on all UK fisheries…

Real fisherman wear wide rimmed, floppy hats or woolly ones when pike fishing…

flightliner

Reaction score
Like some I've had expensive studded thigh waders but right now I'm looking for a pair of cheapies for a tiny Notts river where I've found some unfished for Barbel and Chub.
Its tree lined, overgrown and impossible to make progress, wading is the only way to go.
Cheap because my visits will be very limited.
Chesties. Only ever bought one pair, again very cheap for a lake where wading was required to avoid both weed, trees and underwater snags.
From fishing republik they were only £24 and lasted four full seasons before a welded shoulder strap came adrift, £6 a year? A bargain!
Wellies, dont get me going about Hunters!
Hats, baseball in summer, a nice thick woollen one. In winter.

dalesman

Reaction score
Vass waders do some waders with pvc waste wades but with a water proof ( not Goretex ) section from the waste up, studded soles Circa £130. I have noticed a lot of lads have swopped to Vass waders this year.

As for hats check out walking shops.

John Aston

Reaction score
Chest waders now seem de rigueur wear for the more on trend still water coarse guy.

The Sogster

Reaction score
Can't comment on waders, but I love a good hat when fishing.

My favourites are the ubiquitous woolly/ fleece beanie in winter but they are crap at keeping the low sun out of your eyes.
I have a very tight fitting one which fits under an old Renault Williams baseball cap from the early 90s.

My second favourite is a wide brimmed 'holiday' hat bought in Greece about 20 years ago. It has travelled through most of SE Asia since then from the Himalayas to Cape Cormorin and all points East and West as well as Thailand and Cambodia.
But the vented sides make it summer only in the UK.

20211231_000819.jpg

Although I have just received as a Christmas gift one of these wide brimmed hats from Amazonas tarp hats. I'm hoping it will be more of a two and a half season hat. https://www.tarphat.co.uk/default.aspx
20211231_000746.jpg

Looks cool, and it seems a reasonable eco choice.

Last edited: