Waterproof boots

mikench

Reaction score
I have had loads of different walking boots, mountain boots and fashion boots over the years with none being comfortable from the off and others only becoming so when fully worn in. I have a pair , like new which give me blisters every time I walk more than half a mile.

Last winter I bought a pair of Wychwood Waters edge boots for fishing as they were on offer in Farlows and waterproof. They are the best and most comfortable boots I have ever had and I use them for fishing and walking. Not a blister or even the hint of one. Funny things feet. I commend them to you and they are cheap.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
I use a pair of Mukluks boots with a thinsulate lining, had them quite a few years, warm and waterproof.
For dry days a pair of soft hiking/walking boots from sports direct are good, or a pair of trainers.

rayner

Reaction score
I bought a pair of Karrimor from sports direct they were only 40 or 50 quid best boots I've had them a few years now.

yorkieman

Reaction score
I suffer badly with cold feet so last year I bought some Vass fleece lined boots which work very well.
Just be aware my shoe size is10 but finished up buying a 12 because of the thick lining.

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
I've got a pair of those Wychwoods. I find them very comfortable too and the best fishing boots I've ever owned ( wellies excepted where the Muckboot reigns supreme imo) . I dont find them great walking boots ( for me anyway) BUT that's not what I bought them for. They are reasonably waterproof.....good enough anyway though I wouldnt stand in water in them.

steve2

Reaction score
Best boots I have for most walking are a pair of clarks gore tex boots they weren't cheap even in the sale but I have worn them for years.

mikench

Reaction score
They are too good for deep puddles and mud. I have various wellies for that which can be hosed down. The Wychwoods are just comfortable to walk to the peg and back and wear all day.

flightliner

Reaction score
I have a pair of Chris Brasher boots, I initially bought them for hiking but wear them fishing on the odd venue.
As Mike says, his took a long time to break in and mine were no different but Tbh they were superb when they were.
I use them often for my walk over the local countryside.
They must be over twenty five years old now and still good for a few more, can't fault them. Whatsoever, unlike my just as expensive Hunter wellies that I bought just four years ago that I complained to the manufacturer recant ly when to my horror I found they had started to perish!

Last edited:

Reaction score
I have a pair of leather goretex army boots(new),got them for around £70/80,which is very good for goretex,but I also have a pair of neoprene boots from Aldi,cheap,comfortable and warm,when available...I have a pair of Merrell goretex walking shoes for summer use too... Sadly I have had three pairs of Karrimor 'waterproof' walking shoes,that were really comfortable,but let water in like a sieve....

rayner

Reaction score
I have no idea if the Karrimors are waterproof are not, the only time they've been in the water was up to my knee when I slipped in.
They are very warm, I don't suffer from cold feet though.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
My Karrimoor are not waterproof, they have a mesh covered fabric top as well as suede, I have sprayed them with fabric, this seems to have helped, I only wear them if paths or tracks are damp. Otherwise its trainers, or if raining the Mukluks. Dont wear those heat holder type socks with thinsulate lined boots, it defeats the object. But wearing heat holder socks with ordinary boots or trainers keep feet warm.

rob48

Reaction score
I've found Salomon Gore-tex lined trainer and boots to be comfortable and reliable over many years of wear. My go-to brand now. For wellington type situations it's Aigle Parcours Vario for warmer weather and Muck Boot Muckmasters in the winter.

rayner

Reaction score
I have leather tops to mine with a strong rubber sole. I reckon water would get in through the sides of the tongue.

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
I wear Columbia trainers for driving to the venue and in the warmer months. I bought them from Decathlon for just over £50 they are so comfortable that I am now on my second pair. They have a waterproof membrane which helps keep your feet dry if there is dew on the
grass or if it’s wet.

In winter I use Muckboots. The pair I bought were on special offer, Neil Maidment put me on them and they were less than half price, which was handy.

The worse boots I have bought were Korum boots that had neoprene liners, bloody awful things. Korum stuff is usually pretty good value but these were trash.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Philip

Reaction score
I have some Salomon X Ultra Goretex boots which are very comfortable but I wouldnt want to submerge them.

For 100% waterproof...I got myself a pair of half height Muckboots a year or two back (Muckboot Chores) and they are the best "wellies" I have ever owned. Very comfortable and you can yomp a fair distance in them.

I also have some Classic Skeetex but they are just awful in comparison.