Wendy Turner Webster & Peta

P

Phil Hackett

I make no apologies for blagging this from another site. The author was Simon Newbold. The story is self-explanatory, Peta are using their celebrities to have a go.

If you care about your right to fish, I suggest you visit C4 feedback forum at www.channel4.com/c4info/index_r4.html
and lodge your disgust that someone who support this extremist organisation is presenting a pets programme. Remember, this organisation is that extreme that it thinks that people shouldn't even keep pets of any kind.

Hi all,
Looks like a campaign is starting... Page 27 of today's Daily Express:-

"STOP KILLING FISH, WENDY BEGS SCOUTS"

"Pet Rescue presenter Wendy Turner Webster is appealing to Boy Scouts to stop fishing. The animal lover has written to the Duke of Kent in his cpacity of President of the Scout Association, asking him to "retire the Scouts' Angler Proficiency badge" on the grounds of cruelty.

Writing on behalf of the organisation People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA), vegan Wendy,33, informs the Duke that killing fish is inconsistent with the Scouts' wholesome reputation and "setting out to attack animals.... is not in keeping with the image of Scouting".

Appealing to his traditional side, Wendy, who presents the Channel 4 animal rescue show, refers to the Scout Law that dictates "A Scout understands there is strength in being gentle. He treats others as he wants to be treated. He does not hurt or kill harmless things without reason". The letter appeals to the Duke to "put the violent pastime of fishing behind us and teach children to respect rather than kill wildlife".

In support of her letter PETA's spokesman Toni Vernelli says: " Scouts are supposed to be compassionate role models, not bloodthirsty fish killers"

Wendy has proposed the Angling badge be replaced by The Waterway Clean-up badge with the bob-a-jobbers clearing fishing debris from rivers, ponds and lakes, thus providing the Scouts with a "justified sense of accomplishment and civic pride".

Wendy, younger sister of fellow TV presenter Anthea and wife of former minder star Gary Webster, is a strong supporter of PETA. In February she was among a host of celebrities such as Joely Richardson and Dame Judi Dench who designed heart shaped cards campaigning for the better treatment of animals.

The Duke of Kent has so far not responded to Wendy's epistle"

So, there you go - anyone any good at writing letters?

Simon...

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
John Toohey already copied this letter to the forum (coarse section) on 30th April. Being as it's important I'll leave all four copies on board.

A

Alan Roe

There has been an issue that the threads on this subject have been pulled by the webmaster on C4 this letter was a response to this and so far this morning the threads related to this matter are still there for how long we dont know at this stage the letter below was posted there yesterday and is still there today.
A variation of it has also been sent to the Daily Express who publisised the whole thing.
The Daily Express can be reached at...
expressletters@express.co.uk
I am concerned that threads relating to this issue are being pulled. Is it that Channel 4 are ashamed of the antics of their presenter Wendy Turner and are afraid to admit it.

Certainly she has done them no favours and has undermined both her own credibility and that of the programme that she fronts.

The contents of her recent letter to the Duke of Kent which was copied to the Daily Express to achieve more publicity, showed a total lack of understanding of her chosen subject matter.
Sadly its contents represented nothing more than the gross propaganda of and extremist vegan organisation called Peta

The sad fact is that Peta are an extremist organisation who openly oppose the keeping of animals as pets or indeed any form of interaction between people and animals.
To this end they are open in their advocacy of terrorist groups who regard human life as expendable in their 'Cause'.

Wendy has abused her position as a public persona in being a mouthpiece for this group, particularly as she is fronting a programme on good animal husbandry ...something disapproved of by the group she is speaking for.

If she wishes to remain an open supporter of these extremists then she should do so from a less hypocritical position and either resign from her present position or be dismissed.

D

Davy North

I can't help but think these celeb's jump on the animal rights band wagon to look "right on".

I wonder if Ms Turner-Webster even know PETA's views on keeping pets? If she does she's remarkably hypocritical. If she doesn't she's going to feel very silly when someone puts her right.

I also wonder if PETA are bothered that someone who hosts a pet program is speaking on their behalf? Somehow I doubt it as long as they are getting publicity, but we all know how hypocritical they are.

A

Alan Roe

I recieved this today......
Dear Mr Roe
Thank you for your email of May 11th.

We were sorry to read that you question Wendy Turner-Webster's suitability
as a presenter of the programme PET RESCUE.

We do feel that we have clearly stated Channel 4's position and that we have
done our best to assist you. Therefore, we regret that we are unable to
enter into any further correspondence on this subject.

If you continue to feel you have unresolved issues arising from your
complaint, we suggest that you address them to the ITC, the body that
licenses and regulates commercially funded television services in the UK.
Their address is:

Independent Television Commission
33 Foley Street
London W1P 7LB

Again, we do thank you for taking the time to write to us.

Yours sincerely

LINDA BRIANT
VIEWER ENQUIRIES MANAGER

They really don't want to discuss this issue do they!!!!
The good news is that the ITC have an on line complaints form so we dont have to go to the trouble of getting stamps and going to the post box!!
Here we go folks http://www.itc.org.uk/contact/prog_complaint_form.asp.
Please use this facillity to make our feelings known!! Its your sport so here is a chance to do something to protect it.
Cheers
Alan