What size reel ?

LincsKev

Reaction score
Ok so I've treat myself to the Cadence 14ft #3 Waggler rod, what size reel should I put on a 3000 or 4000 ???

Keith M

Reaction score
According to the advertising gumph for this rod (see below) a 4000 series reel would be ideal.
Although of course you can get away with a 3000 series Diawa or Shimano reel I myself would plump for a decent 4000 series reel (preferably with spool reducers for when I’m using slightly reduced line diameters)

About the Cadence CR10 14ft Match Rod #3
Another valuable addition to any angler’s armoury and especially good for out and out big fish situations. The fact it is available in 14ft length means anglers can achieve great presentation on the float whilst safe in the knowledge that you have a very good chance of landing whatever you hook. Brilliant non-locking action means fewer lost fish. A serious piece of kit for people who take their fishing seriously!

WEIGHT (G)CASTING WEIGHTMAX LINE RATINGPIECESIDEAL REEL SIZE
1882-30g8lb34000

Keith

Last edited:

rob48

Reaction score
The Cadence Ideal Reel Size is a 4000 Cadence reel. I've got one and it's a nice reel, lovely and smooth with no wobble, but, it's virtually the same size as my Daiwa Evo Procaster 3000s, both of which I use on my Cadence 15' #1 rod.
Seems reel sizes are going thes ame way as hooks.

Keith M

Reaction score
It’s user preference however when I’m using a similar test curve float rod for trotting for Barbel and Chub I currently use my Shimano Aero FA 4000 series float reel (see pic) with 5lb and 6lb lines and my Shimano Stradic 4000 series reel if I’m using 8lb line.

But I’m fairly sure that a 3000 series reel would be fine too if that’s what you prefer to use.

Above: My Shimano Aero 4000 RA Match reel which has a large diameter spool which improves casting distance and also reduces any memory coils in the line (which are normally associated with reels with small diameter spools); together with a very compact 2500 sized body.
NB: In the above pic I have a removable spool reducer fitted on the spool for when I’m using lighter lines.

Keith

Last edited:

mikench

Reaction score
You are spoilt for choice. I have a few reels by Shimano and Daiwa which would fit the bill either in 4000 or 3000 size. I paired this with my Sphere 13 and 14’ float rods and a MAP bomb rod and it’s excellent light and pleasant to use. I bought the 4500 size but there is little to choose between them in size or weight merely spool capacity.

I doubt you will find a lighter reel, if that is important to you, anywhere in these sizes. Don’t be hung up on advertised sizes as many reels are smaller and lighter than you think, differing only in spool capacity.

Kevin aka Aethelbald

Reaction score
I just bought two Shimano Aero BB reels, for £63.00 each from TackleUK.

I'll use one for float fishing, but they are so light that I bought them both in 5000 size. The 5000 body is the same size as the 4000 body... something you might find with several Shimano models. The BB comes with spool reducers.

I posted a review with pictures, if you're interested.

Since I wrote it, spare spools are now available from Felindre Innovations (without spool reducers), so I bought two of those as well.

@Clive

Reaction score
Of the reels that I have experienced Daiwa reels are at least one size bigger than the Shimano equivalent. A 5000 Regal is bigger than a 7000 Aero and a 2500 Daiwa Emcast is about the same size as a 4000 Stradic.

Alan Whitty

Reaction score
I personally believe that your spool should be around the same diameter as the old Mitchell match spools,any smaller and there is a bit of coiling memory,I couldn't tell you what that diameter is,but Shimano 3000's are too small(for my preference),Cadence and Shimano 4000 reels are good,Daiwa 3012 is also good....

sam vimes

Reaction score
Be wary of talking in absolutes regarding the rather arbitrary numbers given to reels. There is little consistency in a single brand, let alone across multiple brands.

I have three different Shimano 3000 reels. The spools are 41mm, 46.5mm and 49mm across the lip.
The biggest Shimano 2500 spool I have is 52mm across the lip. I have a new Shimano 5000 which has a 54mm spool and a big 4000 which has a 57mm spool.

It's also worth noting that Daiwa, who used to be one of the more consistent manufacturers, have changed their numbering system in the last few years. Some models still conform to the old system but as products are discontinued, they are replaced by models that conform to the new system. An old Daiwa 3000 is not the same size as a new Daiwa 3000.