When the Heros should be quiet!

R

Rob Brownfield

I bowed down to pressure and actually bought the Angling Times to read Des Taylors column about Summer piking. I was shocked to say the least. Where does this guy firstly, get his facts from and secondly, get the balls to come out with such sweeping statements in a national publication.

Naturally i am biased when it comes to Fly Fishing for Pike, but to say it ruins fishing for other people is plain stupid. (Last sentance in the article). Any fish that is pressured through the summer will be that bit harder to catch come the winter, thats a fact of life, and part of the challenge, but to suggest that summer lure anglers and fly fishers are affecting other peoples sport..well..come on!!

I for one am pleased that more anglers are taking up flyfishing for Pike because it has lead to an understanding by some trout anglers that Pike are not evil etc. I truely belive there are many Pike swimming in trout waters that would have been killed a few years back, and now, many Trout waters allow u to fish for the Pike. Unheard of before.

How come he does not mention Barbel? Surely these fish will suffer more from a hard fight in the summer than a Pike would (if the thred on stillwater barbel is anything to go by). To have a well known (not I do not say respected) angler come out with total crap is wrong.

What do u guys think?

R

Rob Brownfield

Ya lilly livered scallywags...come on, someone must be brave enough to tell it how it is...

D

Davy North

I read the article, which prompted me to post the Summer piking tread in the predator section. Des isn't the first to raise these views, but the pompous way it was put over did get my back up, but's that Mr Taylor for you.

I don't know if anyone can remember the picture of him stood on a lock gate, fist raised in triumph when the closed season was lifted on canals. Then went on to say he didn't even fish canals.

However he has an image to maintain, the hard man of angling. No greenie is going to stop him live baiting. No Johnny Foreigner is going to make him stop using pounds and ounces, his father fought for this country. Then just the other week he stated this country was a cesspit, and if he was younger he'd leave.

Yes at times the "Big man with big opinnions" makes me go Grrrrrrrrrr, but then I think are these his own views? or is he just doing it to be controversial and provke debate?

Then I get to wonder, if these aren't his own views is it worth looking like a prat just to provke debate?

I'd like to know if anyone has met the bloke, and is he the self opinionated bigot he appears to be?

Naaaarrr he couldn't be.

C

Carp Angler

I've met him, although briefly, he seems personable enough and he isn't that big...........

P

Paul Williams

Rob,
Take Des with the proverbial mate....he has to write something!!
For what it's worth mates and myself have had bigger bags of pike from the Severn during the summer than the winter....they do fight like stink, but they go back fit!!!!
The trouble with having to write rather than doing it for fun is that you end up contradicting yourself!!! it's the nature of our sport!!!