When would you consider yourself too old

Steve King

Reaction score
The days when I used to yomp across four meadows on the Teme with three rods and all the gear for a night session are gone!

My asthma has slowly been getting worse and various issues with sciatica and my back haven’t helped either!

I guess that I should join a club and stop being Billy No Mates! Most of my fishing is solitary and I think going with a mate is not only safer, but helps share the load.

I used to belong to a club when I lived in London and apart from the club coach outings, I used to go out with a couple of friends once or twice a month as well. Sadly they both passed away within a couple of years of each other. Ken died on the bank with a rod in his hand after suffering a heart attack. Ron developed cancer of the oesophagus and alas it was untreatable.

Some BAA swims on the Severn allow you to park by your swim and a local fishery similarly allows you to drive up to your swim.

So, the short answer is that I’ll keep on fishing as long as I am able, but I will probably take less gear.

Last edited:

Reaction score
Im afraid my love of rivers will probably be the death of me,either that or my holy grail search for fuel(I have not begun my search yet)...

Regalis

Out of reach...
Reaction score
Screenshot_20210929-094245_Samsung Internet.jpg
?

mikench

Reaction score
I'll check into this thread again in 10 years. A ghillie/ caddy may be the answer then; shame Er indoors is not 30 years younger!? Mmm there's an idea .

Regalis

Out of reach...
Reaction score
Don't laugh, there is a bloke who goes round Ackers Pit with a smaller version of the trailer on the back of his mobility scooter.
I have saw a guy with one before too. Thats why I thought of it. ?

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
I went on a guided walk earlier this year along the river Eden with a guy called Paul Vicary, who has his own u-tube channel. He knows this stretch of river like the back of his hand as his aunt and uncle farm the land the river runs through. One of the older members turned up for the walk, he must have been well into his seventies and arrived up on a huge Honda Goldwing trike. Good luck to him too. I intend to do whatever I can until poor health prevents me from doing it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chevin4

Reaction score
Im past that Hugh,I wake up at silly o'clock and then cant be arsed to go....
To be honest Alan the 3.15 alarm calls were taking its toll. 1had a nice lie in yesterday didn't get up to go fishing until 4.45.?

Reaction score
I dont sleep particularly well,havent for months,im often awake at 1/2/3/4am just cant get,or stay comfortable,which means often though im awake for an early start,I just cant motivate myself to get going,or even go at all sometimes....

steve2

Reaction score
Silly o'clock fishing starts was something I always did I could never sleep properly in case I missed the alarm. So would just get up and go no matter what the time was. I was once stopped by the police wanting to know where I was going at 2am.

silvers

Reaction score
After last weeks Wye match I was chatting to Clive Branson (oops, name-dropper?) and he admitted to being 70 ... he’d just come up Cardiac hill at Breinton (along with Jim Burton ... another 70 year old). Being active and still competititve in matches is my goal for the future. Clive is one of many inspirations (As we river anglers age).

chevin4

Reaction score
I must admit I don't sleep well before an early morning fishing trip as Steve has mentioned I have a fear of sleeping through the alarm. Back in the early nineties I would get home from a week at work get my head down for a few hours get up at 1am and head for Sywell couldn't do that now

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
I must admit I don't sleep well before an early morning fishing trip as Steve has mentioned I have a fear of sleeping through the alarm. Back in the early nineties I would get home from a week at work get my head down for a few hours get up at 1am and head for Sywell couldn't do that now

I thought it was just me who had trouble sleeping before a trip. I’m worse than a little kid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reaction score
I don't sleep well period,it matters not if i'm going fishing or not,I do however sleep a bit better after i've been...

maceo

Reaction score
When I was a kid, my dad used to take me fishing and that's how I caught the bug. I still remember the early morning starts, terrifying sideways edging along narrow paths through stingers that were taller than I was, to some distant isolated swim. We used to go the Ouse somewhere North of Milton Keynes way - but long before that was built of course. He was always a Jack Hargreaves admirer and loved river fishing with a passion. He made his own floats, (some of which I have now for example) and was always reading up on it and trying new methods.

He must have been incredibly patient because I'm very sure I must have been a constant pain in the arse and distraction from his own fishing - constantly in bird's nest tangles and catching trees, floating logs, the river bottom, the arse of my own trousers and anything else in the immediate vicinity that wasn't fish. I have painful memories of constantly smacking the water with the tip of my rod when trying to cast and causing all sorts of diverse forms of involuntary hullabaloo that would scare any sensible fish for miles and would cause explosions of exasperation from the next swim along. In my defence I would say that, looking back, those were jungle-fied overgrown hideaway swims that would test many experienced anglers and after showing me the basics, he did just leave me with a pint of maggots, a cheese roll and a can of coke and beggar off to his swim out of sight round the corner leaving me to get on with it as best I could and work things out for myself. But I suppose that's how things were in those days. Of course, over time I did get a bit more nimble and learned a few things and today, well I would say I'm not far off competent. At least I can cast a bit better now and there are fewer tangles.

I'm unsure how much of our fishing was voluntary and how much was my mum pressuring him to take me for a bit of peace and quiet to be honest. Well, he must have been reasonably willing, because he always treated me well and would always, eventually, respond to my desperate pleas to help free me from whatever catastrophe I'd managed to land myself in. "Just hold on a minute there....I've just got something sniffing around....I'll be there shortly....just hold on...". I remember him catching some cracking chub.

Anyway, years gone by and rock has died and Susie went and left us etc..now he's in his mid-80s and has many heart problems especially. Had a triple stent operation recently and has a pacemaker. Mainly good days, but has some where he feels awful and faint and wobbly etc.

I'd tell him about my fishing and how I was getting on and my mum said he had been talking about wanting to go. I was a bit dubious about it because I know he doesn't like lakes and specially built platforms and all that, so it would have to be a river. Fortunately where I fish on the upper Thames, there is a way through a farm that lets him drive right up to the bank to offload his gear, then he can park back by the gate. However it has high steep banks and the water can be quite deep and fast moving at times. My mum did not want him to be out of my sight.

I got there about 10 mins early and picked two nice open flat swims next to each other. Tried to give him the best one, with overhanging trees on the far bank, while mine was just bland open water. We got all set up and I gave him some corn, maggots and hemp I was using. He was fishing OK, but with the float way under-shotted. I was too embarrassed to say anything to be honest. He was asking me the depth, but of course that depends on what line you're going to fish. I like to go shallow and fish right over on the far bank, but if there's nothing happening I'll go a foot or two deeper and try the edge of the boat channel. Trying different depths is part of waggler fishing a river for me. I was surprised that he seemed to have forgotten so much. Anyway, I caught loads of roach and dace and my dad did catch some but only maybe 4 or 5. He had a good time anyway. We packed up and had a pint and a sandwich for lunch in the local pub by the river, which was really nice.

My mum says he enjoyed it and talked about it a lot, but he was worried that he's lost his skills. I said for her to tell him that I still need to catch about another 5000 fish to get near his total. The trouble is, there does appear to be some truth in that he's extremely rusty and has forgotten some complete basics. It's funny how time has reversed our roles. Still, apparently he was so inspired by the trip that he's bought himself a new fishing chair. I'm looking at going again this Thursday because a) it's roach-a-rama this time of year. He can't miss, surely! and b) I need to get these trips in while the weather stays mild.

I confess it's crossed my mind that to some extent I'm going to have to direct my attention to making sure he's OK rather than to my fishing. But I'm sure you'll agree, that I more than owe him that.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Really enjoyed that Maceo, lovely write up, we could do with more like that, that's what fishing is all about to me and life! Reminds me of a similar journey with my Dad and it is the sort of fishing I love as well. We fished the Thames a bit as well, sometimes journeying out of London, I still love the Thames. My Dad's trick was to put a big red cork float on (his eyesight got bad) and find a eddy so he could just sit and watch it go round and round. Believe me he caught some good fish like that, he reckoned there would always be some big perch, roach or chub that lived in those eddies and they would just get fed up with watching his bait continuing going past its nose, and eventually have to take it. It might take it all day but he was often right. And seeing him happy on the bank was a big reward for me, good luck with your Dad, keep it up.

Last edited: