Where to fish - south ESSEX

Jeff

Reaction score
I expect that most of you in the area have fished of know of the fishing upon Southend Peir...?
I've fished there from the age of about 13yrs or so (am 27 now) and remember good bags of fish to be had. OK, there were never monsters but you were always sure to get your string pulled when you went, rain or shine... My best fish from the peir is a 2lb 10oz Plaice that I had in my first year at 13yrs old. I've also taken good Bass, Pout, Mackerel, Scad, Flounder and Whitting over the years...
Now... well I have been twice in the last couple of months and have blanked both times, not good! Did what I've always done but failed to even get a SINGLE bite on both occasions. It seemed that nobody else had anything either...?
So, I'm fed-up with the place and am looking for pastures new. I only get out once every few months being stuck in London at work all week and having little time at the weekends. So I am looking for other areas to try. Don't mind beach casting but prefer jetty's, break-waters, harbours and peirs as I often have the odd beginner in tow from the family! Live in Barking and am willing to travel up to 1 and 1/2 hours...

Any recommendations...?

Thanks!

M

Mel Crighton

Jeff,

I used to fish the beach in front of the Bradwell Power Station and had a few good days there, another place is Southwold pier yo may like to try, not fished the beach for a few years, Dover is fishing well according to my SIL he went last weekend and had small codling and bass, hope this is helpful.

D

dave morton

There is an article on the pier by alan yates in this months sea angler and it comes "highly recommended"...strange how different peoples experiences can forge different views of the same venue!

Dave

Jeff

Reaction score
Cheers guys,

Dave, I think our Alan could catch a fish from a puddle mate! Maybe I just had a bad run of luck there... I will buy Sea Angler I think cause a few tips might be all it will take to get back on track... I do like the peir as it is close to home, the tackle shop is at the head of the peir for bait in the morning and it is a comfortable, easy day out which I need after a week in the city!

Cheers...

alan

Reaction score
2 things
1 is your bait fresh?, ive had times when with fresh bait not had a bite, but with old bait(ragworms 3/3days old) ive had some brilliant nights

2 have you tried sticking luminos beads on your hook length, or the little chemical glow lights, at times with no bites, ive stuck them on near the hook and started catching.

Jeff

Reaction score
Good ideas there Alan...

Bait wise, it's whatever Southend Angling Centre have got in! Am a little restricted.

I have actually got some glowing beads and some starlghts from course fishing, might give them a try like you say... Thing is I have always got the impression that fish will feed if there in the vasinity of your bait...???

alan

Reaction score
not to sure about feeding if they are near the bait, all i know is that at times when i have been having a bad night ive tried sticking a nightlight on and started catching.

on the bait side, if you have any bait left over use the following night when its nearly dead, done that a few times and found that it can and mostly does fish better.

Ian Pickering

Reaction score
I have given up on the essex beaches, no fish there at all. I used to fish at bradwell and a good night would see 40 whiting out of the gulley in front of the pill box, all pin whiting though, a long cast would catch the odd dab and a few bigger whiting, for me not enough to be worth the effort.
Southend Pier? has anyone caught a fish off it this year, probably not.
Luminous beads. Have you got a Toys'R'Us near you? If you have go and ask for the beads kids use to make pictures that they have to heat by ironing so they stick together, I KID YOU NOT, they come in all colours including glow in the dark and cost about ?5 for as many as you can use in 30 years. You will also need sequins as the hole through the middle is about 3mm dia.
I now fish Folkestone pier but havn't been down there for about 10 weeks, going in 2 weeks time. Last time I was there 19 pout, 1 pollock and 1 doggie.
Never believe what the person who is selling you bait says. Cos this is what he will tell you.
"There are so many fish they are jumping out of the sea into your bait bucket to get at your worms mate"
The bloke on the beach will say
"bin really bad, not seen a fish all week, want these worms mate"

Jeff

Reaction score
Cheers Ian,

Might well have a look at Folkstone Peir like yourself mate.

I don't mind what I catch as long as I get a little sport...

I looked in the Sea Angler Mag as was recommended to by someone in this thread... Still looks the same and I might add that this artical was written in the summer from the looks of it from the Garfish cault etc... Still not like it was 10 yrs ago!!!

keith healey

Reaction score
try clacton or walton pier 45 mins from romford ,or from beach in clacton. left of pier about 1 mile public toilets at end of brighton rd walk down ramp to beach .if you go on piers take a dropnet with plenty of lead in it ,tie a mackrel in it & youll have stacks of fresh hermits (freezes up lovely too) this bait is as good as fresh lug & will save you a fortune ,,or try halfpenny pier at harwich ,,cod whiting pout n bass from all .southends still good for thornies end of may us an inch section of herring ,.