which fluorocarbon hooklength.

angusrr41

Reaction score
looking for a fluorocarbon hook length for the new season. will mainly be fishing for barbel on the Trent with some snaggy swims. Any suggestions on which brand would be appreciated.
Cheers Angus

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
looking for a fluorocarbon hook length for the new season. will mainly be fishing for barbel on the Trent with some snaggy swims. Any suggestions on which brand would be appreciated.
Cheers Angus

I had this recommended to me a few ears ago when jigging for zander....

Seaguar NEW Fluorocarbon 50m Various Sizes | eBay

It was very good and proved to be spot on fr the zander fishing. Last year I tried it for fishing a tricky/snaggy swim for barbel and it worked well. If i'm being honest i'd say a good mono is just as good and a hell of a lot cheaper!

Reaction score
Incognito for me too,I use it on our weedier,smaller rivers in summer for clear water,i'm not totally convinced on the Trent and certainly wouldn't have it on at night,but everyone to their own.

Neil Maidment

Reaction score
Definitely Kryston Incognito. However, I was told it is no longer supplied in the lower 7lb/9lb/11lb versions, the new owners having reduced their range to purely carp related items. I've not seen it in any outlets but they still show a 5lbs version on their website?

barbelboi

Reaction score
Kryston Incognito for me too when I use flouro - in many instances I now prefer to use Drennan Sinkbraid. Fleabay still sell the lower b/s spools....

B

binka

I'm on the Trent most of the time during the season and I don't use anything fancy, just a robust and reliable mono normally but Drennan Supplex if I feel I need flouro.

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
Definitely Kryston Incognito. However, I was told it is no longer supplied in the lower 7lb/9lb/11lb versions, the new owners having reduced their range to purely carp related items. I've not seen it in any outlets but they still show a 5lbs version on their website?

There was still 5/7/9 to be had if you looked around a while ago. I stocked up on 5lb last year when Clarky tipped me off about this. Very narrow minded move IMO...its great stuff.

Last edited:

Neil Maidment

Reaction score
There was still 5/7/9 to be had if you looked around a while ago. I stocked up on 5lb last year when Clarky tipped me off about this. Very narrow minded move IMO...its great stuff.

Dave Chilton tipped me off some time ago (it was his to sell and I got the impression he wasn't pleased at the direction the new owners were taking). Still got a couple of spools left and use it for a lot of my barbel fishing and virtually all my fly fishing.

Reaction score
Well I won't bother with the stuff if incognito isn't available,feel happier with mono...

dicky123

Reaction score
Preston Powerline. I found this some time ago myself, but since then everyone I know uses it.

Its reliable, and that's the main point. Its fine for the breaking strain, and seems robust enough for the Trent rocks. I use .013 and .015 and don't see any need to go finer for barbel on the float.

Like Steve I also like Drennan Supplex Fluro. Both in 4.4 and 5.12 strains. But like all fluorocarbons it's just too expensive, and I cannot convince myself its worth the extra price over the Preston line.

At those smaller breaking strains due to it's thinness, I don't think: "it sinks faster" is a valid argument. However it may be more rugged.

I use it on occasion but to be honest only because I think it may help, I may be being conned.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
I only ever use Incognito having tried a few others but settled on Dave's product.

It does exactly what it says on the tin (well the box actually) and it has never, ever let me down.

It comes in 5lb B/S upwards too . . . . . excellent product.

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
I only ever use Incognito having tried a few others but settled on Dave's product.

It comes in 5lb B/S upwards too . . . . . excellent product.

Not any more it doesnt. The new owners don't produce it in the lower strains anymore which is both very narrow sighted and a complete pain. By far the best yet produced.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Not any more it doesnt. The new owners don't produce it in the lower strains anymore which is both very narrow sighted and a complete pain. By far the best yet produced.

I didn't know that, just as well I got a good supply from Dave some time ago then . . . .

The 5lb was/is brilliant . . . .

dicky123

Reaction score
Interesting, we cannot be PROPER barbel anglers as they all us, BRAID.:wh

Had this discussion before, I find the moment you ask other people why they use it, they get all defensive and aggressive.

For me I think braid is not heavy enough ( the coated stuff by its nature has a plastic outer-coating, that floats.) Non-coated braid leads to tangles, so people add gadgets/weight rubber to stop tangles. This then adds more components to the already complicated rig!
There is nothing better than a simple swivel, buffer bead, and nylon in whatever make you prefer. Or a simple shot on the line/freeline. I like Binka now like Supplex, but normal Sensor, or Berkley XL is just as good.

As long as your confident fine. I just ask myself each time I add something, do I really need this. Better to have as little between me and the fish, in my humble view?

thecrow

Reaction score
Years ago it was believed that to catch carp the softest hook length material was needed, this then changed to using stiff material and on to coated materials and further stripping a bit off the coated material, they cannot all be right can they? and imo its all bo!!0£k$ put about by sponsored anglers and the manufacturers of all this weird and wonderful stuff that if the blurb was to be believed will fool every fish within a mile :)

Years ago I used either Maxima or Sylcast (pre Sensor days) for both my reel and hook lengths, it didn't seem to bother the fish at that time, in fact I still use Maxima on my cheap pin :rolleyes: ( its suffered none of the forecast disasters yet) now I use Sensor for the reel and Supplex for my hook lengths.

My reasons for using this combination is because I catch fish when using it, could I catch more by using a softer, stiffer, thicker, stripped back an inch hook length? who knows you can never tell in angling because each day is different all I do know is that I am happy and more importantly confident with what I use and if it is doing the required job that's all that matters.

To much riggyness has followed ex Carp anglers into Barbel fishing imo its not needed and anything extra on the line is just something else for weed to catch on, to catch in a snag or simply be there for no other reason than somebody told anglers they needed it.

Goldfish

Reaction score
A bit late in the day but I'd thought I'd share my opinions on different hooklength and rigs. There's basically no difference ! I always think about the korda underwater DVD no.3 where's he's fishing for carp. The water was clear and there was no wind. He tried every hooklength he could think of. Fluoro, combi rig, mono, big hook, little hook, long hooklength, short hooklength. He tried this for 3 days whilst conditions stayed the same. For all his troubles I think he had one tench in the first evening. For 3 days he struggled until conditions changed. On the 3rd day a wind blew and put ripples on the water. The undertow made the water cloudy. All of a sudden he started catching. It didn't make a difference what hooklength he used he caught. I think he even caught on a size 2 hook although I'm not too sure (been a while since I've seen it). What does this all prove? It proves that rigs don't matter one bit. It's all down to water conditions and how the fish are feeding.There's a saying 'rigs are there to catch anglers, not fish'. I think this is very true. I've fished for barbel for a good many years and tried all sorts of hooklength materials. Ive never known any to make much difference. Now I just use a mono hooklength. Nice and cheap, decent abrasion resistance. I don't even think the colour of line makes a difference either. Find the Fish, create greed within the shoal and the fish won't care if you're using a ridiculously priced coated braid or a 2 foot length of mono off your reel.

Reaction score
I think your right Mick,if a barbel takes coated braid,he'll take anything,I more often than not use Drennan SS mono as hooklink...

flightliner

Reaction score
Why flourocarbon for Barbel, they're one brick short of a wall, about the easiest fish to catch on the Trent.
Ten pound Maxima is all you need for hooklengths.
If it's float fishing ultima is good.

Last edited: