Which whip

LincsKev

Reaction score
Morning all
I'm in the market for a 4/5 meter whip don't want to break the bank any suggestions please ????

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
I’m not sure if they are still available on the market but the Milo Alborellas are extremely good.

I’ve had fish over 4 pound on my 4m with never a scare.

Maybe try second hand as a possibility.

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
Bobco do a Browning Black Magic Telescopic Whip 5 metres, very reasonable money. Daiwa Connoiseur 4.5 Metre whip also good value.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
You can buy my unused 8 metre Drennan acolyte pro Tele/take apart whip .
Spare flick tip top three , I put a number six elastic in the other kit, easily removed to put flick tip back if wanted to .
£225

nottskev

Reaction score
You can buy my unused 8 metre Drennan acolyte pro Tele/take apart whip .
Spare flick tip top three , I put a number six elastic in the other kit, easily removed to put flick tip back if wanted to .
£225

If I wasn't trying to sell some gear rather than buy more Mark ......... Can I ask how you find the action? So ,many whips these days seem to have tapers/actions like poles and have short-lining options in mind, ie stiff and slow taper take-apart with action only in the tele top 2 or 3. I have a 7m Daiwa thing here, called something like SR3 and I was disappointed (mail ordered it, mistake) to find it's nothing like the supple, flexible through action the last decent whip, a 6m Garbolino way back, had. It's more like a short canal pole, and I just don't fancy it for playing anything decent that comes along on the flick tip option, and if you elasticate the hollow tip it's not really a whip anymore.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
If I wasn't trying to sell some gear rather than buy more Mark ......... Can I ask how you find the action? So ,many whips these days seem to have tapers/actions like poles and have short-lining options in mind, ie stiff and slow taper take-apart with action only in the tele top 2 or 3. I have a 7m Daiwa thing here, called something like SR3 and I was disappointed (mail ordered it, mistake) to find it's nothing like the supple, flexible through action the last decent whip, a 6m Garbolino way back, had. It's more like a short canal pole, and I just don't fancy it for playing anything decent that comes along on the flick tip option, and if you elasticate the hollow tip it's not really a whip anymore.
I had the SR3 , fine at 5 metres ,after that it got heavier , gave up using it at 7 or 8 metres .
The Drennan is totally different , based on a waggle in the garden , it is easy to cast at full length , I have had someone pull the elastic out to see what the tip would be like on a bonus fish , No problem .
The flick tip is fine enough to latch onto a minnow and swing that in .
The whip is similar diameter at the butt as my 4 metre acolyte landing net handle , very slim , I think the given weight for the whip is about 230g
I looked at the Daiwa Conny 8 metre Tele/ take apart , wasn't impressed .
I bought it to use on the Thames but never got round to it .

rob48

Reaction score
Despite having telescopic whips of differing designated lengths I find myself using my Cadence Tele-T/As more often. The 9m has a telescopic T5m with a crisp, but not too rigid, action that stiffens slightly at the butt as individual sections are added.
Similarly the 6m, with tele top3m, behaves in the same manner, although being shorter is obviously slightly stiffer.
I have a spare T5 and T3 for each one, and combined with my Milo Luxury (8m with T3 tele) covers all of my whip fishing requirements.
Incidentally, none of my whips have elastics in them, I only fish with the flick-tips.