Why was closed????

preston96

Reaction score
The enchanting killer that is.....i can see nothing wrong with it.........Posters are disapearing at an alarming rate and threads are closed for no apparent reason.

Last edited:

Neil Maidment

Reaction score
Paul, the reasons are clearly stated.

I believe its a crying shame that such a thread descends into personal insults from people with quite valid and important views. The underlying article was, in my opinion, one of the better examples of what this site can do. Very passionately written with considerable thought. The resulting debate was excellent, informative and thought provoking... and then.....!

Why do some people on here insist on throwing insults against others who may have differing opinions or view?

Freedom of speech runs hand in hand with responsibility.

preston96

Reaction score
You have lost me Neil..........i have seen far worse.

Looks like Phil n me will be next then.........................Freedom of speech makes room for passion as well as responsibility!

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
Was it my fault?

I had a bit of a thing with Paul Boote, but I don't think it went over the top at all?

preston96

Reaction score
i'm still lost.......i cannot see anything in it to justify closing it?

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
Me neither Paul???

It sprung from a very emmotional article, should we be allowed to protect our rights, our fishing rights?

Phil gave us the scientific facts and others gave their personal reasons, a fantastic debate ensued.

Passions run high and opinions were expressed, none directly related to the beliefs of FishingMagic and what it represents.

Personal opinions make a debate, that's what it's all about and I'll buy Paul Boote a pint if he wants to sit down with me and talk about it. Handshake and pint offered to you Paul.....

At the end of the day it's about fishing and how 'we' see our sport, if something threatens it, we want to protect it.

So no, I can't understand why it was closed?

The bad one

Reaction score
Nop Guy I'm claiming it!
I've got the personal mail to prove it :D
I called it as I see it, but some complained apparently.
But hey, as they say no publicity is bad publicity!;)

Stealph Viper

Reaction score
This is just getting silly now ............

Why can't the offending Poster be formally warned, and if they're behaviour doesn't improve, then the offending poster should be banned from posting on FM for say 1 day, that way at least other posters can still post there opinions.

This is just another case of Heavy Handed Tactics ....................

Last edited:
Reaction score
I've looked at the thread and yes I've seen worse. However and this is supposition...

It was a very valid topic which highlighted a crucial issue not just in terms of fish and fishery managemnt and protection but also in consideration of the best ways of developing the numbers of previously endangered species in their best interests and those of the wider environment.

However the topic turned on a subject that is potentially deliterious to the interests of angling in terms of public perception. There are elements both in mainstream media and amongst "fringe " groups who do wish to get angling banned or severely restricted. They search through all manner of publications, blogs etc. in order to find any tit-bit that they can take out of context or deliberately falsify in order to further their cause and damage ours.

Perhaps, just perhaps -it was felt we were in danger of this happening.

On the other hand, maybe, we have just taken the vigorous disagreement a bit too far. I think after the excesses of the Burble Whores the line does seem to be erring on the side of caution.

Annoying perhaps, frustrating certainly but probably still a price worth paying for the quality of the FM site. And as an ex-rugger player and cricketer you always accept the refs/umpires decision.....even if they're wrong!! (Those of you moaning about the mods must all be soccer players;))

honslow

Reaction score
That was tiring...
Yes, otters are, and will continue to be, a highly contentious subject.
I agree with Fred (!!!!!), the ref's always right....

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
OK, guys.

I can re-open the thread if -

• You feel you have some more or fresher information to add to the debate that will enlighten people further
  • Everyone promises to be civil to each other in their responses and sticks to the facts and doesn't mud-sling

I have no axe to grind on this subject whatsoever, but a few complaints by email, PM and phone suggested it should be closed before it got worse. There had been two days with no posts whatsoever and it was assumed that everyone had had their say and nothing new in the way of information was forthcoming.

Each has their own opinion, some heart-felt, some say it's hard evidence, but no-one seemd to be budging and it's fair to say in those circumstances that it's a draw. You agree to disagree. In the end we should all be members of the Angling Trust and stand together as brothers.

Bear in mind also what Posh Paul says that these forums are trawled by people with adverse plans against us.

One more complaint or personal attack though and it will not only be closed, it will be deleted and that information lost for good.

Post again after here

honslow

Reaction score
It always is Fred, it always is....
Give me some time, see what I can dig up!