Will you use a rechargeable hand warmer while you fishing and feeling cold?

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
I have a couple of rechargeable hand warmers that I bought last year from Amazon. I have been really pleased with them. No stinky hands from petrol which is a plus. If it’s really brass monkey weather I do what Mark suggested and rub vaseline into my skin while my hands are warm until it is completely absorbed. I did this before a night session last year for chub, when the temperature dropped to -4 degrees. I was using mashed bread until it and the rinsing bucket for my hands froze solid.
IMG_5223.jpeg
IMG_5562.jpeg

Last edited:

The bad one

Reaction score
I have a new great cheap way of keeping your hands warm when fishing, it’s called “pocketing“ It’s achieved by putting you hands in your side pockets of your topcoat. The higher the tog of the fishing jacket the warmer your hands are.
I have to stress here the topcoat has to have the side pockets above the waist of the individuals, so your hand(s) can be withdrawn quickly to strike at any bites you get on a very cold day.
These hand warmers have a greater function than any mechanical hand warmers, as they keep your torso warm and dry as well!
Gloves are also a good way of keeping your hands warm, but not to everybody’s liking.

Aknib

Reaction score
I sometimes wonder if we're missing the point when it comes to keeping warm.

I admit i'm a bit obsessed with this but I have good reason to be and I might have relayed this story before but many moons ago, long before the advent of standard car air conditioning, I worked out of an office in Digbeth, Birmingham.

A certain lady noticed my state of overheat during a heatwave, having come in from a day on the road seeing clients and took me to a sink where she then ran a cold water tap over the veins of my wrists and it had an instant cooling effect.

It had other effects too and yes we did but that's beside the point.

So...

Should we be looking to insulate (which prevents heat loss but doesn't warm anything up) the affected parts or should we be getting clever and looking where we can warm up the blood flow, where possible, to in turn supply heat via warmer blood to the affected areas as opposed to just covering them up and preventing heat loss?

Wrist warmers??

I'm certain there's mileage in this and I don't think it would be too difficult to work out a product form.

Philip

Reaction score
Nice idea but I think you missed the boat...this bloke got there first..
:)

1697743434578.png

Last edited:

nottskev

Reaction score
A bit of everything for me, Steve, insulation and warming. Warm clothes, Neutrogena cream on the back of my hands (odourless and I don't care for vaseline) and, lately, a heated waistcoat. I always felt the wrists were a "weak" area, and a few years ago I started wearing sweat bands in winter - I've got long arms and they cover the area that sleeves don't, especially when you extend your arm with a rod etc. Another area to look after, for me, is the neck, and I use a "buff" (odd word I only met in recent years) which is a fabric tube you pull over your head and settle around your neck.
I've tried fingerless neoprene gloves and found them ok for the kind of fishing with few bites and fish, barbel for instance, but found they hamper me for bite-a-cast fishing for eg roach.

wetthrough

Reaction score
I always have trouble lighting my Peacocks any tips?
I don't have tips for lighting as I don't have problems myself. Just fill and follow instructions. But having done a little searching in the past it seems the purity of the fluid is critical. Some fluids don't work at all, apparently. From my own experience, Zippo fluid doesn't last as long as Ronsonol. Using Zippo they'd be starting to cool down mid afternoon. I fired mine up about 5.30 am this morning with Ronsonol. They're still warm at 9.40pm.

mikench

Reaction score
I’m not sure that one can warm the blood of a warm blooded mammal by applying heat. Cooling is a different story hence cold water ,a fan or a breeze will cool us down. Sweat and it’s evaporation is also very effective at cooling us down. Working up a sweat at the copier Steve sounds just the ticket.😉

Kevin aka Aethelbald

Reaction score
I used to do a lot of sailing and windsurfing, and was an RYA water-sports instructor. An old sailor once said to me:

"If your hands are cold, wear a hat".

Keith M

Reaction score
I’ve still got a couple of the old Shakespeare hand/pocket warmers with the charcoal fuel sticks, problem is that although one works fine; the other one is a little too air proof so the burning charcoal sticks inside keep going out.

Here’s a similar one that’s sold by Highlander.

Nowerdays I have a battery powered heated waistcoat which keeps me nice and warm and snug; and a warm fire at home if it gets a little too cold :)

Keith

Last edited:

Aknib

Reaction score
I used to do a lot of sailing and windsurfing, and was an RYA water-sports instructor. An old sailor once said to me:

"If your hands are cold, wear a hat".
Like many I used to piss in my wet suit during colder weather when windsurfing, when jet skiing Winter was the only time I wore a helmet just to keep the head warm(er).

Effective but highly uncomfortable in a fishing scenario :ROFLMAO:

Agree on the hat though, pretty much like gloves and thick insulating socks, they won't generate heat but they will minimise the loss of it whereas something like a hand warmer will warm up those extremities though i'm not convinced they're any benefit at all in terms of the warm core principle and the entirety of the body.

I'm still with sensible layers of clothing, a relatively snug fitting base layer with looser additional layers which trap any escaping heat and a stodgy breakfast such as hot porridge oats works for me, when it's really cold I will often take a food flask of said stuff to top up on throughout the day but boy do you have to make it milky, no matter how runny I make it in the flask it still seems to set like concrete and feels like consuming hot pebbles right to the inner core!

My good friend Kev joined me whilst doing a spot of Roach fishing last weekend on an ancient, local mill pool and my bigger challenge came in the form of numb fingers whilst tying size 20 spade end hooks despite the weather being reasonably mild but that was a symptom of Raynauld's, exacerbated by being on a waiting list to correct severe carpal tunnel and not the weather so i'm always on the lookout with anything to do with the subject of warm hands though I have to concede that it won't necessarily be of benefit to me.

Did catch some Roach though...

rf.jpg

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
Like many I used to piss in my wet suit during colder weather when windsurfing, when jet skiing Winter was the only time I wore a helmet just to keep the head warm(er).

Effective but highly uncomfortable in a fishing scenario :ROFLMAO:

Agree on the hat though, pretty much like gloves and thick insulating socks, they won't generate heat but they will minimise the loss of it whereas something like a hand warmer will warm up those extremities though i'm not convinced they're any benefit at all in terms of the warm core principle and the entirety of the body.

I'm still with sensible layers of clothing, a relatively snug fitting base layer with looser additional layers which trap any escaping heat and a stodgy breakfast such as hot porridge oats works for me, when it's really cold I will often take a food flask of said stuff to top up on throughout the day but boy do you have to make it milky, no matter how runny I make it in the flask it still seems to set like concrete and feels like consuming hot pebbles right to the inner core!

My good friend Kev joined me whilst doing a spot of Roach fishing last weekend on an ancient, local mill pool and my bigger challenge came in the form of numb fingers whilst tying size 20 spade end hooks despite the weather being reasonably mild but that was a symptom of Raynauld's, exacerbated by being on a waiting list to correct severe carpal tunnel and not the weather so i'm always on the lookout with anything to do with the subject of warm hands though I have to concede that it won't necessarily be of benefit to me.

Did catch some Roach though...

View attachment 28388

Note to myself; Never, ever, ever, buy a second hand wetsuit!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk