Winter mojo

davebhoy

Reaction score
My second hydrocortisone injection was also a failure, so I suspect that you're describing what comes next. Currently waiting for scan results, Mike.

Hi Mike

I'm holding off going to the drs with my bad shoulder for as long as I can, it's an old cricket injury caused by wear so I'm not confident the prognosis will be good. But it's starting to wake me up and it's getting worse, especially after a day of trotting. I've spoken to a few people who have had the hydrocortisone injection and none of them have had any relief from it

robtherake

Reaction score
Hi Mike

I'm holding off going to the drs with my bad shoulder for as long as I can, it's an old cricket injury caused by wear so I'm not confident the prognosis will be good. But it's starting to wake me up and it's getting worse, especially after a day of trotting. I've spoken to a few people who have had the hydrocortisone injection and none of them have had any relief from it

The injection worked like a charm on my other shoulder, which has been fine since. This one is more stubborn, so there may be some rotator cuff damage, according to the doc. I should know either way within the week.

mikench

Reaction score
I had a classic frozen shoulder and it became increasingly painful to the point where I could hardly change gear on my car. The unpronounceable procedure above worked for me! Look it up on google for details. I had it done at the Bridgwater Hospital in Manchester.

Last edited:

sam vimes

Reaction score
If it wasn't for grayling, I doubt that I'd do much winter fishing. If I attempt to go for anything else, I pick my times carefully. Scratching about for little reward is not my idea of fun. I could probably drive a few extra miles and go for some chub, but I'm not too fond of legering for them. My occasional alternative is some half decent roach on a day ticket stillwater. However, I only go there when the temperatures are favourable.

terry m

Reaction score
I love winter fishing, but like others this year has been a struggle.

The main reason for this is simply that the rivers are still so low that they are making the going so tough. I cannot remember a year like this for ages.

flightliner

Reaction score
Winter is just another season where I can fish , The weather seldom prevents me from going unless the roads and rivers are deep in snow or water.
I dont particularly enjoy fishing beneath a brolly but most times I can manage without to much drama. High winds are more problamatical but theres usually someplace to go where its effects can be minimised.
In one respect its the best time of the year with many species being at there best.
These days variety in winter is the way I go and it keeps my fishing more interesting (for me) than chasing say one species thro the colder months, something I keep in reserve for much of the warmer weather parts of the year.

bracket

Reaction score
I fish althrough the winter months, at least twice a week, almost always on the river. Being retired I can pick the most favourable days and tend to fish no more than four hour sessions. Like most I have good thermal gear and I have no problem with the cold. For example I have been out today, in dense fog and minus 3 degrees, taking seven good grayling in a short two hour stint. I had to give it best after two hours as the rod rings were constantly freezing up and I could not put the float through. Whilst I could have caught on the feeder, for grayling, well that's not really sporting Old Chap. So a short session but worthwhile, it's just good to be out, the trick is knowing when you have had enough. Pete.

flightliner

Reaction score
Oh, one other weather concern is thick fog, just checked sheffield/newark on my mobile weather app--- not looking good :eek:

Philip

Reaction score
Work and personal life rather than mojo restricting my fishing at present. Weather wise I can enjoy being out even on the coldest day, you can always rely on a Chub or two to tug your string.

Its rain I can't hack. I have had more than my fair share of soakings down the years (...attempting on one epic occasion to take off and dry every item of saturated clothing under a tiny hand dryer at little chef as a mate stood guard at the door springs to mind..)

No thanks. Now I rarely go fishing if its raining anymore...no need for waterproofs, no lugging heavy umbrellas, no soaked car or drying all the kit after. Its a relevation !...I can't understand why I didnt do it years ago :D

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
I happily fished up until 23rd December but then Xmas was followed by the realisation that going into the New Year my time would be taken up with pressing house matters and the major work that needed doing. This I have done (fished only once) and my mind is set on pushing the work along until I can see some clear daylight otherwise it will drift and drift. That said, when I look at the continual heavy frosts with temps well below freezing for most of every day I don't think I'm missing much, plus I think it safe to say the lakes I fish may well be frozen to some extent!!

As I approach 74 its fair to say I don't go anywhere near as much as I once did through winter, BUT like others I do enjoy being out when the temps are above (say) 3 degrees or so and 4/6 hour sessions are on the cards. I have no mental anti against cold (I do long walks year round in all weathers) so providing I think I have a reasonable chance of fish I'm up for going, outside of snow etc etc.
I am a big believer in 'swim building' through the cold months, choosing to keep several swims going over a week and only fishing where I have, as I say, I good chance of fish. Perhaps it is the challenge I love, the isolation it brings when I know I am going to be the only man on the bank................

Nothing in my opinion, beats seeing the dip of the float in cool, misty, still conditions followed by a good roach or two sliding over the net and this followed by copious amounts of tea before the next cast!

Oh yes, I do go absolutely OTT around warmth and hot drink as to fish and feel very cold is just plain stupidity IMHO and where some fall down and decide 'not to bother', yet all it takes is a bit of planning, not rushing around, and the right gear to make outings comfortable and enjoyable - and they must be that, enjoyable!!

Obviously, you have to 'want' to go in the first place, and that for me is it - I want to go, and I love it!

Last edited:

robertroach

Reaction score
I really enjoy my winter fishing, so far this winter it's been perch fishing on a stillwater instead of my usual winter roach, but good results almost every time.

I am getting the itch to go to the river again now, but after a few nights of hard frosts I reckon the water will be too cold today, and with the air pressure above 1020mb I am going to postpone the trip to later in the week, although I might pop out for a grayling.

Does anyone measure the water temperature, and when do you decide the roach will feed?

I can't wait for the southwesterly gales and the low pressure weather systems to get out again!
Must be slightly bonkers I think, or my wife thinks.

mikench

Reaction score
Yes bonkers is a fair conclusion to draw!;)

I will be out on thursday and friday I hope, giving wet bread one last chance. I even bought a Challah loaf as recommended! I will have maggots as a back up.

I am going for a 1lb plus roach:)

peterjg

Reaction score
Robert roach - I usually go fishing 2 or 3 times a week, now mostly for roach. I have used a thermometer for many years and have found that roach feed best when the temperature is 42F or above - but there are always exceptions! If the WT is 45F then I feel very confident.

There are a couple of useful websites that I refer to as well: Maidenhead Rowing Club record the Thames flow level and water temperature, another one is Meteor Data Centre which give ongoing water temperatures, dissolved oxygen and turbidity. A rising WT is much better. Hope this helps.

robertroach

Reaction score
That's interesting, Peterjg. There's no info about the places I fish to help me, so I'm thinking about getting a thermometer.

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
Owen Wentworth always reckoned 40F for chub, 41F for dace and 42F for roach on the Stour but worth noting that parts of the Wimborne stretch warmed by the Allen and also the sewage outfall. On a day when the water was barely above freezing he once witnessed me catch three 2lb roach in consecutive casts and walked away muttering that it was impossible for the roach to be feeding!

Could hardly raise a bite after grayling last week and the freezing fog bringing black ice where I live the last two mornings. The fog has returned this afternoon. Maybe warmer towards the weekend?

peterjg

Reaction score
Robertroach - I made my fishing thermometer from an aquarium thermometer which I glued in a piece of oval conduit, a slot was cut in it so that you can see the mercury. A piece of lead was glued in the end so that it sinks.

Jim Crosskey 2

Reaction score
Going to rock the boat a bit but here goes...

I love the winter for fishing!

Some reasons for that, not necessarily in order - the banks are less busy, even at the weekends. So hopefully that choice swim you've got in mind is available.

A half-decent fish caught in the depths of winter makes me much happier than the same fish caught in summer. Winter fish often look as though they've just been pressed out of a mint (whereas in summer, they can be a bit scabby and literally sha*ged out!)

I actually also find that its much easier to fit my typical winter fishing in to a winters day, given the other demands of work or family. That's because I typically only want to go for a couple of hours in the winter. So whilst the sessions are shorter, the frequency definitely increases. And experience has taught me that you can spend all day out there and then only get a bite at dusk. So now, I only go at dusk!

Also, I love to trot a float. It's not the only method I'll use through the winter, but it's definitely my favourite. Come winter, when some water has pushed out the weed, trotting can be vastly improved.

Lastly - you see less wildlife, but somehow in the winter what you see is more dramatic. I seem to have seen buzzards coming down much lower (are they hungrier?) - I've seen mice about a lot (so maybe they don't hibernate) - everything seems to have a keenness about it in the winter which might be absent in summer.

So there you go, just a few of the reasons that keep me on the bank all year. Keep it short, keep it simple, keep it lightweight... and keep enjoying it!