Worm keeping

rayner

Reaction score
The feed I gave my dendras was either banana or melon both have to be left a couple of weeks out of the fridge to soften or the worms ignore them. I used to buy a couple of kilos of bananas or four melons a month, or I should say my wife did.

Bluenose

Reaction score
There is an excellent article (might be a blog) by a fella called Lee Fletcher, he used to post here, on keeping worms (dendras I think). Well worth a read. Another is a really good video by this lad.

Even after following the above, excellent, advice I've never been able to breed lobs, nor dendras for that matter. Lobs don't breed well in captivity, I don't know anyone who's done it successfully. WRT dendras, I've tried, but always struggled to have something that is self sustaining. It maybe that I sometimes use significant quantities in one go, depleting the breeding stock (Using 2 separate batches simply didn't work for me). It might just be that I am rubbish and just don't get the conditions spot on as they inevitably suffer a wormy extinction event of sorts. For me it's willys worms, once every 6 weeks, keep them on the garage floor in spring, autumn, winter... use the fridge in summer.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
Had a trip to Sainsburys Homebase, picked up a couple of plastic containers with lids ( only needed one lid) , Got home and drilled a few small holes in bottom and a few holes around the top of container that goes inside the other,
In went a kilo of worms with the medium they came in. Covered it with some wet ripped pages of newspaper, put lid on and put on workbench in garage, Will feed them at the end of the week.