Would you like to be a sponsered angler.

Philip

Reaction score
Yes.

I would not discount the idea out of hand but it would depend on the terms of the sponsership.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Depends on what was on offer, I might settle for a cortina and one dancing girl. However, as a sort of free spirit when it comes to angling I doubt I would want any sort of obligation impinging on that.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Our Oslo match team had sponsorship from both Mustad and Sensas which was profitable to all.

We had trips down to Sensas factories in France and met many of their other sponsored anglers as well as getting better than trade prices in everything.

Mustad also sponsored the Norwegian Team and although this was thirty years ago I am still using some of the Mustad hooks I got from them back then.

Alan Whitty

Reaction score
I was partially sponsored bait wise when fishing for Blackhorse, if you mean personally sponsored by a tackle company then no, never in a million years, because having to say tackle is brilliant when it is garbage doesn't sit with my morals, the companies being allowed to spread such dross should be criminalised...

nottskev

Reaction score
I'm already sponsored to the hilt, MicK. Ebay, GlaxoSmithKline, Johnson & Johnson, Pfizer, AstraZeneca, Badger Beers.

I'm not really bothered who is or isn't sponsored, but it's curious how people assume being sponsored equates to lying about bad products etc. Maybe it does in some cases (name 3?) but what about anglers who use the products and whose expertise contributes to tackle development? For instance, I've got some excellent rods here from three companies with the same angler's name on, and it seems fair to say he's improved the offer of every company he's been associated with. Surely it's not all about walking advertisements selling snake oil?

@Clive

Reaction score
I have a John Wilson Avon / Quiver and a Youngs John Wilson Heritage centrepin. But I didn't buy them on his recommendations. I doubt if he had much if any input into their design. Certainly not with the reel because you can buy the same product in various guises.

Drennan reels are a classic product that are recommended by the Drennan sponsored anglers yet they personally use other brands when it matters.

nottskev

Reaction score
Do Drennan make reels?
I have a John Wilson Avon / Quiver and a Youngs John Wilson Heritage centrepin. But I didn't buy them on his recommendations. I doubt if he had much if any input into their design. Certainly not with the reel because you can buy the same product in various guises.

Drennan reels are a classic product that are recommended by the Drennan sponsored anglers yet they personally use other brands when it matters.

Drennan do reels?

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
I always thought the John Wilson reel was basically a Allcocks Match Aerial which was long out of production 40 years ago though since revitalised in various guises.

When I fished for Barclays Bank AA we received expenses and time off including travel, accommodation, entry and bait expenses, plus gear from Octoplus. Team Castle got free bait from Yeovil Angling Centre. Fishing Magic through Graham Marsden gave me a lot of gear and a French fishing holiday so can't complain.

There seem to be many variants of sponsorship from being able to test carp baits that can be bought at cost to true design consultants like Roy Marlow. At one time top match anglers would put their name to top of range stuff but often seen 'star' names on run of the mill gear in more rcent years.

Recently a big fish chaser jumped ship for a different manufacturer but endorsement only so is that endorsement worth anything?

Certainly with match teams in the past, sponsorship was no guarantee of greatness, though lots of respect for the likes of Essex County, Dorking, Shakespeare and Barnsley. So were Team Oslo actually any good?

I'd love to have input into some match gear but unlikely; my frustration with Drennan continues!

@Clive

Reaction score
The Match Aerial was a true centrepin in that it ran on a bush and spindle. Modern Youngs reels have bearings and are made from different materials. The John Wilson Heritage is now the JW Youngs Heritage and both are little different to other Youngs models. Colour and placement of the check lever is their usual means of distinguishing the models. Otherwise they are the same thing.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Pretty good Mark considering the relatively smaller coarse fishing environment.

Three of the regular club team fished for the Norwegian national team and as a club team we fished a lot of matches in Sweden, France, Denmark and Finland so the sponsors got a fair return advertising wise.

John Aston

Reaction score
I always regard fishing sponsorship as little more than a harmless joke. Nobody outside the sport has heard of any sponsored anglers and the vast majority of anglers outside the match scene neither know or care about sponsorship . We're not talking household names exactly are we ? Most people have heard of Lewis Hamilton but nobody outside our bubble has heard of Martin Bowler. Or the wonderfully named Steve Dorks , a big name in match fishing apparently, whose name in AT made me giggle .

Red Bull or ...err ... Sensas groundbait? Hmmm . $35million a year or some free bait and a logo'd jacket ?

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
Was sponsored by a groundbait company , a couple of tackle shops and a small fishing manufacturer over the years
Used to get tackle at trade price from their warehouse , ASI boxes , conti boxes rods , reels , poles .