Yet another fail.

rayner

Reaction score
For a few months, I have been attempting to make a decent sour bran for breeding.
Up to now. Fails all the way, And can find nothing on the net to make a decent mix.
What ideas do you have?

nottskev

Reaction score
That's a blast from the past, Gary!

FM thread on breeding specials here https://www.fishingmagic.com/forums/threads/maggots-gozzers.15535/

Is it just nostalgia, or is there a particular reason you're trying to breed a 1970's/80's bait in the age of pellets, boilies and the rest?

I seem to recall my efforts involved bran, milk and urine, but if I had a recipe, I don't know what it was.

rayner

Reaction score
There is a shortage of tackle shops in Carlisle Kev, I wanted to go old school with a few milks for my hookers. I'm struggling to get my mix right you know of course that the mix needs to be right to tempt a blow. Yes, all the right ingredients are mentioned in your post. I'm blown if I can remember the quantities I think I perhaps need full-fat milk. What do you think?

nottskev

Reaction score
Gary, I wish I could help, but I really can't remember. I did manage to breed some uninspiring small maggots, but my efforts were a bit random and the main thing I recall is trying not to let my parents know what I was up to in the garage. Something tells me cabbage water was involved at one point. Do you think some plump pinkies might do? Would be easier to come by. I met someone on the bank with squatts in the cs - that took me back a bit.

rayner

Reaction score
That would be an idea Kev, always supposing the tackle shop supplies maggots in any fashion. I still feed my squats brown bread soaked with milk to plump them up. Even trying to locate squats can be a bind.

rayner

Reaction score
Not specials Mike, The only mail order I have used is B/J, if all else fails mail order is an option.

Alan Whitty

Reaction score
I used to get hookers via the gozzer route, using a chicken quarter, wrapping it in newspaper (after getting a blow in a darkish shed), then placing it in a roses tin full of bran... always worked for perhaps a quarter of a pint of various sized hookers, used to use annatto dye at times too, but I personally found white was best for the skimmers and bream I bred them for... sadly I never had any success with sour bran specials, well only in creating a smelly mess, lol....