Carp Angling?

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I have no problem with Carp fishing (I have a little bit of ''proper'' gear myself ;)) its some carp anglers that get my goat! Down on my local Estate lake (Hardwick hall) you can bump in to some really obnoxious sorts, they really think that they own the lakes and look at the ordinary coarse angles like scum and it doesn't matter where you try to cast your line you get the familiar '' hey, you can't cast there mate I have a line out'' really rude in my opinion!

By the way, I am not having a go at every carp angler, before Certain chaps have a dig (yes you know who you are ;))

Last edited:

tiinker

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I started my serious carp fishing in 68 and spent most of my time fishing for carp till 92 but it had changed so much in those 24 years that carp fishing by 92 was something else and I was not getting the buzz from it just going though the motions as it were so I stopped carp fishing and went back and started again and in the last twenty years have only fished specifically for carp on a dozen occaisions and I have enjoyed it but it is not the same thing I suppose it is like climbing a mountain once you have scaled the summit by the different routes it is a done job. I ejoy all my fishing but I will never recapture those early days. I count myself fortunate to have been there at the time.

split shot

Reaction score
I've seen a lot of people start carp fishing over the years, most of them fit the 'all the gear, no idea' mould when they first turn up, some have disappeared after a couple of sessions. Some want all the answers served on a silver platter so they can succeed from the off, some are happy to just be there and soak up the vibe and just want a point in the right direction.
Some stay the course, a few will stay fishermen, a few will become anglers.
Some I first met when they were 'all the gear' fishermen (who if I'm honest weren't a pleasure to fish along side), have become cracking anglers, people I want to fish with. Some are still single species anglers and very good at it, others have diversified.

There are certainly things I hate about modern carp fishing (note I think there is a big difference between fishing and angling in the modern context), but it's saved the sport in my opinion. I do believe if new anglers weren't being attracted big pictures of big carp, fishing would be dying on it's feet.

I too hate getting to a water to find a carp angler fishing the margin I want to fish from the other side of the lake. But equally when I'm carp fishing, enjoying the sunrise and the anticipation of a take, hate it when a modern style tench anger turns up next door and begins to spod in 10kgs of particles.... Same goes this time of year when half a mackerel lands in your swim!

newangler

Reaction score
I've only been angling/fishing/mucking about for less than a year so I guess my opinion is pretty basic but I have a float, feeder and carp rod and use all three pretty regularly. I'm equally happy catching a carp as a bream and it's equally exciting for me watching my float dip under as it is hearing the alarm beep or my rod tip whip round.

Yes there are irritating carpers out there with all the gear and a god given right to fish where they want to but I'm not that fond of the serious match guys either fishing to hand and treating the fish like rubbish.

Generally I've had no problems with other fishermen, we're all there for the same reason and most are friendly and will have a chat, help out, pass the time of day. I try to be the same.

Reaction score
I've got nothing whatsoever against carp anglers but the recent trend for stocking carp bloomin everywhere p*sses me off...

Especially when the waters are on a flood plain.

B

Berty

I've got nothing whatsoever against carp anglers but the recent trend for stocking carp bloomin everywhere p*sses me off...

I love carp fishing, and amongst carp anglers there are some of the best angling brains in our sport......but you are so right ****ie!

B

binka

I share my local club water with many Carp anglers, almost all considerate but as always there's the exception as with any type of angler... I don't think it's the type of angler so much as the type of person that causes a problem on the odd occasion when they arise.

It does feel good though when you land a good double on waggler and worm fished up to some lillies when they're sat behind three motionless bite alarms, it almost makes up for the spankin they usually give me when I try and beat 'em at their own game :)

tiinker

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I share my local club water with many Carp anglers, almost all considerate but as always there's the exception as with any type of angler... I don't think it's the type of angler so much as the type of person that causes a problem on the odd occasion when they arise.

It does feel good though when you land a good double on waggler and worm fished up to some lillies when they're sat behind three motionless bite alarms, it almost makes up for the spankin they usually give me when I try and beat 'em at their own game :)

Thats because they cannot beat you at your game to most of them a waggler is more than likely some kind of dog.

paul80

Reaction score
Its not carp fishing I don't like, its not even carp anglers, I don.t like, its the Yob angler i don't like, the ones that think they own the lake and cast everywhere, the ones that get half cut on cheap beer and shout at the to of the voice to their equally drunk mate you is only a couple of feet away.

Very rarely do I see this with Roach Anglers etc, its nearly always "Carp Anglers" maybe its just the area I fish in.

But Gentleman Anglers they are not.

Paul

noknot

Reaction score
Very rarely do I see this with Roach Anglers etc, its nearly always "Carp Anglers" maybe its just the area I fish in.

But Gentleman Anglers they are not.

Paul
Hi Paul, to me there is a big difference from a Carp Angler, than someone who fishies for Carp.

stu_the_blank

Reaction score
love carp fishing, and amongst carp anglers there are some of the best angling brains in our sport......but you are so right ****ie!
Absolutely Berty. However, I've had to insulate myself from the behaviour of some carp anglers(?) running a Syndicate water for the past 20 years. Behave like some of the descriptions on this thread and you won't be back! There have always been anglers who behave in this way, they were mainly match anglers when I was young, now it seems that the lifestyle choice of modern carp angling has attracted these people.

Don't paint us all with this brush though.

Stu

Simon K

Reaction score
Hi Paul, to me there is a big difference from a Carp Angler, than someone who fishies for Carp.

I'm not a "carp angler", but I fish for them, as many all-round specimen anglers do.

Pigeon-holing to any degree is fraught with difficulty.

I wouldn't class these people amongst any "type" of angler. They are a "type" of person, though.

cg74

Reaction score
I'm not a "carp angler", but I fish for them, as many all-round specimen anglers do.

I wouldn't class these people amongst any "type" of angler. They are a "type" of person, though.

Exactly my thoughts.

---------- Post added at 22:04 ---------- Previous post was at 21:58 ----------

Stocking carp or any other alien species in areas that are at risk of having their stocks displaced into rivers, should not be permitted!

sam vimes

Reaction score

Yep, but I find it quite disconcerting that so many are quite so prejudiced. If people think the way they suggest on forums, it would depend entirely on the day and what style of fishing I was doing at the time as to how they would respond to me. Don't get me wrong, that would apply equally to some of the hardcore carpers out there if I happened to be using my match gear. The fact that so many are so willing to make assumptions about your character, based on nothing more than your set up and style of fishing, is actually quite disturbing.

barbelboi

Reaction score
I would never dream of pre-judging another angler, and would never take their set up or style of fishing as an assumption as to their character. However by watching them for a few minutes you can usually get a pretty good idea of what they're about.
Jerry

noknot

Reaction score
I would never dream of pre-judging another angler, and would never take their set up or style of fishing as an assumption as to their character. However by watching them for a few minutes you can usually get a pretty good idea of what they're about.
Jerry
DITTO! All the gear and no idea springs to mind, you cant tell just by looking today.

benny samways

Reaction score
I would argue this is mainly a result of people not realising how strong the written word can be.

When people have a moan about carpers this or barbellers that, they surely cant be talking about all of them; rather the ones that fit the example they a discussing. Not always but the majority of the time, surely?

1 sentence can make you seem as if you are making wide sweeping generalistions or pigeon holing people when in actual fact your just trying to write a quick response on an angling forum that doesnt permit you to slip precursors in or asteriked foot notes!

Last edited:

sam vimes

Reaction score
deleted, posted on wrong forum

Not sure why you deleted the original post, it seemed reasonable enough to me. However, while there's little doubt in my mind that an awful lot of the self professed haters and makers of sweeping statements don't really mean what say, sadly, there are a proportion that do.

guest61

Reaction score
No not just Carp Angling - People.

Jerry

I agree with this. I'd go further to say that the angler who presents a 'problem' for others on the bank is very likely to present the same 'problems' around with them in every day life.

The point was made earlier about match anglers often being difficult when there were more matches around also struck a chord with me. These guys were often downright obstructive around non-booked stretches of river or canal.

tiinker

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
You should never judge a book by its cover comes to mind. I have seen anglers with old gear wipe the floor of better equipped anglers with there angling knowldge in all of the disciplines of angling. Having the best tackle in the world means very little today