Oppose Open Access for canoes

geoffmaynard

Content Editor
Reaction score
So in theory, if you had a pond at the bottom of your garden there would be nothing stopping anyone with a canoe from having a go in it?

That is ridiculous, surely they would be trespassing as they crossed the private land to the water?

Trespass? Pah. No penalties for it.

---------- Post added at 23:14 ---------- Previous post was at 23:13 ----------

Its not called Open Access for nothing. This is a damn good reason to join the ATr on it's own

P

pointngo

On my bit of the Wye the solo canoeists are the best behaved. It's the hire companies renting out packs of a dozen craft to drunken stag-parties which are the worst. But none can be considered good for a fishery.

tbh canoeists don't generally bother me that much as they don't affect the fish feeding but when they seemingly deliberately skim the trees when they know you are somewhere along a stretch, or just stop right in front of you even when you're the only person fishing, I feel like garrotting them with 100lb braid!

Open access for all is just a silly idea though and will only lead to more problems for our waterways and wildlife.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
It takes less than a minute . . . . . . . and could be worth a lifetime of uninterupted fishing, so go on, you know it makes sense!

SACC - Supporters

The paddlers are concentrating on a geographical area where they think the opposition will be a lot less than in England, (thin end of the wedge syndrome) let's show them that they are totally wrong!

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
It takes less than a minute . . . . . . . and could be worth a lifetime of uninterupted fishing, so go on, you know it makes sense!

SACC - Supporters

This thread will be made "sticky" for a week or two, so come on, get signed up, it takes less than a minute . . . . . .

geoffmaynard

Content Editor
Reaction score
I can't believe we have only got a couple of thousand signatures for this. Would everyone please copy to other forums to try to get better coverage for this crucial issue please.

davethesax

Reaction score
I can't believe we have only got a couple of thousand signatures for this. Would everyone please copy to other forums to try to get better coverage for this crucial issue please.

Surely if the water is on private land anyone using it without the owner’s permission would be at least guilty of some crime.:eek: Near where I live is a boat yard that has a 2 acres lake for the testing of boats and is only accessible though locked gates and a charge is made for its use by others.
So will these canoeist have access to the lake in Buck House as well as places like Liverpool and Portbury Docks, Penguin enclosures at zoos, protected nature reserves, royal navy dockyards and nuclear submarine bases, wildfowl centres such as Slimbridge?:confused I think not, so why our facilities?:confused:
What will happen if one of the canoeist mob gets injured or even drowned? Very likely there will be an attempt to sue the owner or custodians of the water for not providing safety officers or lifesavers every few yards.

I have signed up. Come on the rest of you are you going to just let our rights and passion be destroyed by a bunch of misguided politicians influenced a group of paddlers who are probably are of the otter and cormorant loving anti-fishing brigaded?:mad:

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
We don't live in North Korea, open access for all

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Absolutely correct, we live in a free democracy where the rights of the individual still count.

So, if you want the same access that anglers have then cough up and pay the same as we do.

Unless maybe you dream of living in some communist society where everything is free for all?

steve1

Reaction score
Why pay its free and will always be

tiinker

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Why pay its free and will always be

Nothing is free in this world everything has a price and your enjoyment can be at the cost of some one else's .

tiinker

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I think that’s the whole point of this article. Their enjoyment will be at the cost of ours! :(

I would have thought that was obvious. If the canoeists want water for sport and relaxation then pay for it like everyone else.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
I would have thought that was obvious. If the canoeists want water for sport and relaxation then pay for it like everyone else.

In fact they will have to do more than simpy pay for it inasmuch as they will have to compete with angling Clubs for the same stretches.

Personally I cannot see the Paddlers stumping up the tens of thousands of pounds necessary to oust anglers from a decent Trout river, and shared access is simply pie in the sky!

Who in their right mind would want to shell out £1200 a year to fish on a decent trout river with canoes going past?
So, the Paddlers will have to outbid the Anglers, and in truth I cannot see that happening.

What they need to understand and accept is;

The only thing you get in this world for "nowt" is, in fact . . . . . . . . . nowt!