How much would you pay???

chevin4

Reaction score
I think the first £1000 carp rod is just around the corner. Daiwa have just brought out a new rod namely the Basia AGS priced at a staggering £750-£825 depending on length and test curve. If I was an out and out carp angler and had money to burn I would draw the line at buying 2 or 3 of those which will spend most of the time in the rests. I knew a guy who didnt fish much but had high-end gear he didnt catch much but looking out of his bivvy on his gear made him feel good. Takes all sorts I surpose he was certainly a marketing mans dream

Keith M

Reaction score
Nowadays If anything has a Carp label you can charge the Earth for it and still get the posers queuing up to buy it.

You certainly wouldn’t get me paying £1000+ for a Carp rod and that’s for sure :)

Keith

chevin4

Reaction score
Nowadays If anything has a Carp label you can charge the Earth for it and still get the posers queuing up to buy it.

You certainly wouldn’t get me paying £1000+ for a Carp rod and that’s for sure :)

Keith
Many of these rods are casting machines which the average angler cant utilise them to their full potential thus the bonanza of experts offering casting lessons. I sometimes think it is more about looking the part on the bank than actually catching fish.

Reaction score
You would catch me buying a carp rod,period,3lb+ t.c. rods are not tools for fishing,so have no place in my kit...

sam vimes

Reaction score
I think the first £1000 carp rod is just around the corner. Daiwa have just brought out a new rod namely the Basia AGS priced at a staggering £750-£825 depending on length and test curve. If I was an out and out carp angler and had money to burn I would draw the line at buying 2 or 3 of those which will spend most of the time in the rests. I knew a guy who didnt fish much but had high-end gear he didnt catch much but looking out of his bivvy on his gear made him feel good. Takes all sorts I surpose he was certainly a marketing mans dream
Daiwa have already had the odd carp rod with an RRP around the £750 mark. The reality is that they'll end up selling closer to £500. Despite the Basia AGS barely being available yet, it's not hard to find them offered at prices less than £600.

If I were carping these days, I'd save the money and put it towards a really flash bait boat/GPS/Sonar set up. That would help put far more fish on the bank and I'd still be able to enjoy playing them on a lighter rod/line/lead set up.

theartist

Reaction score

Keith
Carping always seems to get a bad rep but match anglers have already been spend £1000's on poles, also game anglers will pay that for a day's fishing on an exclusive beat. There's money in all forms of angling.

Reaction score
And trout anglers pay considerable amounts for Sage and Hardy fly rods,snobbery,or belief that everything that costs more is better,rightly or wrongly is there,unless you can pick up these rods to give them a waggle I wouldn't buy one,because they have to be right for you,whatever they are for...

chevin4

Reaction score
f
Daiwa have already had the odd carp rod with an RRP around the £750 mark. The reality is that they'll end up selling closer to £500. Despite the Basia AGS barely being available yet, it's not hard to find them offered at prices less than £600.

If I were carping these days, I'd save the money and put it towards a really flash bait boat/GPS/Sonar set up. That would help put far more fish on the bank and I'd still be able to enjoy playing them on a lighter rod/line/lead set up.
It makes me laugh when guys use bait boats on a 5acre lake no wonder some fisheries have banned their use. For me they have their place but personally I feel it removes a fundamental skill from angling namely the agility to cast accurately.

sam vimes

Reaction score
It makes me laugh when guys use bait boats on a 5acre lake no wonder some fisheries have banned their use. For me they have their place but personally I feel it removes a fundamental skill from angling namely the agility to cast accurately.

I don't particularly disagree. However, used well, and used responsibly, they are a devastating tool that simply can't be matched. Even the highest standards of spod, marker and casting accuracy can't compete. The fact that I was even thinking about getting a bait boat was a major contributing factor in my giving up on carping. The fact that the very best bait boat set ups were going to cost several thousand pounds really nailed the coffin shut.

Reaction score
My biggest issue with bait boats is that they allow the angler to place a bait under trees where it isn't possible to cast to,not giving the fish a safe place to back off to...

chevin4

Reaction score
My biggest issue with bait boats is that they allow the angler to place a bait under trees where it isn't possible to cast to,not giving the fish a safe place to back off to...
Yep and by the time the angler has got of from is bedchair the carp is tethered.

Reaction score
Don't start me off,if you have your leads set to drop off the lead pollution levels must be enormous on a runs water...

sam vimes

Reaction score
The fact that some fools use a bait boat irresponsibly should not be a black mark against bait boats. It's patently ridiculous to blame the inanimate object. Blame the idiot in control of it if it's misused. Despite what some might think, not everyone that owns a bait boat is an idiot.

Keith M

Reaction score
I personally think the use of a bait boat is fine in certain circumstances; it certainly stops anglers from getting tangled up when they are trying to cast accurately to small far bank hotspots or distant weed or lilly beds where accuracy is required.

However; besides them costing way over the top; people use them in places which will annoy other anglers and disturb and spoil their fishing, and some anglers use them as a toy and chase wildfowl (these things are regularly done unfortunately).

I don’t have a bait boat myself; but I’ve no objections to someone using one responsibly and for a valid reason.

Keith

Last edited:

sam vimes

Reaction score
However; besides them costing way over the top; people use them in places which will annoy other anglers and disturb and spoil their fishing, and some anglers use them as a toy and chase wildfowl (these things are regularly done unfortunately).

Sadly, it seems that some people are annoyed by the very existence of bait boats (and carpers for that matter). I can tell you one thing, I'd much rather have a carper using a bait boat in the near vicinity than one using a marker rod, then spodding bait out. Bait boats are far, far less annoying, unless you fall into the category I mentioned previously.

John Aston

Reaction score
And trout anglers pay considerable amounts for Sage and Hardy fly rods,snobbery,or belief that everything that costs more is better,rightly or wrongly is there,unless you can pick up these rods to give them a waggle I wouldn't buy one,because they have to be right for you,whatever they are for...
This trout angler doesn't conform to the lazy stereotype - sorry to disappoint. I buy gear that is fit for purpose , that is the sole criterion. I meet very few other anglers on my rivers and not only would I feel it tragic if I bought a rod to impress others , I hardly meet a soul anyway...

Some of my gear it is very expensive (eg Simms ) , some of it very cheap . Today I used my Hardy Favourite #4 weight which has probably accounted for a couple of thousand trout in the twenty five years I've owned it . It cost the equivalent of 300 quid - for a 7-6 rod. I also used a Hardy Sovereign reel I bought in 1983 for the equivalent of £250 . Unlike the cheaper reels I've owned (from Intrepid, Orvis , Ryobi and Shakespeare) it refuses to wear out . But my flylines are cheap as chips... .

I have yet to meet a trout angler who lords it over others just because they've bought a Sage and I suspect such characters are apocryphal- after forty five years fly fishing from Wester Ross to Hampshire surely I'd have met just one by now ?

no-one in particular

Reaction score
I think fly anglers would be prepared to pay more for rods because they are crucial to better fishing, the rod has a lot of work to do and I guess the more expensive ones are more likely to give the performance required. Personally I only have cheap fly rods as I only dabble in it now and then and I am just looking for something that does a reasonable job. I am unable to make comparisons but if I was to take up fly fishing as a full time pursuit I think I would pay more attention to a better rod than I do with a coarse or sea rod and pay more for it. If it comes to impressing others, I am not that competitive and my floats cover that angle:)

Reaction score
This trout angler doesn't conform to the lazy stereotype - sorry to disappoint. I buy gear that is fit for purpose , that is the sole criterion. I meet very few other anglers on my rivers and not only would I feel it tragic if I bought a rod to impress others , I hardly meet a soul anyway...

Some of my gear it is very expensive (eg Simms ) , some of it very cheap . Today I used my Hardy Favourite #4 weight which has probably accounted for a couple of thousand trout in the twenty five years I've owned it . It cost the equivalent of 300 quid - for a 7-6 rod. I also used a Hardy Sovereign reel I bought in 1983 for the equivalent of £250 . Unlike the cheaper reels I've owned (from Intrepid, Orvis , Ryobi and Shakespeare) it refuses to wear out . But my flylines are cheap as chips... .

I have yet to meet a trout angler who lords it over others just because they've bought a Sage and I suspect such characters are apocryphal- after forty five years fly fishing from Wester Ross to Hampshire surely I'd have met just one by now ?

Sorry,I should have phrased that differently,I have trout gear,but not top end,the people that will pay £600 each for a carp rod or three are tackle tarts,the rods cannot be so much better than many others at less than £300,probably £150,I have met people who told me that they should be able to cast as well as I 'did' because they had a Sage rod and a Hardy reel and Cortland line,you need to learn how to cast first,a carp angler buying a rod for long range casting is fine,if they have the technique,or venues to use them...

no-one in particular

Reaction score
When you think I am sure most of us started with very cheap rods plus everything else and we learned to fish with it well. In fact it is probably an advantage in some ways, we learn to make up for any disadvantage in the gear by fishing it better with technique. I can remember getting the most out of poor gear by lots of practice and innovating how I used it. Its a good grounding and I don't think I improved a lot once I moved onto better gear; it is just nice to own it sometimes, that can give the feeling of your fishing better but unless it is for match fishing or something I don't think I would pay more than a £100 for a rod. It is usually a lot less, there must be thousands of rods out there for less than a £100 that will do a perfectly good job of any sort of fishing. However, I am not knocking anyone that pays £500 for a rod, if they want it and it is their money then why not. If someone showed me a rod of that expense on the bank I would be interested to see what it was that made it that expensive but past that I wouldn't care much. I would still be far more interested in what he caught and how he caught it and bait etc. etc., the rod he was using wouldn't interest me much, in fact in such encounters I never look or ask what rod and reel they are using; I cant think I have ever thought of doing so.

Reaction score
To be honest if carping was a single rod persuit it could possibly be understandable,when most have three to fish and a spare,wow,a lot of dosh....