How did you get on?

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
Hi Mark didnt fish the first lake but my brother in law fished with bread and caught 5lb plus fish for fun. We only fished after dinner but I caught small tench from 2 and decent carp from 3 fishing next to lily pads. Spoke to an angler the morning we left who had 3 carp to 14lb from 5.
I think 5 is specimen lake .
I fished the the first one a couple of times because I didn't fish it last year,
Had a few out on the pellet waggler and majority from the margins and at 6 metres in front. I fished the first peg in front of car park.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
The dynamic duo, well Gordon and I went fishing to the pool Gordon had a great day on last Friday.

View attachment 15981

There are very few pegs, maybe 2 , which are not a float casting nightmare and I got the best one. We both struggled for anything of any size . We caught consistently on maggot but all small roach and perch. There was little sign of any fish activity and I left Gordon still pursuing a bend in the rod. On reflection a 15' rod and pin with just a flick out of the float might have been a good idea on the other pegs. It rained a little and, being in shade, felt just a bit chilly. We enjoyed the fresh air, a good chat on adjacent pegs and catching even though nothing requiring a net. Thanks Gordon and I hope you pulled it off after I left. I have family to stay from tonight for a couple of weeks so no fishing for a while. I hope the fish will be waiting eagerly??
Those pegs opposite look ideal for a pole approach alongside the branches , or an underarm cast with say a 10' rod

dangermouse

Reaction score
The dynamic duo, well Gordon and I went fishing to the pool Gordon had a great day on last Friday.

View attachment 15981

There are very few pegs, maybe 2 , which are not a float casting nightmare and I got the best one. We both struggled for anything of any size . We caught consistently on maggot but all small roach and perch. There was little sign of any fish activity and I left Gordon still pursuing a bend in the rod. On reflection a 15' rod and pin with just a flick out of the float might have been a good idea on the other pegs. It rained a little and, being in shade, felt just a bit chilly. We enjoyed the fresh air, a good chat on adjacent pegs and catching even though nothing requiring a net. Thanks Gordon and I hope you pulled it off after I left. I have family to stay from tonight for a couple of weeks so no fishing for a while. I hope the fish will be waiting eagerly??

That's a pretty looking lake/pond. I much prefer small intimate venues.

dangermouse

Reaction score
Another morning on the town pit with gb method feeder and Size 16 QM1 hook with treble maggot. Casting out about 75 yards.
Had first pull round after an hour, a tench which fell off close in. This was followed by another one shortly after ….

View attachment 15982

Next tug on the tip and a 7:8:0 slab which put up a proper fight …

View attachment 15983
View attachment 15983

Very quiet and peaceful today for a public Nature reserve cum park.

View attachment 15989

Nice looking tench and quite the slab there Simon. Never had a bream anywhere near that size.

flightliner

Reaction score
Fished the tidal atrent today. Arrived just as tide was easing up on its journey seawards.
Fished the feeder for two hours for one roach of 6oz or so.
Decided to fish the float and found 15'—0" under my rod end and just ending my first trot the floats under with a fiesty 12oz redfin.
Two more runs thro for two more nice roach then sport stops and from then onwards its hard, maybe a dozen roach in the net two hours so i decide to go back to the feeder rod.
Inside a half hour I have three tiny barbel, the smallest I've had, ever!
I must have found a nursery, I mean, three barbel and not one double must be a record for the Trent!
That said they're still nice to see.
IMG_20210708_162110.jpg

flightliner

Reaction score
Fished the tidal atrent today. Arrived just as tide was easing up on its journey seawards.
Fished the feeder for two hours for one roach of 6oz or so.
Decided to fish the float and found 15'—0" under my rod end and just ending my first trot the floats under with a fiesty 12oz redfin.
Two more runs thro for two more nice roach then sport stops and from then onwards its hard, maybe a dozen roach in the net two hours so i decide to go back to the feeder rod.
Inside a half hour I have three tiny barbel, the smallest I've had, ever!
I must have found a nursery, I mean, three barbel and not one double must be a record for the Trent!
That said they're still nice to see.
View attachment 15997
Just to continue, I had just packed away when these two "wild swimmers" came drifting by!
IMG_20210708_180517.jpg

The Sogster

Reaction score
I had a day on an old haunt thanks to Steve W and Flightliner who put me straight on the current club rights for the local river Idle.

Went with my mate to Newington thankfully the wind was in the right direction to negate the stink from the mushroom farm.
It's been around 16 years since I last fished this venue and have fond memories.

20210708_195254.jpg

The river was a little higher than usual summer levels, but at least they were not pumping it off at the Trent end meaning a nice steady flow.
Although I'd forgotten about the massive weed rafts which often come down like some resurgent Atlantis.
There was also a horrendous amount of blanket weed which I don't recall from before. Must be a byproduct of agricultural run off. ?

Baits for today were maggots, bread and corn with liquidised bread and micro pellets as feed. I would have liked some of Lakhayman's ant eggs to try.
Started out on the feeder but the amount of weed coming down made life difficult with it constantly hanging up and pulling the feeder out of position.

I then set up my 14' ultralight and decided to fish a straight 5bb peacock waggler set at around 14" to target the fish in the upper layers this resulted in a few 1oz to 3oz roach and dace with frequent changes of depth. But the bites remained infrequent and the weed a constant problem hindering presentation and bite registration with the weed on the line behind the float acting like an enormous back stop.

Continued with the waggler biteless and a bit dismayed while I considered my options, thought about stret pegging the near bank. When I had a sudden very positive bite on the waggler. Hoorah, feels like a good fish, damn it's a bloody eel about 1.25lb.
This killed the swim for the next hour or so, couldn't buy a bite no matter what I tried.

Had a cup of tea and a smoke, while thinking what to do and noticed a clear spot in the weed a couple of rod lengths down the margin.
Not happy with the day so far I thought sod it nowt to lose so I picked up the feeder rod again clipped on a large cage feeder and deposited about a pint liquidised bread and pellets with plenty of corn in the clear patch.
I gave this 10 minutes before putting in a maggot and corn cocktail with more liqqy in the feeder.
Ten minutes later, bang the tip went round and a few moments later this beauty was in the net.
20210708_191739-1.jpg

Fished for a couple more hours without reward.
Quite enjoyed the day in the end, will probably go again to make some new memories.

The Sogster

Reaction score
Lakhyaman, I actually looked for ant eggs after reading your post.
I remember a fish food of dried ant eggs but sadly it is no longer available.

I am surprised that I've never tried ragi paste in the UK don't know why, it works in India.

I have eaten mixed insects and spiders in Thailand but these are a little expensive for me.
I'd rather have a good fried dhal.

Last edited:

wetthrough

Reaction score
A most enjoyable day thanks Mike. Pity the lumps weren't playing ball. I'd been invited to an early doors beer tasting so packed up about 3:30. I did get attached to a lump but suspect it was foul hooked. As predicted it made a bee line for those posts to my left but shed the hook before it got there.

I hate trees! Lost two hooklengths on what I suspect was a fallen branch and two in the tree. Casting accurately was really difficult having to side cast under the tree canopy.

seth49

Reaction score
late start again yesterday, had the glass units replaced in two double glazed windows in the lounge, and I had to move the tv etc till they had finished.
Anyway back to our club water again, usual methods of margin rod and pole, tried paste on the pole today, and usual wafter and micro pellets on feeder, cupped some ground bait in and although plenty of tench bubbling they weren’t easy to catch, did get three on paste, plus skimmers and small roach.

The margin rod worked better today, three runs and three small carp landed, did hook a bigger carp in the margin later but it came of after a few minutes, think I’ve found out why a hook length broke easily on a carp as well, when I re baited my feeder the small perch had knocked the bait about and tied a knot in it, causing a weak spot.

Another hot day when the sun came out, fished from twelve till eight pm, a pleasant day out, back on Tuesday all being well.
5AFF7819-8794-482C-9CA2-9FCB3E9001B9.jpeg
7A272752-75DD-4BEF-A560-11816855E3DE.jpeg
BF71BCA0-4B51-47D4-8102-E94470E6712C.jpeg
51175204-7029-4527-A660-4D7ABDB5B55A.jpeg
371E8C7F-4226-4889-9338-63406C684A70.jpeg

lakhyaman

Reaction score
Lakhyaman, I actually looked for ant eggs after reading your post.
I remember a fish food of dried ant eggs but sadly it is no longer available.

I am surprised that I've never tried ragi paste in the UK don't know why, it works in India.

I have eaten mixed insects and spiders in Thailand but these are a little expensive for me.
I'd rather have a good fried dhal.
Sogster,

you might find these cans at an oriental/Thai/Korean grocery at a cheaper price in the UK.

Ragi paste or a paste made of besan (chickpea flower) mixed with garam masala and wetted with water or any other suitable liquid could be worth a try.

All the best

Lakhyaman

Last edited:

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
A short session spinning for bass at Westgate On Sea. Tried something new I've picked up from Youtube, using a teaser fly a couple of feet in front of the main lure, mimicking a fish chasing a bait fish, well that's the theory!

87CF7A74-CB4C-4BC0-A088-80739E6B90A9.jpeg

Had a schoolie within ten minutes of casting so I guess it works. There was a rumbling in the distance and the skies looked threatening, decided to cut and run, don't want to be out with lightening strikes imminent with a length of carbon in my hand! ?

C3969148-C4F3-4EAF-B7DC-50A747A1FAE7.jpeg

Pete Shears

Reaction score
On the banks of the Wreake just after 5am this morning with the river running quite fast for July,result of the recent sudden downpours.
Very mild with plenty of small fish dimpling the surface of the big pool.Found out that most of these were minnows ,pulling the bait instantly giving good indication on the quiver but impossible to hit. Eventually had three 8" chublets, all in pristine condition, not much wildlife of note either just a kestrel searching for breakfast.

dangermouse

Reaction score
Decided to go for an early morning session on Thurnscoe res. I'd only tried evening sessions before. Was on the bankside for just after 5:30am. Decided to fish the same peg as my previous sessions. Tackled up and was encouraged when my first cast resulted in a bite, albeit a missed one.

After a few more casts I noticed the float was lower in the water than before and decided to reel in. A moment of resistence and I wondered if I'd snagged some weed or something. My suspicions were almost correct. Clinging to my hook was a crayfish. A couple of stabs and a minute or two later my float was back in the water and the invader was crowbait.

A quiet period was followed by a nervous take that resulted in a silver bream being landed. Then nothing for quite a while.

I decided to make a couple of minor changes and trimmed about 2 inches off the depth and cast in a little closer almost directly in front of me. It proved a good decision as within a few minutes the float slid beneath the water. A solid strike and I was into the fish which took off across the lake at speed. My immediate thought was a tench but after 3 or 4 minutes of it raging about I was beginning to doubt that. After a couple more minutes of trying to bring it in closer and desperately steering it away from the reed beds on my right I knew if it was a tench it was a big one. More likely though it was a carp. Eventually I brought it high enough in the water to see a flash of it's black and gold back. My first carp from this water!

The fight wasn't over though and it again stripped line from the reel. Eventually though I brought it back in and managed to bring it's head above water and drag it into the net.

A very pretty common carp.

0carp-11-07.jpg

Not sure of the weight. I'd guess maybe 6 or 7lbs.

After returning it I went back to my rod and noticed the line had somehow become very twisted and coiled. The end result being that I had to re-tackle up after cutting about 6m off.

Finally back in the water I managed another small bream and then nothing else. Around 8:30 a bloke came over, asked how I was doing and then told me I needed to be off the lake by 9am because there was a match. Unless that was I wanted to fish the match.

Can't say I was too happy but as the action was none existent I eventually packed up. Just seems a bit silly on a venue that has 20 odd pegs and only 8-10 anglers fishing the match.

Ended up chatting with a few of the match lads before departing.

The least successful session I've had in terms of numbers but the hard fighting carp made the morning worthwhile.

Philip

Reaction score
I had planned an evening Zander session on the river. Knowing I would be strapped for time I had gone to the trouble to catch a few livebaits earlier in the day which I hid in a bucket in the margins…well hidden too !

On arriving at dusk I went down to get my bucket and found it was empty and left up on the bank. It appeared an undergrowth scouring good Samaritan had decided to tip them back for me ..super !

Without any bait I was in half a mind to just turn round & go home but I thought as I was there I may as well wet a line

I had some others baits & bits and prices in the car so cobbled together a rod to try for a Roach even if I was basically clutching at straws & fishing unprepared. I went to a spot that had produced some fish in the past were a flood drain flowed into the river and flicked out a bait without too much optimism. I tried to gee myself up by noting that conditions were very good..mild and overcast with good color to the water. 3rd cast I had a pull and landed a good Roach. I went onto land 2 more all a good size. It proved that if you have a bait in the water you always have a chance.

Not the prettiest but the best of a salvaged evening at 1lb 11oz...
Roach LF.jpg

john step

Reaction score
I have not posted any results lately. There is only a limit to how many blanks on a hard water one can post.:eek:
I treated myself to a feeder session on a much easier club water today for 8 carp ( 3low doubles). My new umbrella works! It persisted down all day.
I am now ready to try again for a whacker later this week.