How did you get on?

seth49

Reaction score
B666147A-260B-4A4D-9F83-4E50FC511AFC.jpeg

Not one bite today, very quiet alround, nothing much caught at all.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Went for a short spell yesterday to a stretch of river that has some chub in it in the winter, they seem to shoal up along there. I lost one and had this one, on hovis best of both, its a nice soft bread and I like the added wheatgerm. Nice day, no wind and not cold, a kingfisher passed me by a couple of times.
P1000371.JPG

Reaction score
They do Mick,but not for me,there are canals that can be fished with 2bb floats that would be far more enjoyable,add to 8ozs of lead being amongst numpties in bivvies with rods spread down the bank,I rest my case...(I do know that much of the river isnt like this lol).

john step

Reaction score
Went for a short spell yesterday to a stretch of river that has some chub in it in the winter, they seem to shoal up along there. I lost one and had this one, on hovis best of both, its a nice soft bread and I like the added wheatgerm. Nice day, no wind and not cold, a kingfisher passed me by a couple of times.
View attachment 18094
Nice float Mark. Puts Aknib and Purple Peanut to shame.

chevin4

Reaction score
I returned to my local small stream last week after fishing a rock hard part of the River Lea the week before. I alternated between fishing pellets for barbel and trotting maggots for roach and dace. Since there was little flow I switched to a small maggot feeder early afternoon. It was a beautiful autumn day but the conditions wernt the best being sunny and the river being too low. I finished up with 4 barbel the best being 9lb 6oz which is the biggest so far on my new 1.75tc Torrix. I finished up with a real mixed bag apart from the barbel I caught minnows gudgeon dace chub perch and roach. I enjoyed the day and after the previous week looking at static rod tips it was nice to get some action.

James Fletcher

Reaction score
Hi all
I am looking for a good trotting rod for the upper Bristol Avon and I am thinking about the Drennan acolyte.
But I’m not sure which one to go for either the ultra or plus.
I shall mainly be fishing avon and stick floats and I will mostly be catching silvers and chub, but also the the occasional trout. And would like to use it for Grayling on the test.
Would really appreciate any advice on which acolytes to go for?
Cheers

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
Hi all
I am looking for a good trotting rod for the upper Bristol Avon and I am thinking about the Drennan acolyte.
I shall mainly be fishing avon and stick floats and I will mostly be catching silvers and chub, but also the the occasional trout. And would like to use it for Grayling on the test.
Cheers

I have the plus and it’s a little more versatile than the standard model and it can handle bonus fish better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chevin4

Reaction score
Yes another vote for the plus I have the 15ft version. I had an ultra but found it too light although having said that it would be great for silvers in a match situation.

chevin4

Reaction score
I believe Mark Everard designed a trotting rod with big Avon roach in mind. I think it is a similar price to an Acolyte and is named the Redfin. I don't know anyone who has used on though

silvers

Reaction score
Well, I travelled to the River Wye at Belmont, Hereford for the midweek river masters qualifier today. 54 fishing so a good turnout, it was pegged from the pump house down to the end of the tennis courts section.

For those not aware ... the Wye in Hereford is absolutely stuffed with fish at present ... last week’s festival had average weighs of around 40 pounds per angler each day ... not bad for 60 anglers.

sadly, I didn’t catch too many of them today! A handful of roach, dace and perch on a 7m whip ... and then I had to resort to a bolo down the middle (about 10ft deep) to catch anything much. I caught some decent dace, but missed far too many bites and ended up with just 22 pounds. My section of six pegs was won by Chris Jones with 38 pounds of dace and perch ... and the qualifying 12 peg section was won by Martin Challenger with 47 pounds of dace. The match overall was won with 88 pounds of fish.

22 pounds of dace and I struggled ... it really is crazy good at the moment!

Must try harder ...

Reaction score
I wonder how long the river there can take the constant pounding of matches Alex,with the weights of fish in keepnets,ive watched videos of these matches and cant imagine quite a few losses every match,pouring fish into weigh nets,waiting for first weighs laying nets on the path/grass etc,it isnt good for angling as a whole,funnily enough,it would be better if matches were won with say 25lbs,but the greed of what I class as the commie type match angler wants massive weights,not slating anyone,just the ideal as a whole....the thing is Hereford gets a big influx of fish every autumn/winter which must boost numbers incredibly,an amazing venue,especially when you think that you only need a coloured river and its bleak city,with collosal weights of those fragile fish,amazing...

Last edited:

nottskev

Reaction score
I wonder how long the river there can take the constant pounding of matches Alex,with the weights of fish in keepnets,ive watched videos of these matches and cant imagine quite a few losses every match,pouring fish into weigh nets,waiting for first weighs laying nets on the path/grass etc,it isnt good for angling as a whole,funnily enough,it would be better if matches were won with say 25lbs,but the greed of what I class as the commie type match angler wants massive weights,not slating anyone,just the ideal as a whole....the thing is Hereford gets a big influx of fish every autumn/winter which must boost numbers incredibly,an amazing venue,especially when you think that you only need a coloured river and its bleak city,with collosal weights of those fragile fish,amazing...

When I lived in Chester in the 90's we'd make the long drive down to the Belmont stretch for the great winter roach fishing, so it's not that I don't get the appeal of it. And I use a keepnet myself. But I've been a bit dismayed to see the recent youtube videos of anglers tooled up, feeding £50 0f bait ,and swinging large roach to hand, any one of which would be a stand-out fish in catches on many rivers. The scenes at the weigh in were, as you say Alan, a bit grim and roach, dace and chub are not tough as old boots like carp. I don't want to moralise, but the fishing-on-steroids feel put me off a bit. And no disrespect to you, Silvers, I like to read your reports and I know the winter scene in Hereford is a kind of freak of nature.

Reaction score
I get the appeal,and I loved my match fishing,add to the bonus that match anglers only fish 5hrs,so unlike pleasure anglers who could have these fish in nets for 12hrs,Alex will have seen the weigh ins,I remember weigh ins on the Severn in its hay day,barbel bashing around in nets,laying on the sandy banks,no wonder a steady drop in numbers occured from those days,I watch weigh ins on commercial carp fisheries where fish are poured into rubberised animal feed buckets,bloody disgusting,we will never stop fish being damaged as we are putting hooks in fish and taking them out of their environment,but what I would call obvious problematic issues need thinking about at best,for the betterment of all....

mikench

Reaction score
I don't use a keep net and only have once or twice. I'm afraid the match scene leaves me cold and utterly disinterested. The scenes of yesteryear with all fish being killed would have put me off then and those views don't persuade me to have a go now . Personally I don't see why the winner is not the one with the most fish caught as opposed to the weight of fish. A simple clicker is all that's needed. The way things are going I suspect the days of match fishing on a large organised basis are numbered.

bracket

Reaction score
Hi all
Cheers
I have a 14ft ultra and a 15ft plus. Done a lot of grayling and sea trout on both with no problems. If you are buying the one rod I can recommend the 15ft plus. Pete