Hook length boxes

Regalis

Out of reach...
Reaction score
Do the pins move in these hook link boxes? If not, how do I tie the hook lengths the exact same length each time? They don't look as East to use as the carp rig holders!

Matrix_HLR_Rig_Cases_1-1.jpg

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
Pins are fixed, The top one looks as if for 4" and 6" hooklengths .
The bottom looks as if 4" to 12" and a few in-between.
There are various ways to tie to size, The way I have done it ,is .
Have a couple of panel pins in strip of wood, at the length you want.tie preferred hook on, and put that over one panel pin, take the line around the next panel pin at set length, pinch the line together ,remove from pin and tie the loop. It's trial and error at first,

RMNDIL

Reaction score
Tie them to suit the box. Tie the hook first and then use the box (whichever pins you want for the length of hooklength) and tie off to that.

Reaction score
I will continue to tie on the bank to my personal requirements,certainly not to any pins in a box,lol,for waggler fishing my hooklengths can be anything from 10" to 22",for stick float from 8" to occasionally 18",the only rigs that stay roughly the same are pole hooklengths from 6" to 8"....

Keith M

Reaction score
I will continue to tie on the bank to my personal requirements,certainly not to any pins in a box,lol,for waggler fishing my hooklengths can be anything from 10" to 22",for stick float from 8" to occasionally 18",the only rigs that stay roughly the same are pole hooklengths from 6" to 8"....
I also occasionally tie my hooklengths on the bank when I’m using a waggler or Stick/Avon type float; although I also use ready tied hooks a lot of the time if they are long enough.

NB: usually but not always tied to spade end hooks :giggle:

Keith

Last edited:

peytr

Reaction score
Have a couple of panel pins in strip of wood, at the length you want.tie preferred hook on, and put that over one panel pin, take the line around the next panel pin at set length, pinch the line together ,remove from pin and tie the loop.
I use halved paperclips in stead of pins. The round tops work like a charm. I even ditched the hooklength boxes and made small boards with again the halved paperclips at the intervals I use (15 and 25 cm). I found some coppered ones which seem to hold up well. Not having the hooklengths in a box but on a board might seem a strange idea but I'm convinced rust is much less likely to occur.

RMNDIL

Reaction score
I use halved paperclips in stead of pins. The round tops work like a charm. I even ditched the hooklength boxes and made small boards with again the halved paperclips at the intervals I use (15 and 25 cm). I found some coppered ones which seem to hold up well. Not having the hooklengths in a box but on a board might seem a strange idea but I'm convinced rust is much less likely to occur.
It takes a lot to cause rust on a properly made coarse hook which is tied & stored in a box - then used once. Very sweaty fingers & high humidity.

Golden Eagle

Reaction score
What’s the best environment to tie hooks in?

A nice warm well lit, indoor environment.

Or

The bank of your fishing venue?

Not rocket science is it?

Reaction score
Really...well I can tie a hooklength better in daylight,on the bank than sitting in artificial light,I dry my hands before tying,jobs a goodun,having 60 hooks tied up just in case is a load of horse shit imo,but believe what you will,I reckon I can tie a hooklength as quickly on the frosty bank as in the warm,but you might be quicker than me,I doubt it though....

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
I have used the Preston boxes for many years now and never had any problems. They make them in different sizes and they pack flat and take little space in my seat box. They also float so can be retrieved with a landing net if they accidentally fall into the water.

As for hook tying I use an old Sensas Pierotti (spelling?) hook tyer that makes perfect;y equal lengths every tme and it is adjustable fr different lengths.

I prefer to tie all my hook lengths at home under a magnifying light . A left over foible from my match fishing days when I used to even make sure that all the slots in my shot lined up perfectly . . .

Last edited:

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
I had 3 Preston boxes when they first came out, I got them when I bought my Absolute seatbox. I found that the Preston ready tied hooklengths were too long to go over the pegs, I could put the loop and hook over the pegs but the hooklengths fell out.

I now use guru hooklength boxes and hooklengths and have no problems, I also have a ringers hookllength box and no problems with that .

The shop I use in Kidlington , the owner Tony uses the original MAP ones with adjustable pins, Reckons they are the best on the market.

Golden Eagle

Reaction score
Really...well I can tie a hooklength better in daylight,on the bank than sitting in artificial light,I dry my hands before tying,jobs a goodun,having 60 hooks tied up just in case is a load of horse shit imo,but believe what you will,I reckon I can tie a hooklength as quickly on the frosty bank as in the warm,but you might be quicker than me,I doubt it though....
Well done, you appear to have accomplished a skill that is not necessary.

rayner

Reaction score
I always used to tie my hooks on a snell knot on the bank in my early years, I have to now use a matchmen at home, not the knot I prefer. The matchmen knots are plenty good enough.
What I remember, I used to be far too finicky with my hooks, not so much now. I do check every knot after it is tied giving it a good tug before it is wrapped.

bracket

Reaction score
M
Have a couple of panel pins in strip of wood, at the length you want.tie preferred hook on, and put that over one panel pin, take the line around the next panel pin at set length, pinch the line together ,remove from pin and tie the loop. It's trial and error at first,
To supplement what markcw has said, I am at the moment tying some hooks using his proscribed method. I use PI mag store box for my hooks. Initially I tie a hook then to get the dead length required, anchor the hook on one point of the magnetic hook keep stick then take the line around to the loop anchor. Take the line around that anchor, to form the loop, pinch both loop lines together lift off the stick and tie the loop with a figure of 8 knot. This will result in a hook length very slightly shorter than the length of the retaining anchors. This is OK as it means you can store the hook length under a bit of tension which will keep it secure. To avoid having to repeat this every time use a length of wood as a jig. Knock a panel pin in at one end of the wood. Take the pre tied hook length and fit the hook around the panel pin. I leave the head of the panel pin on to stop the hook sliding off. Put the second panel pin through the loop in the hook length and extend it along the wood until you have the full length than knock in the second panel pin. I remove the head of the second panel pin to allow the nipped loop to be easily lifted off for tying the figure of 8 knot. Here is a photo of my set up:
20211206_142621.jpg
As I have said I use IP mag store, but you can use this method with any system you use once, as markcw says, you have done the fiddly bit and got the correct hook length. Hope this helps. Pete.

Regalis

Out of reach...
Reaction score
To supplement what markcw has said, I am at the moment tying some hooks using his proscribed method. I use PI mag store box for my hooks. Initially I tie a hook then to get the dead length required, anchor the hook on one point of the magnetic hook keep stick then take the line around to the loop anchor. Take the line around that anchor, to form the loop, pinch both loop lines together lift off the stick and tie the loop with a figure of 8 knot. This will result in a hook length very slightly shorter than the length of the retaining anchors. This is OK as it means you can store the hook length under a bit of tension which will keep it secure. To avoid having to repeat this every time use a length of wood as a jig. Knock a panel pin in at one end of the wood. Take the pre tied hook length and fit the hook around the panel pin. I leave the head of the panel pin on to stop the hook sliding off. Put the second panel pin through the loop in the hook length and extend it along the wood until you have the full length than knock in the second panel pin. I remove the head of the second panel pin to allow the nipped loop to be easily lifted off for tying the figure of 8 knot. Here is a photo of my set up:View attachment 18439As I have said I use IP mag store, but you can use this method with any system you use once, as markcw says, you have done the fiddly bit and got the correct hook length. Hope this helps. Pete.
Looks like something I could do when the weather isn't behaving. I wonder if one could be made with one removable pin and multiple holes so that different length hooklengths could be made?

Maybe that would have too much play and cause the lengths to vary too much? ?