Hook length boxes

Burton Bridge

Reaction score
I tie my loops by hand but use a loop sizer to make them consistent in size. For very short hooklength loops,3 or 2 inches, i use a gated needle. John Arthur has a very good video on this on YouTube.
Me too with a stonfo loop thing, which is a but of green plastic with two prongs on it to regulate where the knot tightens.

The loop to my dacron is tied by hand anyhow, if the fish can see that I think they'd be more concerned about the 16m of carbon attached to it ?

nottskev

Reaction score
Thats a idea, mind you isn't the idea to get the hooks exactly the same so you know your rig is the same on a change/crack off?

I see your point. But if you mark your depth against your pole or rod, you can always go back to that. It's odds on your different length hooklengths weren't that much different.

Burton Bridge

Reaction score
I see your point. But if you mark your depth against your pole or rod, you can always go back to that. It's odds on your different length hooklengths weren't that much different.
Well the bottom shot goes on my loops so, the position of the bottom dropper is important, if I'm bagging and get broke, I can slip a hooklenth on and be fishing exactly the same in minutes.

Important in a match, not in a pleasure session.

Golden Eagle

Reaction score
Well the bottom shot goes on my loops so, the position of the bottom dropper is important, if I'm bagging and get broke, I can slip a hooklenth on and be fishing exactly the same in minutes.

Exact same for me.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
Thats a idea, mind you isn't the idea to get the hooks exactly the same so you know your rig is the same on a change/crack off?
That's the idea for Hooklengths but a couple of mil isn't going to make a difference, How many lake,canal,river bottoms do you know that are like a billiard table. Some are like an underwater ploughed field.
Do you mean keep the hook exactly the same,?

Burton Bridge

Reaction score
That's the idea for Hooklengths but a couple of mil isn't going to make a difference, How many lake,canal,river bottoms do you know that are like a billiard table. Some are like an underwater ploughed field.
Do you mean keep the hook exactly the same,?
No I meant length.

The thing about fishing is all our theories are based on incomplete information formed from evidence which differs from person to person, its all anecdotal. It's the nature of our sport and you simply cannot get away from it, so from here on in there really is no definitive right or wrong answer. However, for me I think you are wrong in the situation I described I'm fishing accurately over the same place in a commercial, providing I'm not fishing over slit its going to be the same depth everytime.

How many times in the past have you found that sweet spot, got in a rhythm and a tangle/crack off etc occurred and you just couldn't get it back? That in Mt head is the 5mm mate

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
No I meant length.

The thing about fishing is all our theories are based on incomplete information formed from evidence which differs from person to person, its all anecdotal. It's the nature of our sport and you simply cannot get away from it, so from here on in there really is no definitive right or wrong answer. However, for me I think you are wrong in the situation I described I'm fishing accurately over the same place in a commercial, providing I'm not fishing over slit its going to be the same depth everytime.

How many times in the past have you found that sweet spot, got in a rhythm and a tangle/crack off etc occurred and you just couldn't get it back? That in Mt head is the 5mm mate
I always re plumb the depth after changing hooklength even a ready made one.I never take anything for granted.

Golden Eagle

Reaction score
I always re plumb the depth after changing hooklength even a ready made one.I never take anything for granted.
Little bit too time consuming for me that approach, hence why I carry uniform hooklengths.
Akso what do you do if you’re fishing shallow?

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Little bit too time consuming for me that approach, hence why I carry uniform hooklengths.
Akso what do you do if you’re fishing shallow?
Rig lengths are uniform, if fishing on the bottom I want the hook and bait to be on the bottom ,Carp/F1 can gouge a hole in the bed of the water when rooting for food.hence if bite dry up I re plumb, over a period of a few hours you would be surprised how the depth can change.

As for fishing shallow I have the depth marked on my top kit.

Golden Eagle

Reaction score
Rig lengths are uniform, if fishing on the bottom I want the hook and bait to be on the bottom ,Carp/F1 can gouge a hole in the bed of the water when rooting for food.hence if bite dry up I re plumb, over a period of a few hours you would be surprised how the depth can change.

I too, regularly re-plumb for the reasons you have mentioned. Don’t need to change hooklength for this.

If you have marked the depth on a shallow rig, how do you return to it unless your hooklengths are equal?

Burton Bridge

Reaction score

Interesting I never thought about the depth changing, but it obviously would

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
I too, regularly re-plumb for the reasons you have mentioned. Don’t need to change hooklength for this.

If you have marked the depth on a shallow rig, how do you return to it unless your hooklengths are equal?
Mark on topkit where either base of pole float body is or top of pole float body ,and mark where the hook is, The hooklengths should be equal if bought ready made, if done by hand ,you are probably Talking a couple of mil, not inches differences.

Golden Eagle

Reaction score
Mark on topkit where either base of pole float body is or top of pole float body ,and mark where the hook is, The hooklengths should be equal if bought ready made, if done by hand ,you are probably Talking a couple of mil, not inches differences.
Surely easier just to tie them consistently the same length?

Reaction score

Important for both,unless you think money is more important than catching fish???

Reaction score
No insult taken mate,I match fished with Blackhorse match group for many years,won many leagues,individual successes,but I preferred match fishing on rivers and canals,and when these venues lost their appeal and match fishing moved to commies,I went back to pleasure fishing,however,I fish like a match angler(an old one),apart from when I barbel fish,something ive always loved doing,so I have an inkling of fishing very seriously,match wise...

Burton Bridge

Reaction score
No insult taken mate,I match fished with Blackhorse match group for many years,won many leagues,individual successes,but I preferred match fishing on rivers and canals,and when these venues lost their appeal and match fishing moved to commies,I went back to pleasure fishing,however,I fish like a match angler(an old one),apart from when I barbel fish,something ive always loved doing,so I have an inkling of fishing very seriously,match wise...
Up untill this year, I was exactly the same as you.