Hook length boxes

Reaction score
Well done, you appear to have accomplished a skill that is not necessary.

What isnt necessary,tying a hook on the bank,or having to have a hooklink box full of hooks,tying a hook quickly and efficiently is something that comes from match fishing,you dont really want to be fishing matches with stale,six month old hooklengths,I certainly didnt anyway...which can happen,also having hooks tied on 6",8",12" lengths as some anglers amounts to 3 boxes of em,more garbage to carry about,lol.

rayner

Reaction score
I understood everyone who ties their own hooks use something similar.
To supplement what markcw has said, I am at the moment tying some hooks using his proscribed method. I use PI mag store box for my hooks. Initially I tie a hook then to get the dead length required, anchor the hook on one point of the magnetic hook keep stick then take the line around to the loop anchor. Take the line around that anchor, to form the loop, pinch both loop lines together lift off the stick and tie the loop with a figure of 8 knot. This will result in a hook length very slightly shorter than the length of the retaining anchors. This is OK as it means you can store the hook length under a bit of tension which will keep it secure. To avoid having to repeat this every time use a length of wood as a jig. Knock a panel pin in at one end of the wood. Take the pre tied hook length and fit the hook around the panel pin. I leave the head of the panel pin on to stop the hook sliding off. Put the second panel pin through the loop in the hook length and extend it along the wood until you have the full length than knock in the second panel pin. I remove the head of the second panel pin to allow the nipped loop to be easily lifted off for tying the figure of 8 knot. Here is a photo of my set up:View attachment 18439As I have said I use IP mag store, but you can use this method with any system you use once, as markcw says, you have done the fiddly bit and got the correct hook length. Hope this helps. Pete.
As I understood, everyone has something similar for tying hooks. I just have the pins nailed to the shelf that I use for tying my hooks.

Reaction score
I certainly dont Gary and it appears Silvers(Alex) doesnt either,even though I thought he would have,the sole reason I do not tie hooks and store them is I feel happier and more confident on fresh tied hooklengths,I understand perfectly why some dont because of eyesight,or sausage fingers syndrome(which I haveva minor case,lol),anything to make your own angling easy....

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
Looks like something I could do when the weather isn't behaving. I wonder if one could be made with one removable pin and multiple holes so that different length hooklengths could be made?

Maybe that would have too much play and cause the lengths to vary too much? ?
Just use a wider piece of wood and more pins,
Put bottom row of pins in a horizontal line for hook ,then pins at corresponding lengths going up the wood.
If doing 6" hooklengths then wanting to do 12" put hook over pin as normal, take line up and around pin you have set at 6" length and back round to pin with hook on. Wrap round pin to form loop, remove and tie the loop
. Voilà....... A 12" hooklength.

rayner

Reaction score
I certainly dont Gary and it appears Silvers(Alex) doesnt either,even though I thought he would have,the sole reason I do not tie hooks and store them is I feel happier and more confident on fresh tied hooklengths,I understand perfectly why some dont because of eyesight,or sausage fingers syndrome(which I haveva minor case,lol),anything to make your own angling easy....
Alan, I was only talking of folk who tie hooks at home. When I was capable I tied hooklinks directly to reel lines on the rod.
Anglers are all different, some tie on the bank, some at home, some can't be bothered, using ready tied. All are right.

nottskev

Reaction score
If you're prepping stuff for matches, know in advance what kind of rigs you'll use, and/or carry lots of kit, it's quite reasonable to take boxes of pre-tied.
But I don't buy the idea that tying on the bank by hand is a redundant skill. If you have it, you can tie any hook, any time to any line as the situation requires - roving about with minimal gear, realising you want a different combination of hook, line and length to what you thought, deciding you need to tie direct with no hooklength, you've run out of pre-tied's, you just droped your hook tyer in the river.......
Being able to tie by hand makes you more independent of gear, and that's hardly a bad thing.

Reaction score
Exactly,Gary,what is right for the individual is all that really counts,bet you only carry one box full though...

Reaction score
If you're prepping stuff for matches, know in advance what kind of rigs you'll use, and/or carry lots of kit, it's quite reasonable to take boxes of pre-tied.
But I don't buy the idea that tying on the bank by hand is a redundant skill. If you have it, you can tie any hook, any time to any line as the situation requires - roving about with minimal gear, realising you want a different combination of hook, line and length to what you thought, deciding you need to tie direct with no hooklength, you've run out of pre-tied's, you just droped your hook tyer in the river.......
Being able to tie by hand makes you more independent of gear, and that's hardly a bad thing.

Get my spare out,lol...

rayner

Reaction score
Nope, I carry one foam disk with 5 of the hooks I am to use. If I have a total disaster and lose a couple it is rare, if I were to lose all 5 I would go home.
The days of carrying options have long gone.

Edit.
When I get home I tie at least one to cover the one used. Breakages rarely happen.

Last edited:

Reaction score
I thought as much Gary,most sessions I know what patterns im to use in advance down to venue,bait choice,but I carry all the patterns,because at odd times gate crashing creatures create an unexpected scenario that needs handling,so I get the crane and winch out and tie a meat hook on....

RMNDIL

Reaction score
Initially I tie a hook then to get the dead length required, anchor the hook on one point of the magnetic hook keep stick then take the line around to the loop anchor. Take the line around that anchor, to form the loop, pinch both loop lines together lift off the stick and tie the loop with a figure of 8 knot. This will result in a hook length very slightly shorter than the length of the retaining anchors. This is OK as it means you can store the hook length under a bit of tension which will keep it secure.
Same as. And i tie to the box pins. Don't need any other jig etc. And i'm one of the ones who carries a number of hooklength boxes with different hook/line (and even some lengths) combinations in them as they are for matches where time is important. But if I'm travelling light, rucksack, couple of rods etc I just tie on the bank as time is not pressing.

bracket

Reaction score
Alan, I was only talking of folk who tie hooks at home. When I was capable I tied hooklinks directly to reel lines on the rod.
Anglers are all different, some tie on the bank, some at home, some can't be bothered, using ready tied. All are right.
Tying hook lengths on the bank can be a great advantage, especially when on a new venue, where it is necessary to sort out what needs doing and setting up your tackle accordingly. However, if like me, you tend to regularly to fish known and familiar venues, then there is no harm in being prepared with pre tied hook lengths, particularly when fishing 3 times a week as this ensures a high usage rate of hooks. So no deterioration issues, although having said that, my Son in Law, Chris is still using hooks I tied him 3 years ago, with no failures. I am fortunate in being able to tie both on the bank and at home. I will say this in my defence, there is something very therapeutic and comforting about sitting at home tying up 50 or so hook's. Particularly when My Lady is watching poxy Strictly Come Dancing. Pete

nottskev

Reaction score
Tying hook lengths on the bank can be a great advantage, especially when on a new venue, where it is necessary to sort out what needs doing and setting up your tackle accordingly. However, if like me, you tend to regularly to fish known and familiar venues, then there is no harm in being prepared with pre tied hook lengths, particularly when fishing 3 times a week as this ensures a high usage rate of hooks. So no deterioration issues, although having said that, my Son in Law, Chris is still using hooks I tied him 3 years ago, with no failures. I am fortunate in being able to tie both on the bank and at home. I will say this in my defence, there is something very therapeutic and comforting about sitting at home tying up 50 or so hook's. Particularly when My Lady is watching poxy Strictly Come Dancing. Pete

Therapeutic, Pete? It needs no defence -I wish I could do it and feel soothed and calmed but it drives me nuts to be fiddling around with all the bits and pieces at home, so I never tie many, if I do. Pole rigs have a similar effect. I like using them, but making two or three at a go will be enough.

bracket

Reaction score
Therapeutic, Pete? It needs no defence -I wish I could do it and feel soothed and calmed but it drives me nuts to be fiddling around with all the bits and pieces at home, so I never tie many, if I do. Pole rigs have a similar effect. I like using them, but making two or three at a go will be enough.
Kev. Yes, I think therapeutic best describes it for me. It's akin to a lady knitting I guess. A simple activity that requires little thought and is almost automatic. Strange as it may seem my Mother started to teach me to knit when I was a child. The first thing I attempted was a scarf. Unfortunately she never taught me to cast off so I have a work in progress from all those years ago that stretches from Dorset to Nottingham. I do have perfect peace and contentment though. Pete

nottskev

Reaction score
Kev. Yes, I think therapeutic best describes it for me. It's akin to a lady knitting I guess. A simple activity that requires little thought and is almost automatic. Strange as it may seem my Mother started to teach me to knit when I was a child. The first thing I attempted was a scarf. Unfortunately she never taught me to cast off so I have a work in progress from all those years ago that stretches from Dorset to Nottingham. I do have perfect peace and contentment though. Pete

That's great. I think I still find hook tying a bit stressful ( despite tying them for decades) - like I'm not sure til I've done it that the knot will turn out perfect. I can find some things therapeutic that bore others to death, like painting walls. My engineer mate would help me with any tricky job, but would rather eat worms than paint walls.

Reaction score
I must add,my posts my sound aggressively against tying hooks and stacking them in boxes,but really it is just how I feel about it,my preference and I would never find tying fifty therapeutic,even though it wouldnt take that long to do.

mikench

Reaction score
Chrissh on this forum kindly gave me two Guru hook length boxes which I use for those hook lengths I do prepare. I still have a few left he had made and they are much better than mine particularly banded 18 hooks.

Reaction score
Practice does make perfect(or better anyway)Mike...

rayner

Reaction score
I have to say my hook tying emulates Pete, (bracket) I without doubt class hook tying as therapeutic. I spent most of the lockdown tying my hooks. My lockdown lasted months longer than most. We that shielded were advised to stay indoors, not too difficult for me.
Things I can do alone. Fish, thanks to my wife who does carry me around, I feel coggled not impeded as an angler. I can also tie hooks without assistance that is down to a jig I made to assist, all other tasks I can manage relate to fishing.
Other tasks my wife does, she is a marvel.