Important announcement

vsadmin

Administrator
Reaction score
Why you cannot opt-out of cookies, I will certainly investigate. UK law says you have to have the option to and we have no reason to not follow the law as it stands. If you can provide a screengrab of the warning or error you saw it might aid in my investigation. I am not able to see specifically what you see since we are not on the same device, browser, or IP. It makes it very complicated for me to attempt replicating your browsing experience without more info. This is not typical behavior for the cookie warning.
-Philip

vsadmin

Administrator
Reaction score
If I do terminate my account with you will I have a written guarantee that all my personal information will be completely erased and it will never or can be used by your company.

Happy to help. You can email privacy@verticalscope.com, If you are sending your email from a different address than you registered your account, please include that email, your username as well as the site name/URL. We need this for authentication of account ownership. A member of our policy team will take you through the steps and provide you with documentation as per The General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR).
-Philip

vsadmin

Administrator
Reaction score
Once the request is confirmed we will follow the timeline described by GDPR rules (it does not all happen overnight.) The outcome is permanent and not reversible once the request is received and the steps are started.
-Philip

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Happy to help. You can email privacy@verticalscope.com, If you are sending your email from a different address than you registered your account, please include that email, your username as well as the site name/URL. We need this for authentication of account ownership. A member of our policy team will take you through the steps and provide you with documentation as per The General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR).
-Philip
Oh boy this was never going to be easy was it, GDPR are as far as I can make out is a EU organization, some group of solicitors or something, we are not in the EU and I don't want to get involved with them. How can I just leave this site and get a guarantee on MY personal information will not be used by your company?

vsadmin

Administrator
Reaction score
Oh boy this was never going to be easy was it, GDPR are as far as I can make out is a EU organization, some group of solicitors or something, we are not in the EU and I don't want to get involved with them. How can I just leave this site and get a guarantee on MY personal information will not be used by your company?

You do not need to involve solicitors, you simply send the email and request confirmation, it will be handled. Because of international privacy laws and your geographic location as well as your request for this to be in writing it needs to be filtered through the policy team.
-Philip

no-one in particular

Reaction score
You do not need to involve solicitors, you simply send the email and request confirmation, it will be handled. Because of international privacy laws and your geographic location as well as your request for this to be in writing it needs to be filtered through the policy team.
-Philip
I will get on to them. You have not been up front, you say this, "you will eventually see our TOS and Privacy Policies in place but you’ll find they’re the same as you already work with". They are not the same at all and then tell me that just by using this site I have unwittingly agreed to them. You must see how wrong that is, the first thing you should have done is shown us your policies/terms etc. and asked us to agree to them by ticking a box. I guess my private personal information has already gone to your thousands of affiliates or however it works, and someone somewhere is already making money from it; will I get any remuneration for that as your company will make money from what basically belongs to me; I will ask them. And I doubt the "you agreed to our policies by using the site without any warning" is going to hold up. I didn't agree and I do not agree and I was not asked.
Why you cannot opt-out of cookies, I will certainly investigate. UK law says you have to have the option to and we have no reason to not follow the law as it stands. If you can provide a screengrab of the warning or error you saw it might aid in my investigation. I am not able to see specifically what you see since we are not on the same device, browser, or IP. It makes it very complicated for me to attempt replicating your browsing experience without more info. This is not typical behavior for the cookie warning.
-Philip
What happened is trying to find your cookies opt out buttons which are not provided there was just a link to "for more information", I clicked this and ended up on a google policy page. You do not provide any options on your cookies. Usually there is just a essential cookies which is on, and then options to opt out of several categories like sharing personal information and advertising just by switching them off. All you have do then is click agree to the above and job is done. Not it seems with your company, it is in my opinion deliberately obscure and difficult, as it seems with anything so far. Clicking "for more information " was the only option given and that just led me even further to more difficulty. If every other company can make it simple, why not yours, I think I know the answer.

I am tired of companies like yours that think they can just get MY personal information whatever way the can, like it it is a bag of sweets to be given to anyone without my permission or agreement, make me an unwitting mug in your game, make money from it and offer nothing in return. I work or at least worked for a living.

Sorry to have ruined your day, but you have somewhat ruined mine. I see your based in Toronto, if you ever see an Englishman catch a 50lb carp let us know.

Last edited:

vsadmin

Administrator
Reaction score
I will get on to them. You have not been up front, you say this, "you will eventually see our TOS and Privacy Policies in place but you’ll find they’re the same as you already work with". They are not the same at all and then tell me that just by using this site I have unwittingly agreed to them. You must see how wrong that is, the first thing you should have done is shown us your policies/terms etc. and asked us to agree to them by ticking a box. I guess my private personal information has already gone to your affiliates or however it works, and someone somewhere is already making money from it; will I get any remuneration for that as your company will make money from what basically belongs to me; I will ask them. And I doubt the "you agreed to our policies by using the site without any warning" is going to hold up.

What happened is trying to find your cookies opt out buttons which are not provided there was just a link to "for more information", I clicked this and ended up on a google policy page. You do not provide any options on your cookies. Usually there is just a essential cookies which is on, and then options to opt out of several categories like sharing personal information and advertising just by switching them off. All you have do then is click agree to the above and job is done. Not it seems with your company, it is in my opinion deliberately obscure and difficult, as it seems with anything so far. Clicking "for more information " was the only option given and that just led me even further to more difficulty. If every other company can make it simple, why not yours, I think I know the answer.

I am tired of companies like yours that think they can just get MY personal information whatever way the can, like it it is a bag of sweets to be given to anyone without my permission or agreement, make money from it and offer nothing in return. I work or at least worked for a living.

Sorry to have ruined your day, but you have somewhat ruined mine. I see your based in Toronto, if you ever see an Englishman catch a 50lb carp let us know.

Not ruined my day in the least. Our policies are perfectly clear, legal, and above board. If you do not want an account on the site you can ask for your data to be removed. If you want to continue to post here it will only reinforce your agreement to the posted terms. I was not made aware that we have updated the cookies policy on the site yet. There is a chance you have only been seeing what you have always seen before. You can try clearing your browser cache to see if it asks you again. Without seeing what you see, I can't really replicate this or honestly comment.
-Philip

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Not ruined my day in the least. Our policies are perfectly clear, legal, and above board. If you do not want an account on the site you can ask for your data to be removed. If you want to continue to post here it will only reinforce your agreement to the posted terms. I was not made aware that we have updated the cookies policy on the site yet. There is a chance you have only been seeing what you have always seen before. You can try clearing your browser cache to see if it asks you again. Without seeing what you see, I can't really replicate this or honestly comment.
-Philip
Everything from your VertiScope privacy policy from the link you provided,
QUICK LINKS

Click on one of the links below to jump to the listed section:

1. Information we collect
  2. How we use the information we collect
  3. Cookies, tracking technologies and interest-based advertising
  4. How we share your personal information
  5. How we store and protect your personal information
  6. Links to external content
  7. Children
  8. Accessing and correcting your personal information
  9. Users from the European Union
  10. California Privacy Rights
  11. Your choices
  12. How to contact us

vsadmin

Administrator
Reaction score
So what exactly are you asking me to do for you?
-Philip

vsadmin

Administrator
Reaction score
The popup with the cookie policy is the same one that has always been on the site: https://www.fishingmagic.com/cookie-policy/ This is not the VS policy, it has not been installed yet. If you have a problem with our privacy policy you can request your account info be removed, the email has been provided here, it's also in the links you copied and pasted. If you do not want to agree to the terms of use, you can choose not to use the site.
-Philip

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
What about members who have been banned off the site , how would they go on about getting their data removed ? They can't access the site to request that .
Also members who have not posted for a year or so but could still access the site if they wanted to .

mikench

Reaction score
Interesting news and novel nomenclature ! I reiterate that I do not expect something for nothing on a regular basis and would be willing to pay if only to avoid adverts. I regard adverts on and in media to be irritating at best and downright unacceptable at worst. Many a decent website is ruined by adverts popping up all over and making the site clunky and, to my mind, unnavigable. The GDPR are a joke and bluntly disingenuous in their application. The warning which pops up on many sites is the same all over and I don't believe for one minute that a commercial website gives two hoots about data protection. They are just going through the motions and complying with the rules just like government Heath warnings, financial services wealth warnings and sell by dates- overused and ignored by 99% of the " community ".

. I am sure that the new owners were not swayed by the stated number of members which is far from reality but maybe see a market in those few members who regularly post and partipate and those who are merely guests. I don't think inappropriate adverts are the answer and never will be but what do I know.

I shall reserve judgement and see how it goes which is only fair and equitable

Last edited:

theartist

Reaction score
Of other sites most have adverts, I think they are hard to avoid, much like telly, after a while you don't notice them, I suppose it depends on what device you are using to how they appear and the effect it has on your enjoyment of the forum.

Would you boycott ebay or amazon? They have ads

no-one in particular

Reaction score
I do not mind adverts within reason, people have to make a living. I do like to have the choice though of how cookies are used and what protection is given to my personal data, that's what is crucial here now a new company has taken over.

Last edited:

Kirsty Hewitt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks all for your understanding. It was not an easy decision but we felt the time was right to move on, in part prompted by my going on maternity leave - I had a lovely baby boy almost two weeks ago! I’m going to take a few months off now and just enjoy him while he’s so tiny. I’ll then go back to the day job with Thomas Turner, so will pop in here from time to time with that.
It’s been great to get to know all of you and I hope you continue to enjoy the forum for many years to come. I’ll leave you in the capable hands of Philip and his team 😊
All the best,
Kirsty

Mayfly

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Quick question to Verticalscope ...
Do any of the admin and mods who will have something to do with Fishingmagic every go fishing or have a genuine interest in fishing ,?
Did any of the mods or admin before verticalscope came along, ever go fishing or have a genuine interest in fishing?