Important announcement

vsadmin

Administrator
Reaction score
bb

You didn't buy this forum because you liked a bit of fishing though. I think you bought it for one reason, another load of private data to exploit. That's how you make your money or it wasn't to build a nice online community. If I am wrong I am ready listen though.

The site was owned by a company before we acquired it. Some of the other sites we acquired on the same network were passed through companies three times before we arrived. Noone would have been able to afford to pay for a site like this if they just fancied a bit of fishing. The site has to pay for itself, it's why there are ads on the page. As far as your private data, I can tell you the only private things we have are your IP, your email, and an encrypted password. The first two are shown to anyone you send an email to and nearly any service you use your email to verify your login info with. You're IP is visible to every site you visit. We do not sell or share your email address, that would be about as useful as selling a phonebook, not to mention against our own privacy policy and multiple international privacy laws. We did not build a nice online community, bought and paid for one, and plan to continue to maintain it to protect and grow our investment. This is the same as every previous owner before us.

-Philip

no-one in particular

Reaction score
bbb
The site was owned by a company before we acquired it. Some of the other sites we acquired on the same network were passed through companies three times before we arrived. Noone would have been able to afford to pay for a site like this if they just fancied a bit of fishing. The site has to pay for itself, it's why there are ads on the page. As far as your private data, I can tell you the only private things we have are your IP, your email, and an encrypted password. The first two are shown to anyone you send an email to and nearly any service you use your email to verify your login info with. You're IP is visible to every site you visit. We do not sell or share your email address, that would be about as useful as selling a phonebook, not to mention against our own privacy policy and multiple international privacy laws. We did not build a nice online community, bought and paid for one, and plan to continue to maintain it to protect and grow our investment. This is the same as every previous owner before us.

-Philip
I have objected to none of this, you or anyone buying this site, it is not my business. I have said I do not mind advertising within reason, I never objected to advertising with the previous owners, only when it got a bit heavy with adverts appearing between posts. I don't mind anyone advertising on here, it is not really my business anyway and I know how hard it is to make a living. Good luck to them and you on that score. I have already said this to you. I hope it is financially rewarding for you.

I have objected to there is no opt out and no means of giving permission and no means of having any control how you use my personal data or give it to whoever you please, it is the principle in the way you are operating and the way you are running this aspect of this site and I assume all your sites. I posted in an earlier post copied from your privacy policy that basically said I waved all rights and agreed to this just because I typed a word on this site. You have said as soon as we use the site, type one word on here I have agreed to all your terms and conditions which is just plain wrong. And which frankly looking at your privacy policy has offered no privacy. I am in contact with your team, this is on going but I must confess so far it is not in anyway enlightening, polite or welcoming. They are saying there is a consent wall but I can't find it. If anyone knows where it is or how I can access it, please do.
I am taking the privacy policy with your company name on it you provided the link to, I will deal with that, not what went on before as it is immaterial now; anything I signed or agreed to is null and void as far as I am concerned. I pointed this out in a previous post about companies taking over/buying other companies. With your company I have no agreement or signed up to anything.
I am a very private person, I have never revealed my name, where I fish, where I live, any name of anyone I know in all the years I have used this site. It has never bothered me before the scant details I have provided, just trusted they would be respected, maybe wrongly but that's always the way I felt, Your new and your answers have not made me feel that unwritten trust, misguided or not; will continue.

Last edited:

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs

-Philip
I use what you in Canada or America would term as burner phone on here, It's not registered to anyone, it has an over the counter SIM card with a data allowance on it, I top this up as and when required , my email address is one I discontinued using a few years ago for various reasons , mainly different companies had acquired it somehow and I was bombarded with things such as " we have your details and the sites you visit and your webcam activity , pay so much or friends and family will see what you are doing "
Well good luck on them chasing that up.
That email address was removed from all my main contacts including hospital and banks .My IP address was more than likely from when I set up this account when I was living in a different part of the country using the burner phone and discontinued email address.
Some members have my actual main mobile number but not the one that I use to access this .
So as far as I am concerned what you have are details I no longer use such as email and a contact number that is not registered to me .

vsadmin

Administrator
Reaction score
I use what you in Canada or America would term as burner phone on here, It's not registered to anyone, it has an over the counter SIM card with a data allowance on it, I top this up as and when required , my email address is one I discontinued using a few years ago for various reasons , mainly different companies had acquired it somehow and I was bombarded with things such as " we have your details and the sites you visit and your webcam activity , pay so much or friends and family will see what you are doing "
Well good luck on them chasing that up.
That email address was removed from all my main contacts including hospital and banks .My IP address was more than likely from when I set up this account when I was living in a different part of the country using the burner phone and discontinued email address.
Some members have my actual main mobile number but not the one that I use to access this .
So as far as I am concerned what you have are details I no longer use such as email and a contact number that is not registered to me .

So there is no reason for concern then?
-Philip

vsadmin

Administrator
Reaction score
bbb

I have objected to none of this, you or anyone buying this site, it is not my business. I have said I do not mind advertising within reason, I never objected to advertising with the previous owners, only when it got a bit heavy with adverts appearing between posts. I don't mind anyone advertising on here, it is not really my business anyway and I know how hard it is to make a living. Good luck to them and you on that score. I have already said this to you. I hope it is financially rewarding for you.

I have objected to there is no opt out and no means of giving permission and no means of having any control how you use my personal data or give it to whoever you please, it is the principle in the way you are operating and the way you are running this aspect of this site and I assume all your sites. I posted in an earlier post copied from your privacy policy that basically said I waved all rights and agreed to this just because I typed a word on this site. You have said as soon as we use the site, type one word on here I have agreed to all your terms and conditions which is just plain wrong. And which frankly looking at your privacy policy has offered no privacy. I am in contact with your team, this is on going but I must confess so far it is not in anyway enlightening, polite or welcoming. They are saying there is a consent wall but I can't find it. If anyone knows where it is or how I can access it, please do.
I am taking the privacy policy with your company name on it you provided the link to, I will deal with that, not what went on before as it is immaterial now; anything I signed or agreed to is null and void as far as I am concerned. I pointed this out in a previous post about companies taking over/buying other companies. With your company I have no agreement or signed up to anything.
I am a very private person, I have never revealed my name, where I fish, where I live, any name of anyone I know in all the years I have used this site. It has never bothered me before the scant details I have provided, just trusted they would be respected, maybe wrongly but that's always the way I felt, Your new and your answers have not made me feel that unwritten trust, misguided or not; will continue.

I will have to refer you to continue to dialog with the policy team.
-Philip

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
So there is no reason for concern then?
-Philip
My only concern is the way this site can end up , Like other sites that have been run down your company are involved with.
There are comments on one site were they call VS the Borg after the startrek characters, and staff nuking members posts .And these are from 2012. Other sites say the same and these are only months old .

vsadmin

Administrator
Reaction score
My only concern is the way this site can end up , Like other sites that have been run down your company are involved with.
There are comments on one site were they call VS the Borg after the startrek characters, and staff nuking members posts .And these are from 2012. Other sites say the same and these are only months old .

The same mod team here as you had before + me. I haven't removed any posts despite I am sure some folks hoping to bait me to do it. When a site begins to focus heavily on off-topic discussions and not its intended spirit it's lost the plot. The people you see complaining are typically complaining that we took all the negative fun out of the place. Reprimanded them for posting racist memes, fighting with other members, unwelcoming new users, and in general trying to steer the narrative of the site to their own toxic hangout. You are welcome to worry all you like about what might happen, I just think you will have a better time here talking fishing.
-Philip

John Aston

Reaction score
Bloody hell , I do feel a bit left out , as I don't live off grid under an alias ,and don't even keep a loaded shotgun against the wall . Just, y'know, in case ...Given my spending habits Mr Bezos and his chums know exactly where to find me .

no-one in particular

Reaction score
I will have to refer you to continue to dialog with the policy team.
-Philip

Thanks, I will, we have come a long way from your opening blurb, "don't worry just carry on as usual nothing has changed". A lot has changed and you will be changing a lot more if my experience of company take overs are anything to go by. I suggest everyone read the privacy policy, no stone is unturned, you have all agreed to it and no get out worth talking about. All your posts, private information, location, third party other internet use, auto collected some of it can be used by this company at will and how they like. And they haven't even asked me, there is no respect for privacy. Their Privacy Policy is basically telling you - you have none. And by the way, do you read private messages as well? I cant say I am happy about it and will make my future decision on this site but, that's me, I will leave everyone else to make their own mind up.

Last edited:

vsadmin

Administrator
Reaction score
Thanks, I will, we have come a long way from your opening blurb, "don't worry just carry on as usual nothing has changed". A lot has changed and you will be changing a lot more if my experience of company take overs are anything to go by. I suggest everyone read the privacy policy, no stone is unturned, you have all agreed to it and no get out worth talking about. All your posts, private information, location, third party other internet use, auto collected some of it can be used by this company at will and how they like. And they haven't even asked me, there is no respect for privacy. Their Privacy Policy is basically telling you - you have none. And by the way, do you read private messages as well? I cant say I am happy about it and will make my future decision on this site but, that's me, I will leave everyone else to make their own mind up.

You have the email to our complaints department and the people who wrote the privacy policy.
-Philip

fishface1

Reaction score
Could you elaborate?
-Philip
Tapatalk is an app that allows easy access to many different fora.

Fishingmagic seems to no longer be listed.

this means you have to log in and use the web browser version, which, on a mobile, for me and maybe others, is a pain.

I think quite a few people used Tapatalk, which may be why post numbers have dropped right off.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Just stay logged in , I have no problems staying loged in.
Then go to Fishingmagic forum on Google , go on that and you are in with no problems,
It would be better if there was a way of having something such as an app on home screen and just click onto that .

seth49

Reaction score
Just stay logged in , I have no problems staying loged in.
Then go to Fishingmagic forum on Google , go on that and you are in with no problems,
It would be better if there was a way of having something such as an app on home screen and just click onto that .
That’s what I’ve done with my iPad, just added it too the home screen, and it’s there like an app, just click on it and straight in.

fishface1

Reaction score
My phone automatically logs me out everyday. I will see if I can change that setting.

The other issue with the web page vs Tapatalk is that you need to work through every page (or scroll to the bottom and click the final page button) to get to most recent.

It’s just not as mobile friendly.

Admittedly first world problems, but….

vsadmin

Administrator
Reaction score
We are waiting on replies from TT support contacts.
-Philip