Important announcement

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
I have been to fish-in’s with Peter, who as far as I know is the only mod at present. Previously I have fished with Posh Paul and Neil Maidment, they were all decent anglers and nice guys too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mikench

Reaction score
Peter Jacobs has fished all his life and across a few continents. He remains a Mod indeed the only Mod. Previous mods such as Bluenose and another Neil Maidment are both keen and expert anglers. It's a curious question for a first post. Why do you ask?

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Note to Markcw and Mayfly . . .

I have moderated FM for close on 20 years now . . .

i've fished for well over 60 years having dedicated a decade to Carp and Tench fishing, another decade to match fishing in Norway, Sweden and France and have fished for the Norwegian National Team In the Home championshIps alongside people like Jan Porter . . . I have also participated in many major events in Europe.

In between time I fish my local Hampshire Avon as well as the Itchen and the Test with odd trips to Avington.

Many of the older members here have fished with me in FM matches as well as pleasure Fish Ins . . . in fact I used to organise many of the FM events as well as sponsor some too.

I hope that answers your questions but if you have any others please feel free to ask . . . I am more than happy to answer . ..

Have a nice day and . . . tight lines . . . . .

Last edited:

vsadmin

Administrator
Reaction score
What about members who have been banned off the site , how would they go on about getting their data removed ? They can't access the site to request that .
Also members who have not posted for a year or so but could still access the site if they wanted to .

The same way they always did before. They can use the contact us link at the bottom of the page.
-Philip

vsadmin

Administrator
Reaction score
Interesting news and novel nomenclature ! I reiterate that I do not expect something for nothing on a regular basis and would be willing to pay if only to avoid adverts. I regard adverts on and in media to be irritating at best and downright unacceptable at worst. Many a decent website is ruined by adverts popping up all over and making the site clunky and, to my mind, unnavigable. The GDPR are a joke and bluntly disingenuous in their application. The warning which pops up on many sites is the same all over and I don't believe for one minute that a commercial website gives two hoots about data protection. They are just going through the motions and complying with the rules just like government Heath warnings, financial services wealth warnings and sell by dates- overused and ignored by 99% of the " community ".

. I am sure that the new owners were not swayed by the stated number of members which is far from reality but maybe see a market in those few members who regularly post and partipate and those who are merely guests. I don't think inappropriate adverts are the answer and never will be but what do I know.

I shall reserve judgement and see how it goes which is only fair and equitable

Contrary to what you might believe we do take data security seriously. The two hoots for GDPR compliance come in under the threat of financially crippling litigation and fines levied by international government agencies. Privacy law is the law and the bigger the fish the larger the reward it will fetch if they are being negligent.

I appreciate your wanting to reserve judgment. If you have specific questions I will do my best to answer them.
-Philip

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
Peter Jacobs has fished all his life and across a few continents. He remains a Mod indeed the only Mod. Previous mods such as Bluenose and another Neil Maidment are both keen and expert anglers. It's a curious question for a first post. Why do you ask?
Eddie ( Bluenose) was in the same angling club as myself . He also had a good radio programme.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Eddie ( Bluenose) was in the same angling club as myself . He also had a good radio programme

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
The same way they always did before. They can use the contact us link at the bottom of the page.
-Philip
I think if they are banned off here , they wouldn't be able to access the site .
Maybe someone could clarify this .
As for members who have drifted away for one reason or another won't know about the change over so the wouldn't be contacting you .

vsadmin

Administrator
Reaction score
Quick question to Verticalscope ...
Do any of the admin and mods who will have something to do with Fishingmagic every go fishing or have a genuine interest in fishing ,?

I wish I had more time and lived by the sea again. When I had to opportunity to live and work in La Paz, Mexico I was fishing pretty often. My housemates were avid fishermen, one published a blog dedicated to fishing. We used to hire a ponga and a captain about every 2-3 weeks. Typically for catching mahi-mahi, the occasional red snapper, and lots of stupid needlefish. It kept our freezer stocked with fish for the BBQ. Twice we were invited on big boats to hunt for Marlin. We never typically caught as much, those were usually invitations to parties on a boat that had reels aboard and the captain did not have the generational knowledge of those waters the small ponga captains did.

fishing.jpg

In July I am following my wife to the east coast of Canada for her week-long work trip. Hoping to book a charter trip out there if I can find one that will accept a single rider to tag along.

-Philip

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Note to Markcw and Mayfly . . .

I have moderated FM for close on 20 years now . . .

i've fished for well over 60 years having dedicated a decade to Carp and Tench fishing, another decade to match fishing in Norway, Sweden and France and have fished for the Norwegian National Team In the Home championshIps alongside people like Jan Porter . . . I have also participated in many major events in Europe.

In between time I fish my local Hampshire Avon as well as the Itchen and the Test with odd trips to Avington.

Many of the older members here have fished with me in FM matches as well as pleasure Fish Ins . . . in fact I used to organise many of the FM events as well as sponsor some too.

I hope that answers your questions but if you have any others please feel free to ask . . . I am more than happy to answer . ..

Have a nice day and . . . tight lines . . . . .
Maybe I should have worded it better , it was for the owners of verticalpost, and their staff .
I know yourself has fished here and abroad. Plus Bluenose goes fishing .

vsadmin

Administrator
Reaction score
Maybe I should have worded it better , it was for the owners of verticalpost, and their staff .
I know yourself has fished here and abroad. Plus Bluenose goes fishing .

I hope that helped answer your question for me at least. The company is full of enthusiasts and to work on my team you need to know about forums and be part of forums. I am not about to start sharing specifics about my co-workers' lives and hobbies but I did share a little about mine.
-Philip

no-one in particular

Reaction score
bb
I hope that helped answer your question for me at least. The company is full of enthusiasts and to work on my team you need to know about forums and be part of forums. I am not about to start sharing specifics about my co-workers' lives and hobbies but I did share a little about mine.
-Philip
You didn't buy this forum because you liked a bit of fishing though. I think you bought it for one reason, another load of private data to exploit. That's how you make your money or it wasn't to build a nice online community. If I am wrong I am ready listen though.

mikench

Reaction score
Mayfly I await your response. Tell us about about yourself which is what new members are supposed to do but i suspect you already know that.

John Aston

Reaction score
God above , who'd buy a website eh ? Breaking news folks - they're owned and run by folk trying to make a living , hence the users are the product . Why would anybody expect otherwise ?