a few course fishing questions ...

associatedmatt

Reaction score
As only been back fishing for a short while there are a few questions i would like to cleared up .

As in another thread planning to fish for tench , carp and barbel on 1.5lb rods but regarding reels , i have no problem using bait runners for feeder fishing small ones anyway . I have got 2x shimano DL 10000 and 1x shimano DL 4000

should i use the 10000's for barbel fishing as they can handle higher breaking strain line and more cranking power or should i use the 4000 ?

The 10000's will be ok fishing bigger carp on clear and weedy gravel pits for bigger carp further out ? Or are they too big for avon rods ?

what time of the year do barbel start showing up alot more as well ?

thanks all

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I'd go with the 4000 sized reel.

associatedmatt

Reaction score
As i thought for barbel and tench etc but line rating upto 10lb . im not sure il be comfortable fishing 10lb when 30lb carp in a weedy lake with not a great deal of big carp experience :rolleyes:

thecrow

Reaction score
Its the rod that will stop (sometimes) a fish running for weed the reel and within reason line strength wont come into it, unless you are fishing with a broomstick i doubt you could put 10lbs of pressure onto a line through the rod, i have found that sidestrain is more effective in stopping a running fish rather than having the rod high.

To test this thread 10lb line onto your rod tie the end to some thing solid (a fence will do) leave a decent distance between fence and rod and try to break the line with just pressure from your rod just don't go to mad or you could be buying a new rod :eek:

A 4000 size reel will be fine for barbel fishing unless you are cranking big feeders in on a powerful river like the Trent.

associatedmatt

Reaction score
I know exactly what you mean about rod and side strain works well to stop them in there tracks but for bigger carp fishing should I use the 10000 due to cranking power ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thecrow

Reaction score
I know exactly what you mean about rod and side strain works well to stop them in there tracks but for bigger carp fishing should I use the 10000 due to cranking power ?

Cranking power shouldnt come into the playing of a fish, it means it is being bullied to the net, line should be recovered on the down stroke of the rod being pumped so there is not a lot of pressure on the reel, bullying fish can result in damaged/lost fish, if you are fishing a largish water and need to cast say 70/80 yards or more the 10000's may allow you better casting as the line wont drop down the spool so quick as it will with a 4000 but other than that i see no difference in performance from any of the reels. Don't forget the margins though if the water is quiet the bank is the biggest feature on any water.

associatedmatt

Reaction score
That's a great point more for distance fishing , I fish the margins a lot if there deep enough , once weather warms up I need to get myself a marker rod set up to learn about exploring bottom of these pits to find fish holding areas and not casting into weed

thecount

Reaction score
Another thing to remember, it's not course fishing, it's coarse fishing (defined as - very rough or vulgar ;) )

thames mudlarker

Reaction score
As only been back fishing for a short while there are a few questions i would like to cleared up .

As in another thread planning to fish for tench , carp and barbel on 1.5lb rods but regarding reels , i have no problem using bait runners for feeder fishing small ones anyway . I have got 2x shimano DL 10000 and 1x shimano DL 4000

should i use the 10000's for barbel fishing as they can handle higher breaking strain line and more cranking power or should i use the 4000 ?

The 10000's will be ok fishing bigger carp on clear and weedy gravel pits for bigger carp further out ? Or are they too big for avon rods ?

what time of the year do barbel start showing up alot more as well ?

thanks all

10000 size reel is far to big for an Avon rod, the rod will be completely unbalanced and is unnecessary ;)

Best to stick with the 4000 size reel on the Avon rod if barbel are the main quarry :D

Barbel can be caught throughout the whole of the 9 months river season, if anything the winter can usually be better, providing yer fishing in the right conditions :thumbs:

associatedmatt

Reaction score
I haven't used my 10000's yet even on carp rods for some reason I keep using the 4000's . But I also like my diawa ninja reel but the line clip is a bit naff !

associatedmatt

Reaction score
Ha ha yes but isn't this thread a older one ?

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
Now where did 'The Count' come from? I must've missed him at the introduction stage, AND all of his 14 posts!

Still, obviously a good man as he is hot on the 'written' English. Let's hope his fishing prowess also stands the test of time!! (add a winky smillie here)

ps I'm also happy with the rough and vulgar bit as well, as my wife will confirm......................

Last edited:

thames mudlarker

Reaction score
Now where did 'The Count' come from? I must've missed him at the introduction stage, AND all of his 14 posts!

Still, obviously a good man as he is hot on the 'written' English. Let's hope his fishing prowess also stands the test of time!! (add a winky smillie here)

ps I'm also happy with the rough and vulgar bit as well, as my wife will confirm......................

Mmm......yea I was thinking along the same lines Tony :eek:mg:.....lols

All of 14 posts in 2 years :wh

associatedmatt

Reaction score
just to voice my view , some of us are not as good as other with spelling and punctuation . English was one of my weaker subjects at school and after leaving school i went to college to train to be a mechanic . But since then i do not write a great deal or proof read and such like . I just get by and im sure most know what i mean ?

I do not feel there was any need to pick holes in a little spelling mistake . If i see a spelling mistake i do not pick holes with it .

Sorry if this has rattled your cage just voicing my mind .

thanks

john step

Reaction score
just to voice my view , some of us are not as good as other with spelling and punctuation . English was one of my weaker subjects at school and after leaving school i went to college to train to be a mechanic . But since then i do not write a great deal or proof read and such like . I just get by and im sure most know what i mean ?

I do not feel there was any need to pick holes in a little spelling mistake . If i see a spelling mistake i do not pick holes with it .

Sorry if this has rattled your cage just voicing my mind .

thanks

I tend to agree as I have mellowed a bit. I used to get a bit irritated about these things but less so as time has elapsed. I have come to the opinion that it is better for people to have a say. I just bite my tongue so to speak as there are many things I am useless at. IT being one and catching big zander another:eek:mg::eek:mg::eek:mg:

associatedmatt

Reaction score
Spell checker on a iPhone ! Ha ha sometimes it changes words for you that you don't want changing .... It's beeping annoying .

---------- Post added at 14:01 ---------- Previous post was at 14:00 ----------

I tend to agree as I have mellowed a bit. I used to get a bit irritated about these things but less so as time has elapsed. I have come to the opinion that it is better for people to have a say. I just bite my tongue so to speak as there are many things I am useless at. IT being one and catching big zander another:eek:mg::eek:mg::eek:mg:

We can't be good at everything fishing and English and literacy is another ;)