Anglers Mail and Fishingmagic

D

Dave Johnson

I have not read the report, I only tend to read either of the two weeklies if someone drops a copy on my desk (cheers Jase)or my hero Barney Hayes is writing an article.
The amusing thing is how they both find they have to take a swipe and try to either undermine or ridicule other fishing communities. There is no reason why they cannot survive in harmony, but I think the average angler with a bit of common sense looks for editorials slightly above this 'mines better than yours'scenario.
Look at the the benefit CF gets through running a FM page........just check out where most of the letters etc come from.

R

Rodney Wrestt

All the contributers on this site are big names , amongst the many thousands of members and lurkers who browse the site.

P

peter webber

I'd say as have some others that I have found the internet fishing sites ( this one being No 1 ) to be much better then the mags overall.

I don't buy the mags every week like I used to as I find I don't need to as again as has been said before the reviews etc on here are much better then oin the mags as they are from anglers with no ties to the products they are talking about.

As some of you may know Graham has published some of my work on here and I think if I had sent it to the mags it would not of made it in print for what ever reason. For that I'd like to thank Graham.

I would rather come on here and find out what I want to know from you guys and girls knowing that not only will I get a repply, some time in mins but also that they are not resticted by the sponcers they are tied to in what I should use.

I still buy one or two monthlys but have really given up on the weeklys to the point I may only get one or two a month.

Pete

R

Roy Henwood

"hard to read in the loo" How about a laptop?

No I don't. Honest. Honest I don't.

C

Carp Angler

You could always print the forum threads off and take them with you to the little room......

C

Craig w

I used to buy a few monthlys but i can now find all the information on almost any subject on the internet on this site or other fishing sites.

I expect the printer weeklys etc lost alot of customers to the internet

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
I've had chance to read the piece now and I must say it isn't really a bad review, just uninformed.

Two things about it were significant. First was the comment that the reviewer had "glanced at (FISHINGmagic) once or twice over the past few years."

Second was his comment that the lack of big names would not attract lots of new hits.

If he had followed the progress of FM just a little more often he would have known that we have a rich and thriving community with a rapidly increasing registered membership and visitor count.

Upon knowing that he would also realise that FM's team of regular writers are producing extremely interesting, fresh features that are being keenly followed and obviously attracting many new visitors.

Unlike many websites that make extravagant claims about their 'hit rate' we can back up our claims because our figures are monitored by a third party much like ABC (Audit Bureau of Circulation) does for newspapers and magazines.

Whilst our figures are increasing rapidly, reference to ABC's figures show a very different picture for the angling weeklies.

But as I said, it wasn't a bad review, just uninformed.

J

John Pleasance

Had a look through the Mail today , I was surprised to see that the Ringwood club now control the Royalty Fishery .Have Christchurch Angling Club got fed up with it already then.

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
John, see this for more details:

<a href=http://www.fishingmagic.com/news/article.asp?SP=&v=1&UAN=849>Royalty</A>

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
Sorry John, I just realised you mean it's gone from CAC to Ringwood.

J

John Pleasance

Well it hasnt really Graham ,but the Mail has referred to Ringwood DAA's famous Royalty fishery.

C

Carp Angler

It certainly makes my RADAA permit seem excellent value for money.....

N

Neil Wayte

AreYou still up for a day in the Parlour Rik.They have opened more of the sluices so It will be pushing through a bit harder now.Just hope the carp are still in there.

C

Chris Bishop

A lack of big names means a refreshing lack of the advertising features for Fox, Shimano etc the weeklies run under the guise of instructional articles.

Both weeklies have a combined sale of barely 100,000 - Angling Times 60,487, Angler's Mail 41,028.

Only a tenth of us buy them if you go along with the million anglers figure.

I

Ian Whittaker

No big names?I reckon most names on this forum have a reality touch.Any question, anytime,anybody & everybody offers help, opinion ,advice & without seeking financial gain.
I just wish I knew how to get my mugshot on my postings!? Any takers?

C

Carp Angler

You could always follow the directions on the 'My Face' tab or alternatively mail your pic to Graham and he will sort it out.

Old Git

R

Ron Clay

How do you define a "big name" in angling?

It can't be the ability to catch fish?

I have met many anglers in my life who could outfish any of the big names, yet they have remained out of the public eye

Maybe it's the ability to write that makes an angler a "big name".

Or it could be the ability to pose.

I was speaking on the phone last night to one of specimen anglings most famous and respected names. He told me of the strokes a certain well known name pulled when he made a certain angling video, such as posing with a big pike that he hadn't caught!!

Makes you wonder how some of the big names got there doesn't it?

P

Paul Williams

I KNOW how some of the big names got there Ron......deciept!!!!!!!!!!!!!.......some of them would have been better off as politicians ;o)