Anglers rubbish

steve2

Reaction score
Yesterday I took a walk round a local country park when I reached one of the lakes where fishing allowed I was met by the biggest pile of rubbish I have seen on a fishing lake. There were at least 20 beer cans spread across the two swims, plus food and take away wrappers.

Before anyone says it might not be angler’s waste there were also bait bags, wrapping from tackle and baited rigs hanging from trees. I spoke to one of the rangers about it and for once I agreed with what he said when he spoke about banning fishing.

They are also having trouble with anglers fishing the no fishing conservation lakes and are cutting down bushes to block anglers from sneaking onto these lakes at night.
There is a no night fishing allowed on any of the fishing lakes but the carp anglers take no notice of that.

If fishing here is banned we only have ourselves to blame.

mikench

Reaction score
I think on all my club waters the rule is if you see litter you pick it up and take it away even if it isn't yours. Seems unfair to me that the perpetrator should get away with it but litter should be removed. The can of corned beef I referred to was on at least 2 occasions and on both there was still meat in the tin. One was in the margins and the other in a bush. In either case an animal or fish could have been injured.

Last edited:

rayner

Reaction score
It's a thing that as plagued fisheries for years. No different than those who trash our beaches, any other beauty spots get the same treatment.
We will never get away from the vermin who infest all parts of our Country.
Strange though that no one admits dropping litter with so many doing it.

mikench

Reaction score
It’s the one thing I do as a” good” citizen ie pick up litter. I’ve said it before but if 30 million people picked up 2 bits of litter a day that would be 210 million a week and billions annually. In doing so those who continued would / could be shamed into taking their litter home.

john step

Reaction score
The problem is that any old scum can go fishing and they are called anglers just as the rest of us are. If these same people were somewhere different, say getting drunk and throwing rubbish about outside a football match they would be called soccer thugs no doubt.

I picked up an overflowing bucket of beer cans on the Witham last week. Its everywhere.

Steve, just a guess. Yes or no. Was it Weald Park?

sam vimes

Reaction score
In my experience, anywhere that's relatively inexpensive, or free, needs to be heavily policed to stand a chance of there being minimal litter. The alternatives are waters that are off the beaten track, not particularly good or expensive/exclusive enough to stop most fishing them. These are the type of waters I tend to frequent. Sadly, there is still a tiny minority that will leave litter. It's just a sad reflection of wider society.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
I think on all my club waters the rule is if you see litter you pick it up and take it away even if it isn't yours. Seems unfair to me that the perpetrator should get away with it but litter should be removed. The can of corned beef I referred two was on at least 2 occasions and on both there was still meat in the tin. One was in the margins and the other in a bush. In either case an animal or fish could have been injured.
Mike WAA have a rule if it's in your peg, it is your litter, Grey Mist has a no tins rule, trouble is local members of the public walk round it, so any litter/tins in/near your peg is yours, you could be fishing, someone walks past,drops litter without you knowing, and bailiff if he comes thinks it's yours.
When I ran the matches for Lymm ,any litter in peg and angler would not be weighed in until it was removed. When I was a bailiff, any litter they were asked to pick it up.refusal meant a marked card and told to pack up. Only happened once, word got round we did zero tolerance.

mikench

Reaction score
As do PAAS and Bay Maiton and they all have, and rightly so, a no tin rule. As someone who takes very little varieties of bait,I have a plastic version of spam just in case. :rolleyes:

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
One of my clubs has had a no tins rules for years.

I simply decant from the tins into large Ziplok bags and pack those in my bait cooler bag. At the end of the session I hen use the plastic bags for any litter, food wrappings or other rubbish I've used in the day and that gets taken home.

I mean, how bloody difficult it that?

Bluenose

Reaction score
It's a societal problem. As Rayner pointed out further up, beaches, parks, lakes, nowhere is spared.
We had public information films in the 70s. Kids are taught in school in no uncertain terms, and in the main, as younger children, they buy into it.
As an angler if you get caught littering, you're risking being potentially banned from your club, named and shamed. Yet still, some people do it.
How to prevent it? I have no idea. Some human beings are just weird.

That said, one only has to look at the example shown by successive UK governments and their willingness to allow pollution to occur, and reluctance to seriously punish offenders. Sadly, the natural environment is no more than a commodity and is simply not a priority in our country.

steve2

Reaction score
The problem is that any old scum can go fishing and they are called anglers just as the rest of us are. If these same people were somewhere different, say getting drunk and throwing rubbish about outside a football match they would be called soccer thugs no doubt.

I picked up an overflowing bucket of beer cans on the Witham last week. Its everywhere.

Steve, just a guess. Yes or no. Was it Weald Park?
Weald park is where the carp anglers were smoking weed the other day. The lake at the Weald is now restricted on fishing swims and
plenty of cormorants roosting in the trees. Not what it was when I first fished it 60 years ago.
This was at Belhus Woods the conservation lakes from what I have seen do hold big fish.

Reaction score
Yesterday I took a walk round a local country park when I reached one of the lakes where fishing allowed I was met by the biggest pile of rubbish I have seen on a fishing lake. There were at least 20 beer cans spread across the two swims, plus food and take away wrappers.

Before anyone says it might not be angler’s waste there were also bait bags, wrapping from tackle and baited rigs hanging from trees. I spoke to one of the rangers about it and for once I agreed with what he said when he spoke about banning fishing.

They are also having trouble with anglers fishing the no fishing conservation lakes and are cutting down bushes to block anglers from sneaking onto these lakes at night.
There is a no night fishing allowed on any of the fishing lakes but the carp anglers take no notice of that.

If fishing here is banned we only have ourselves to blame.

Sadly Steve,no,we have these morons to blame,not ourselves,if you find litter in my swim after i've gone it is because I didn't see where the dirty bastard before me had left it,i've a!ways liked to think my swim is good to go for the next person to drop into,clean of filth.... After I finished fishing tuesday I netted two rusty tins from around three feet of water,don't think an angler had left them,I believe some scumbag had sat swigging ale in the village upstream and slung it in when empty,like scumbags do....

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Like everyone, I have come across blatant misuse of waterways. I don't think it is many but a few can make it look like many. One that has surprised me is a farmers land, there is a fence to keep the sheep out of the river which you can remove and lay flat while your fishing but must be put back. I have seen it left down and with accompanying beer cans, rubbish and hook packets. Its been rare but I have cleaned up after them just to stop the farmer finding it and banning all angling. These people do it deliberately, maybe they caught no fish or just take a perverse satisfaction out of doing it. whatever it is-it is just such a bad thing.

john step

Reaction score
Weald park is where the carp anglers were smoking weed the other day. The lake at the Weald is now restricted on fishing swims and
plenty of cormorants roosting in the trees. Not what it was when I first fished it 60 years ago.
This was at Belhus Woods the conservation lakes from what I have seen do hold big fish.
I rather suspect out paths crossed sometime in those times past. I lived next to the Chase and often fished at Ockendon.

The Chase ( now Bardag) is far cleaner and litter free than all those years ago when I had a nostalgic walk around a year or two ago.
We use to swim in it in the close season and when admitting this to my parents when an adult my father said he did the same in the 20s!
Good God. I've just realised that's 100 years ago!