Anglers rubbish

Molehill

Reaction score
As above, it is society and won't be stopped. Unfortunately it is no surprise now to be met be litter; on the street, beside the road, on top of mountains, in parks and where we fish. Clubs can only try and keep a lid on the problem, but the bigger the club the harder it is to police - to near impossible.
Until such time as individuals take responsibility for their behavior, which includes dumping litter, there will be no change. Unfortunately anglers are simply a cross section of society and some litter with the best of them.

terry m

Reaction score
The rule that ‘if it’s in your swim it’s your responsibility’ may seem unfair, but in my experience it works.

Whilst of course discarded tins and bottles are very bad, i also get pi$$ed off with anglers who think used tea bags and dog ends are OK to toss away. Those morons are unlikely to flick tea bags around their garden so why at the waterside?

Reaction score
I agree Terry,the only plus side with tea bags is they are bio-degradable,but leaving them all around a swim is terrible,doesn't hurt to put em in a bait box and put em in your compost....

theartist

Reaction score
Anyone seen the amount of disposable PPE masks there are everywhere on the ground in bushes, go for a walk and it's easily one a mile on in any direction round here, not to mention every single lay by, there's loads. We deserve to rot in our own bacterial hell, we made it, yet I bet some of the same dumb ****ers that drop all this rubbish still moan about covid etc

I love the line "Well it's someone's job to pick it up" You may as well just wear a dunces cap as soon as those words are said

mikench

Reaction score
They are the new fag packet, gum or burger carton in the litter league only worse as they could be infected with a deadly virus. If you left poison on the streets you would go to prison.

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I agree Terry,the only plus side with tea bags is they are bio-degradable,but leaving them all around a swim is terrible,doesn't hurt to put em in a bait box and put em in your compost....

wrong mate, tea bags are not bio degradable and will not compost. There is some kind of plastic in them bags, stops the bag falling apart in your cuppa.

john step

Reaction score
I dont think thats true of tea bags in general. I read that it used to be the case but nowadays there is plastic in the bag. I think this is true as I put all my tea bags in my compost or wormery and am continually picking out the fine webbing that has not rotted when putting on the garden.

It may be because I use cheap old Tesco standard bags and more upmarket tea may have paper only bags?

chevin4

Reaction score
Of course letter loses fishing as does so called "guesting". One of the clubs lost its fishing rights on the Upper Gt Ouse as some of it's so called member selfishly fished a an area which the land owner clearly stated was out of bounds. That and litter was the final straw. The club response was dont you need the money the owner who subsequently became a friend response was sinscinct "I dont need the money and I certainly dont need the hassle".

Windy

Reaction score
Thank God, PG tips teabags are plastic free and completely biodegradable... Other teas are no doubt available, but I was brought up on PG and 60 years on it's too late for me to contemplate change. I may flirt with Assam, Oolong or Jasmine with Chinese food, but for everyday its got to be PG.

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
One of my clubs has had a no tins rules for years.

I simply decant from the tins into large Ziplok bags and pack those in my bait cooler bag. At the end of the session I hen use the plastic bags for any litter, food wrappings or other rubbish I've used in the day and that gets taken home.

I mean, how bloody difficult it that?
Several of the local clubs including CAC and RDAA had this rule for at least 20 years but they quietly dropped it a few years ago. I only realised when I rejoined CAC and found tins in evidence and queried it to find no rule any more. I carry one of those charity plastic bags that come through the door every week to take litter with me if possible, especially on the urban pond near my home which has access to the public.

rich66

Reaction score
My club water have had a bloom in rubbish left behind until recently you never saw litter, I do wonder if it’s some of the new members we’ve had this year.
But I always try to take back more than I go with.
I do even consider taking a hand brush to sweep loose groundbait off the slabs on the pegs, but the moorhens etc seem to be very effective at clearing anything food wise left behind.

steve2

Reaction score
I have said before my clubs have rule that any rubbish in your swim is your rubbish. Your membership number is taken by the bailiff and if it is still there after you have left you get banned. Public waters are just that open to every one and lockdown as brought out the worst in people with regard to rubbish.

dorsetsteve

Reaction score
Sadly it’s an international problem with humanity, some places are better and some places are worse than us but you will find litter in the most remote wild places.
For us as anglers, those places that are free seem to attract those with no consideration, I wonder how many even have permits... there is also a massive disparity between city and country people here on this as well in my opinion. Take a wonder around any large city and you will find yourself disgusted by the litter and filth.

rayner

Reaction score
We have always had this problem, highlighting it on this forum whilst it gets it off our chest it will do nothing to convince anyone to change their ways.
The world is full of vermin with a smattering of people that really care. Why this is I have no idea, will it change, I doubt it will.

seth49

Reaction score
That’s one of the things I like about the two clubs I’m in, both are members only, no day tickets, with one allowing a guest ticket, the member who gets the guest ticket is responsible for their guest, the waters are all clean with no litter at all, the new club I joined this year especially so, and with locked gates and no public access, it’s immaculate, it’s a credit too the club and it’s members, it’s no wonder their’s a long waiting list to join.