angling trust statement

Reaction score
An AK47 to fight the police hoardes off.

sam vimes

Reaction score
anglers are going to have to be very careful ad to how far they travel and what they take with them . .

Well, if they live in Derbyshire at least. Personally, I'm waiting for the inevitable clarification to arrive and get through the densest of copper's skull. I actually feel a little sorry for Derbyshire Constabulary, they are being hung out to dry, again. They may well have gone over the top, again. However, that's what happens with wishy washy laws/guidlines/rules. People say that we should all apply common sense. Which is fine, but each individual's idea of a common sense distance away from home will differ. That's no basis to police anyone or anything. It's not fair on the police and it's not fair on the population. Either put a figure on it or ban leaving home in a car for any type of recreation or exercise.

As it stands, it's akin to having no set speed limits on our roads. People should just apply "common sense", but the police could knick you for any speed they like on any given day. I find it difficult to believe that anyone would argue that would be a sensible way to go.

Reaction score
Blokes on this club forum say that each individual should be bright enough to decipher the restrictions themselves,trouble is the poor policeman has to sing off of the same hymn sheet....

Philip

Reaction score
Where I am it was very clear during full lockdown....excercise had to be within a 1km radius of were you live.

I think you have to put a specific number on it for the public and then let the police -hopefully- apply common sense if they catch someone a little outside the limit.

ian g

Reaction score
I agree Philip , either set a clear limit or a total stop . It's not just fishing I live out in the sticks and there are loads of cars parked around here , bird watchers dog walkers and ramblers . Plenty of moaning on our local facebook but if you don't get set rules , people seem to push their luck

Aknib

Reaction score
There was a guy on the news today saying that too many shops were open, I feel hypocritical in agreeing with him as I myself did a last sortie to B&Q before first light this morning and before what I expect will be a tighter lockdown to come.

Were dust sheets, a pack of wallpaper paste, a litre of gloss and three rolls of masking tape essential?

Absolutely not, I even contemplated a favourite of mine in the form of a latte on the way home but decided that was really taking the piss.

I think some of these 'choices' need removing but then that's very simplistic, I've argued before that without an economy of some sort and which these places are contributing to we're probably in for a rougher ride than the virus itself.

I recall the reports coming from Wuhan when all this kicked off and the Chinese citizens were practically stripped of their basic civil liberties with signed forms being required to leave home for shopping and here's me nipping out for some decorating supplies.

I kind of disagree with such strong measures but can't help feeling they're what's needed to get some control over this damned thing.

John Aston

Reaction score
Of course it would be nonsense to have a hard limit - why on earth should 5miles be ok and 5.2 miles a heinous crime ? It's not the travel, nor the coffee (FFS Derbyshire police ) that is an issue, it is the proximity to other people . How far you travel , within reason , is a red herring - the government guidance to the regs is clear in that it refers to travel being permissible to exercise in one's local area. It simply doesn't matter that we all have slightly different views of what that means to the last yard , as we all share a broad general understanding of what local means, unless we try very hard to be obtuse . That doesn't make it easy to enforce, but why focus on punishment , for harmless activity ? By all means fine those having large gatherings , refusing to wear masks in shops and , in the case of anti vaxx nut jobs , abusing doctors , but for having a safe , distanced walk in the country a short drive from home ? Utter nonsense, unless North Korea is a role model.

Molehill

Reaction score
It is at least clear in Wales - no travel by car (other than justified). Very frustrating but at least we know where we stand and there is no room for debate. Of course it is even more frustrating looking across the border and reading all the debates on what constitutes "local" and who can do what.
England has more freedom but I am fairly phelgmatic that we have no room for debate, accept it and hunker down.
But still car loads arrive at Welsh beauty spots from all over England (and Wales) to climb snowy mountains, if I was a copper I would be handing out FPNs like confetti, long run out of patience.

rubio

Reaction score
I'm very relieved to be able to leave the house each day. I nearly always do fishing or no. It wards off total insanity just about.
It seems obvious to trust others to be sensible for themselves and to be thoroughly cautious when having anything to do with them. This is gonna be a long haul. We will need to be restrained in our supposition as to what others should be doing. No one knows their circumstances in almost every instance.
I have been more cautious than most guidelines could allow but I recognize many have to be on a bus to get to work and back. I'm lucky i don't have to right now.
I'll feel bolder after vaccination but no one should expect that to be a superhero shield. It helps a lot but it ain't no guarantee of nothing. Once we have "all" had the jab then the odds shift heavily.
Much of the current surge of cases is related to community transfer of active virus in schools since September. It is in these "safe" areas that school staff are all 333 times more at risk now. 20-40 year olds the fastest rising group. Etc. Etc.
What seems evident to me is that we haven't done a real lockdown yet. Where they have the total deaths are in fact lower than our present daily loss. I believe tighter lockdown is coming. Even if vaccination gets near the target. It won't of course.

Reaction score
At the moment I believe the virus is one step ahead,not just here,but worldwide,we don't hear how many have died across the globe,by the time we have vaccinated the people who need it,it will be time to start again....

no-one in particular

Reaction score
I think I read one lady had travelled 7 miles and the other 10 miles, to visit a park or something, bloody ridiculous if you ask me and they are having a go to at the police for it; I am glad they are taking this seriously and punishing people for being so ridiculous. I don't own a car so it is not a problem for me to worry about what is local, it's as far as I can walk. If its about exercise then that's all I need to know. I am lucky though or not luck, I chose to live within easy walking distance of every amenity, supermarkets, fishing, theater, cinema, bus/train station, sports center etc., all within walking distance, that does not apply to everyone and they have to use a car but for exercise I cant see why local cannot mean walking distance from home.

I read in one paper yesterday the Pfizer vaccine is good for at least two of the other strains going about, I hope this proves the case for all of them. One point for the vaccines for me is even if they only work for 6 months or whatever and they if they are only x% efficient it will stop the spread and bring the R rate right down and not withstanding a new virulent strain will keep it there forever if not make it disappear forever. It has worked with small pox vaccinations which is also a virus and what with the vaccines will keep getting better it is possible.

Last edited:

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
I know what local means to me and I've no plans to test the Rozzers interpretation of what they think is local. I dont think you can put a figure on it though Hillingdon council ( who own at least one of my local club's waters) has said you need to be a Hillingdon resident to fish there.....and be able to prove it. Its a laudable ( and imo reasonable) attempt to set some boundaries for those idiots determined not to follow the rules even if some parts of the LB of Hillingdon are much further away from these waters than I am in South Bucks. Not that I'd want to fish them this time of year....I'd stand as good a chance of a bite fishing the street outside my house.

Reaction score
I have now removed myself from the club forum over the statement,as one particular individual seems to think that it is up to the individual member to decide,not the club,and was a tad insulting to people who didn't quite see it in the same vein,stating that the club doesn't have to hold our hands,odd that,with the amount of rules in the book,closing waters as and when,clubs have a responsibility for their members,that is safety,fish care and behaviour related. Personally I don't think angling will be looked at favourably by the general public by going fishing at present,when everyone else is supposed to stay at home and act responsibly,that comes from someone who desperately wants to park his bum at the riverside....

Last edited:

no-one in particular

Reaction score
In my mind I just take it a week at a time, doesn't seem so bad that way. See were we are next Sunday and so on, I can handle a week without fishing and staying in doors as much as possible, I know it is likely to be a lot longer but it is a case of mind over matter.
I think the point about how the general public will perceive us is a point, not all of them will realize it is legal and even those that do will resent it. My mate pointed out to me how the golfers are kicking up now, an article he read in some paper about anglers but it also said how golf are using it as an argument. It was going to happen, it will be the outdoor fiddly wink brigade next.

Last edited:

Rod McG

Reaction score
I'm really happy fishing is allowed, a welcome activity after working 60 hour weeks from the first outbreak.

I work in a care home that has had this new strain rip through both residents and workers in the last month....after being Covid free from the start. Only 5 of 60 workers havent contracted the virus or had to self isolate, and only 3 of 25 residents.

I've had both vaccine shots as a result of the early roll out to care workers. Most colleagues had the first shot 3 weeks ago but many still contracted Covid before the immunity had chance to work.

I can fish on a lake 2 minutes walk from my flat or a canal 2 miles drive.
The lake is part frozen so perhaps the canal is an option.

Reaction score
I feel your need,but think of others doing similar jobs who cannot access waters so close,also,canal towpaths are the least likely place I would want to fish at present,due to narrow paths that get busy post covid...

John Aston

Reaction score
Markg - Why is it ridiculous to travel 7mils for distanced outdoor exercise? The car journey presents no risk of passing infection and the choice of somewhere a short drive away may well offer a far safer , less busy environment in which to exercise . What distance would you feel was OK ?

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Markg - Why is it ridiculous to travel 7mils for distanced outdoor exercise? The car journey presents no risk of passing infection and the choice of somewhere a short drive away may well offer a far safer , less busy environment in which to exercise . What distance would you feel was OK ?
I am not going to argue the point about a car journey representing no risk again, everyone disagreed with me so that's fine. I just cannot imagine why anyone would need to travel 7 miles to exercise in a safe environment, or at least it would be very exceptional in my opinion. Country folk should not have a problem finding a bit of open space or a quiet lane to walk down, I cannot imagine even town folk don't have plenty of parks, quiet back roads or places just outside of town either that are a lot less than 7 miles away from where they live. it just takes a bit of imagination. I live in a town population about 60000 I think and I live not far from the center of it and I can find plenty of places within walking distance that are quiet and that does not include the sea front. I would have to be pretty dumb to think the only option was to drive 7 miles, It wouldn't be an essential journey.

Last edited:

sam vimes

Reaction score
For me, it's not a question of what is, or isn't, a safe distance. I don't really believe going fishing within walking distance is any safer than going fishing many miles away. All I want to know is how I can guarantee not falling foul of any random copper that may be encountered. I know what I consider to be local, and I've only fished further than ten miles from home twice in at least a year. The vast majority of my fishing happens well inside five miles from home. I consider that local, but what I think is irrelevant, I'm not the one that will be dishing out fines. My local supermarket is further away than my fishing spots. I just can't understand what's so difficult about putting some kind of limit on allowable distance. At this point in time, I don't even care if it's zero travel by car. At least I'll know how to avoid a fine.