angling trust statement

John Aston

Reaction score
It is nothing to with 'putting fishing before a virus', but a sensible way of balancing personal liberty with our duty to others . The Trust has merely clarified that , as part of permitted exercise , people may choose to fish . It's not an instruction , but a concession , and there really is no need to be abusive to others about the clarification the government has made - not the Trust , incidentally , who do not have the power to make the rules.

Obviously , for many reasons , some anglers may elect not to exercise the choice they now have , and we should respect their decision , as they should respect my intention to carry out a lawful activity . For some of us fortunate enough to be near a water, it is a welcome consent to do something that , with forethought and common sense , presents no risk whatsoever to the angler or to others. In my case, the practical effect will be that I will hardly see a soul , if anyone , unlike the reasonable number one encounters on local walks.

Several fellow anglers are essential workers , whose work I admire and respect , and I am sure they will especially welcome the break.

theartist

Reaction score
Golfers have lobbied parliament, including some famous names, apparently they have over 100,000 on the petition so it will be discussed in parliament. Some parallels there with angling although I'm surprised the AT got the go ahead so quickly.

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
I wasn’t going to respond to this move by the AT but I for I am totally disgusted by their attitude and anglers response to this virus and shall never again join the AT. I have no wish to remain a member on a website where people don’t give a damn about others just their own selfish self centered attitude.

I have now lost 2 people to this virus and have others with it, this is not a joke virus it is a killer. Hopefully those putting hook a fish ahead of their health will catch it.

You never answered my question on how going fishing on your own to a virtually deserted place would be more likely to give you the virus than going about your normal business.

I don’t understand either why you conflate going fishing with passing on or contracting a virus and I suspect neither do you.

Best of health old chap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pikerwoods

Reaction score
I'm made up I can go fishing as I need a few hours out of house away from shopping as I look after my wife who hasn't been out much in 2020. I gave plenty of natural fishing within 10 miles and easy to self isolate. I suffer with depression and being stuck in has a big effect on me. I'm not going out all day just a few hours. So happy we can go out.

seth49

Reaction score
From Facebook.
Police enforcement are saying no more than five miles travel to fishing, if that true I’ve only one option open to me if I wanted to fish, which at the moment I don’t.

mikench

Reaction score
What a joke this debate is. Fishing is not going to endanger lives. It's a solitary activity carried out in isolation and in isolated locations. If you don't want to go don't. I saw a glimpse of the latest news conference with a carper from the army wittering on about vaccine distribution. Who would turn up for a Covid news conference in camo gear? The UK is a shambles. Brigadier Tosser I think was his name.

Reaction score
Five miles gives me no option,so is hardly worth allowing imo...

TreborM

Reaction score
What a joke this debate is. Fishing is not going to endanger lives. It's a solitary activity carried out in isolation and in isolated locations. If you don't want to go don't. I saw a glimpse of the latest news conference with a carper from the army wittering on about vaccine distribution. Who would turn up for a Covid news conference in camo gear? The UK is a shambles. Brigadier Tosser I think was his name.

Your right mate it is a joke and a shambles, a minority of idiots putting others in danger and I ain’t talking politicions. reading some of your stuff seems like your on holiday in a hot country, nice for some, stay where you are ?

itsfishingnotcatching

Reaction score
It's about time we put fishing into perspective in relation to this pandemic, I fish alone, usually on stretches of river where there are no other anglers (given the "local" directive, this may mean moving to canals, we've got plenty!). People pontificating about the dangers of travelling in my car. buying bait, passing other people and breathing in air which may have been infected by someone over the channel are obviously living in a very different world than I am. I work in all areas of the country, I work in most environments, shops, factories, offices, building sites and may drive in excess of 300 miles a day for this. My wife is a teaching assistant in a nursery (they're still open!) and my five year old Granddaughter who lives at home, is still at school as her Mother is a key worker. Please don't tell me fishing is dangerous!

p.s.
I'm type two diabetic, have high blood pressure and bad circulation. Covid-19 can take it's place in the queue

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
Wont make any difference to me. I still cannot be bothered and I am that close to getting my "shot" that I dont intend to do anything or go anywhere that might present the slightest risk......but I do take your point,Ian.

I guess each of us has to decide what is best for us and as I have never,ever been that obsessive about me fishing its a no brainer for me. I can wait until spring.

itsfishingnotcatching

Reaction score
Wont make any difference to me. I still cannot be bothered and I am that close to getting my "shot" that I dont intend to do anything or go anywhere that might present the slightest risk......but I do take your point,Ian.

I guess each of us has to decide what is best for us and as I have never,ever been that obsessive about me fishing its a no brainer for me. I can wait until spring.
TBF S-Kip, I've not fished since the last "Fish-in" at Boddington, slippy banks, flooded rivers and bad weather have resulted in my absence from the banks, I think we must all try to be as safe as possible. If the weather changes, I'll probably give my dead maggots an outing though,

stevejay

Reaction score
For the same reasons as many on here, I don't agree with the AT lobbying to get the rules changes, and probably won't be going fishing myself for some time. However, my interpretation of the restrictions is a bit different to some mentioned, and I have no idea where the 5 mile radius mentioned above has come from.

I read it that:
If you need to travel you should stay local – meaning avoiding travelling outside of your village, town or the part of a city where you live - fairly clear, however, as the statement goes on to say

outdoor exercise. This should be done locally wherever possible, but you can travel a short distance within your area to do so if necessary (for example, to access an open space)

Surely the "but you can travel a short distance" permits travel beyond the local area, otherwise that sentence makes no sense. If so "a short distance within your area" is what needs clarity.

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
TBF S-Kip, I've not fished since the last "Fish-in" at Boddington, slippy banks, flooded rivers and bad weather have resulted in my absence from the banks, I think we must all try to be as safe as possible. If the weather changes, I'll probably give my dead maggots an outing though,

Boddington was enough to put anyone off, lol.

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
13e299561ff755950f72becee38c7a71.jpg

mikench

Reaction score
A soldier?

To be fair Mike I'd be much more inclined to put my faith in someone dressed accordingly like that than those wearing sharp suits :)

Maybe Steve but he's delivering vaccines not defending a military outpost against the Taliban in the Hindu Kush. An army uniform maybe but not camo.

John Aston

Reaction score
The 'five mile limit' is mentioned from Facebook as being from 'police enforcement'. I don't know what that means . I would be amazed if there is a strict limit of any radius enforced as such rules tend to produce silly anomalies . As has been said above , if you read the AT guidance (which isn't changing the rules at all , BTW , but clarifying what they mean ) you need then to look at the government guidance on the taking exercise exemption. This provides that exercise should be local wherever possible but goes on to say that travel for a 'short distance in the area (eg to an open space)' is permissible.

There will never be a hard and fast rule , but we all have common sense and should apply it in arriving at the decision on whether to fish at all (it is a minority sport in winter) and , if we do want to fish , how far we feel comfortable in travelling in the area, and justifying our judgement if required. There is no legal definition of either 'local' or ' area' which helps - which is only to be expected as context is all. My local authority's area is over 70 miles square , but I am certainly not arguing I can fish anywhere in that area !

When the weather improves I will be chasing some chub which live 10-15 minutes drive away , but not the grayling which are 35minutes drive ; I am comfortable with that .

Last edited by a moderator: