Articles on Fishing Magic

steve2

Reaction score
Mentioning carbon was the reason I was banned from that site. Basically I said that although I use cane it wasn't as good as carbon.

Kirsty Hewitt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I often search for specific old rods by name and/or product codes. FM posts regularly pop up in these searches. Unfortunately, they are often useless as they are simply posts with defunct links to ebay items posted over ten years ago.

The following link is a search for a Daiwa rod product code (Daiwa Connoisseur-Z Power Special CN-ZM130AP, for anyone interested). Five of the top six results are for different UK angling forums.
https://www.google.co.uk/search this is the FM post thrown up by the search. https://fishingmagic.com/forums/thread

I sometimes wonder whether information about older (pre or early internet days) might not be of interest to some. I know that catalogue information, specifications and original prices certainly interest me, especially older catalogues that still extant manufacturers have no interest in releasing as a PDF as they do with current/recent catalogues. I know it would bore many stupid, but such stuff usually generates some interest. It would certainly be a resource that can't easily be found anywhere.
Hi Sam,

We have quite a few old catalogues at Thomas Turner. If there's something specific you're interested I'm sure we could look it up for you.
We've been thinking about putting some of this catalogue material online but haven't got around to it yet, it's quite a big job to make it searchable, but perhaps worth doing!
These are the ones we have listed at the moment (mostly quite old) but we do have some others that we use as reference material, not for sale, so we might have something that could help.
https://www.thomasturner.com/?s=catalogue&post_type=product&dgwt_wcas=1

Kirsty

Kirsty Hewitt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Many sites now have a donation option, usually paypal. But forums are only as good as the contributors and that includes staff and members.

There's been many a good article by members that could have been used by admin as an article if they bother to ask the members posting, or bothered to look. When I wander through the forums on here I have always got the feeling this one is below on priorities than the Fly and Salmon forums under the Fishing Magic Banner, certainly Kirsty's posts are far more frequent on the Fly forum and she only pops up here where there's an issue it seems, sorry if that's a bit harsh Kirsty but it's how it looks.

The layout of this forum is good it just needs better content, the Bailey/Coster articles are a good idea but there needs to be more, think of a magazine with just two writers and an editor that's fleeting in their appearances, it wouldn't have got off the ground even in the heyday of the printed press.

There is an RSS feed on the fly and salmon forums that posts press releases etc under my name automatically. It's not me doing it so don't read anything into that regarding priorities, my time is spread very thinly I'm afraid so it's simply a lack of time rather than 'not bothering'.

theartist

Reaction score
There is an RSS feed on the fly and salmon forums that posts press releases etc under my name automatically. It's not me doing it so don't read anything into that regarding priorities, my time is spread very thinly I'm afraid so it's simply a lack of time rather than 'not bothering'.
Thanks for the response Kirsty but I feel therein lies the problem, how can you expect any website to compete nowadays without a regular hand on the tiller or at least a dedicated one that has the time available that it needs?

steve2

Reaction score
With a family, a job and another baby on the way I am surprise you find any spare time to work on this forum.

Kirsty Hewitt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks again for all of your responses to this thread. It is clear that the professional writers' content is not what the majority of members want so this will cease from the end of March. It's sad that it hasn't worked out as we had hoped, but we are happy that we have been able to publish some really great content, and would like to thank all of the talented writers we have worked with. We will continue to work with them on occasion through our fishing tackle site Thomas Turner, so do have a look at the blog and article sections there from time to time if you are interested.

Kirsty

nottskev

Reaction score
I'd like to see Dave Coster's articles continue where possible. They're packed with information on versatile and inventive approaches, and he fishes places we could all fish, if we wanted to, on day tickets or affordable club cards.

john step

Reaction score
I agree with Kev. Dave Coster's articles are very good. The methods and tackle described are very adaptable to many venues . They are very versatile and inventive and instructive to those of us who actually get out and fish in the colder months.

Philip

Reaction score
Sorry to hear the articles have not worked out however I think all of them would be very welcome on the open forum if they ever wanted to dip in. I have noticed Dave Coster in particular has posted on the open forum from time to time and hopefully sees we are not such a bad bunch and it can be very interesting to join in on occasion.

PS congrats on the new baby Kirsty....how about a FM guess the weight competition ?

PPS I'll go for 7lb 6oz which also happens to be the weight of a previous record Chub..I am sure you will be interested to know ??

Last edited:

Reaction score
I have enjoyed reading the articles Kirsty,I take John Bailey's leaving post very odd,as I have to agree to no man(or woman),and some of his articles were quite contentious imo and as this is a forum John was there to be shot at,as we all are and have been,as has been mentioned as it stands new members are usually found by guesting in,then wanting to contribute,becoming a member,how new members would be harvested without the guesting part I cannot imagine,I would possibly be prepared to contribute,but wonder how many others would as some members rarely post,I don't envy the puzzle...

As for slagging off other forms or people on them,I left one because people there were doing just that,something I didn't agree with as a matter of principle,even if I might agree,but it is something I believe should be either said out in the open,or not at all...

Last edited:

Reaction score
Best wishes for your birthing Kirsty(for want of a better term).

Reaction score
John Bailey's writing style is a little more eccentric,but during his time on FM has been a tad combative on subjects like the Wye problems(it's fine to show you care),Dave however covers mainly angling methods and venues,which are less likely to bring a violently opposing opinion which often brings in good chat,however we live in sad times,this may well be another notch in the bedpost for angling forums...

Last edited:

john step

Reaction score
John Bailey's writing style is a little more eccentric,but during his time on FM has been a tad combative on subjects like the Wye problems(it's fine to show you care),Dave however covers mainly angling methods and venues,which are less likely to bring a violently opposing opinion which often brings in good chat,however we live in sad times,this may well be another notch in the bedpost for angling forums...
I cant remember JBs articles being too overboard. ( I cant think of the correct word). He has been passionate about a couple of issues. In his last article it seems he feels some have been rude. I dont remember any of that on FM just a disagreement or two maybe. Nothing to be hurt about.
He is definitely more flowery than DC. Artistic leanings maybe.

mikench

Reaction score
I dont think there were either. I dont recall any comments that were rude or aggressive. Its a shame that he didn’t once respond to any posts we made.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reaction score
When people brought opinions about other rivers than the Wye which he had decided to move to it wasn't appreciated,even on his leaving article he stated people picked at his articles,what are we supposed to do,on a forum,Peter disagreed with John a few times,sorry,but if we are supposed to pander to articles,they shouldn't be on a forum....John's comments weren't overboard,but they left an opening for an opposing opinion,which he didn't like and as I said a forum operates on disagreeing with comments,I read all the articles,some were of interest to me,some not,Dave's are more interesting to me(especially with his writing style),the gentleman who writes on lure fishing(Northman is it)I wouldn't know because lure fishing doesn't take up much of my fishing time,obviously it does in many others so is of great interest,horses for courses and all that....?

Last edited:

theartist

Reaction score
He does mention in the first paragraph of the final post that people have been abusive, quite a strong word so there must be justification for a comment like that. Is it a parting shot? maybe that's too strong a phrase but I see no harm in dishing it back to someone if you get it.

Not sure what was said as didn't read all his articles or the comments that followed and it's a shame whoever it was couldn't sit in a pub and they could have a beer with each other, that's the trouble with forums some times things are said that sound far worse than they are actually meant to be and would be laughed off in person.

Reaction score
As is the case with many people,they do not have the bottle to name names,some have the other attitude and are hyper aggressive,on FM we disagree on a plethora of subjects,so if we don't think something is correct,politically or otherwise there is usually someone prepared to vent their spleen,I read John's articles,I don't recall anyone being abusive,unless you are extremely thin skinned and don't like being questioned,on that basis,most people would have left,never to have returned many years ago...

flightliner

Reaction score
I read both writers contributions and if I remember correctly any reply I made was maybe twice to each of them.
JBs initial ones on his Wensom Quest was interesting but when he moved over to the wey I only read the occasional piece, all well written they certainly were but never having fished the river I found other threads more absorbing.
DC tho I enjoyed, mainly because of my early match angling career on many of the waters he now uses, the Trent, Witham, Welland, fen drains, Fossdyke,and Nene amongst many where I enjoyed a little success.
I particularly enjoyed his last contribution and will be making a post along similar lines when I get the time(do look in Dave!).
Meanwhile thanks to both JB and DC for both their efforts?.