Bought the wrong one?

chevin4

Reaction score
I have a Phillips Kevlar Avon made by Paul Boote a lovely rod built on a very slim blank. Must be well over 30 years old now.
I had forgotten about that rod. Saw one at a show agree lovely through actioned rod. Paul to be fair sent me a pike rod to try I returned it after a few casts it was far to stiff in action

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
Very easy to get to Alan just a few junctions down the A10 from Ware they have their own car park at the rear. Best tackle shop I have been to like Leslies in the quality of stock but far far better service.
Second that.....an excellent shop. Its a bit of a schlep round the M25 for me so I dont go very often not least because I have this nasty habit of coming home with at least one rod when I do.

Reaction score
F### that then,I had better not go,just for the sake of my hearing!

sam vimes

Reaction score
Freespirit have never had a huge amount of stockists. Until they brought out their match/general coarse range, things were even worse. Prior to that, my closest stockist was 116 miles away. Now, my closest is 88 miles away. Other than on the bank, I've seen Freespirit products twice in the flesh. Once at Walkers Of Trowell (I was passing a few years back) and once at a tackle show.

nottskev

Reaction score
Freespirit have never had a huge amount of stockists. Until they brought out their match/general coarse range, things were even worse. Prior to that, my closest stockist was 116 miles away. Now, my closest is 88 miles away. Other than on the bank, I've seen Freespirit products twice in the flesh. Once at Walkers Of Trowell (I was passing a few years back) and once at a tackle show.

Walkers is one of my local shops, 10 mins up the road. Their stock isn't huge but they sell quality stuff. For instance, I impulse-bought a nicely made-up Harrison Torrix off the shelf in the summer. Nathan's in Radford (formerly Gerry's) also have some in on occasion. A friend of mine used to work Saturdays in there and he once insisted I admire some little Free Spirit creation, I think it was a lure or drop-shotting model. Just hold that! Ok. I did. Friend held the tip. Bend into that. Yeah, very nice. No, lift into it properly. It's ok, I get the picture. No. go on, lift. Ok, to please him I lifted a bit more. The rod exploded with a bang that made everyone in the shop stop dead and look. Friend disappeared into back room with most of the pieces and was too embarrassed to come out for a while. No reflection on Free Spirit rods of course, but I can't help remembering it when I see the name.

chevin4

Reaction score
Second that.....an excellent shop. Its a bit of a schlep round the M25 for me so I dont go very often not least because I have this nasty habit of coming home with at least one rod when I do.
You and me both I was looking for a 12ft float rod I couldn't justify one from the HI S range as it wouldn't get a lot of use. I was looking to spend around 100 quid I came away with a Tamer power float lovely rod for the money

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
Walkers is one of my local shops, 10 mins up the road. Their stock isn't huge but they sell quality stuff. For instance, I impulse-bought a nicely made-up Harrison Torrix off the shelf in the summer. Nathan's in Radford (formerly Gerry's) also have some in on occasion. A friend of mine used to work Saturdays in there and he once insisted I admire some little Free Spirit creation, I think it was a lure or drop-shotting model. Just hold that! Ok. I did. Friend held the tip. Bend into that. Yeah, very nice. No, lift into it properly. It's ok, I get the picture. No. go on, lift. Ok, to please him I lifted a bit more. The rod exploded with a bang that made everyone in the shop stop dead and look. Friend disappeared into back room with most of the pieces and was too embarrassed to come out for a while. No reflection on Free Spirit rods of course, but I can't help remembering it when I see the name.

I accidentally broke two custom Free Spirit carp rods and their aftersales service was absolutely abysmal. They couldn’t supply replacement rod sections, for rods that were only a few years old and after waiting over six months for them to make new rods, I found out that they hadn’t even started on making them. It wasn’t possible to contact them directly and you had to go through the dealer. I cancelled them in the end. That was a shame as they do make some nice gear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old fisher

Reaction score
Yes Kev. I paid a fortune for a Greys Aircurve 12ft 3.5lb tc rod for heavy feeder and the large PVA bag work. It must be the most top heavy rod I've ever owned.