Broken rod - what next?

mikench

Reaction score
My Acolyte was extensively road tested by Tigger and was intact when I bought it from him. It served me well for at least 4 years until I foolishly hit the ceiling with the tip. I doubt any rod tip would have survived that encounter.😃

I have read much anecdotal evidence of breakages and the term snapolytes but I have no idea if these were whilst playing a fish or due to cackhandedness which I am familiar with. I hated myself when I did it and regretted the loss of £80.

Kevin aka Aethelbald

Reaction score
Still waiting...

You posted it so damned well stand by it and stump up your evidence or retract it.

Who are the 'Acolyte-haters'?

F f sake grow up. 😄 But if you insist on being confrontational, your initial post (#2, which I hope you won't go back and edit) came across as the sort of irrational rant about Acolyte's that you read elsewhere on the internet. So I guess you can add you own name to the trolls on other forums, although I didn't.

Happy, now that you've turned a comment that nobody else objected to into a confrontation? I suggest you keep your anger to yourself and move on. 😉

Last edited:

John Aston

Reaction score
If I told my wife that it was handbags at dawn on here about whether one rod breaks more than it should it would confirm all her dark suspicions about those who practice the ...err.. Gentle Art .

Aknib

Reaction score
F f sake grow up. 😄 But if you insist on being confrontational, your initial post (#2, which I hope you won't go back and edit) came across as the sort of irrational rant about Acolyte's that you read elsewhere on the internet. So I guess you can add you own name to the trolls on other forums, although I didn't.

Happy, now that you've turned a comment that nobody else objected to into a confrontation? I suggest you keep your anger to yourself and move on. 😉

There's really no need to suggest anger or trolling just because you've been asked a simple, straight forward question to support your comment.

If you wish to interpret a view which you appear to me not to like as an irrational rant then that's your business, if that is what you are implying about my initial post?

I don't see how asking a straight forward question, namely who the 'Acolyte-haters' are, could be viewed as a confrontation?

So carry on, I will expect more derogatory remarks such as 'F f sake grow up', if it makes you feel better?

I actually hope it does, it would at least offer one justification for typing something that I really can't see as having any other purpose whatsoever.

@Clive

Reaction score
I have never seen or handled an Acolite or for that matter a Harrison rod. But, my two penneth is that if I tapped my Greys TX and VX float rods the sound they make is very different. With the more expensive VX it soulds like crystal glass whereas the cheaper rod has a more dull note like window glass. My Masterline rods are even more down the scale. Now, I reckon that the VX has more carbon content with causes it to sound like it does. It is lighter g per cm and stiffer. I wouldn't be surprised if it shattered more readily under a sudden load than the more forgiving constituents of the TX rod. After all, you don't use your lead crystal glasses for quaffing ale and fruit juice.

I wouldn't be surprised if that analogy didn't explain the unexplained breakages if they really did happen at all. :unsure:

Disclaimer; if you break your rods playing musical chimes on them don't blame me.