Charity Barbel Challenge August 2013

Neil Maidment

Reaction score
jerry gleeson is fundraising for ABF The Soldiers' Charity shows £1,910

Had a quick look on the BS Website but can't find anything (no longer a member so can't post the question on their forum). Similar story on their Facebook page as well. If the detail is on there, I can't find it. If you're on FB, it's an open page, so you could post the question there.

Jerry Gleeson's Facebook page has some stunning images and snippets although no great detail, but there is a copy of a short article the Angling Times did in September which quotes £2,500

There is a 2014 event in the planning stage apparently.

Steve Pope

Reaction score
Hi Neil,

I will be seeing Jerry on Monday.

Along with Terry Theobold I'm giving a talk for the Lancashire Region of the BS.

I will be staying overnight with Jerry and will have up to the minute information.

I do know that money is still coming in, the BS itself has recently made a sizeable contribution.

Bear with me, the figure will be put up on our website, indeed there is a brand new Barbel Society website that will be going live very soon.

Hope this helps.

Steve.

jerry gleeson1

Reaction score
Hi all

Fred has sent me a message to give you an update on the challenge.

Donations are upto £1910 on the just giving page, I have £390 in cheques from various clubs and organisations and there is still quite a few quid to come in from about another 6-8 people which will take us in excess of £2500.

When the final money is in i will post and let you all know.

For those that dont know or who couldnt follow it on facebook Myself and Paul Floyd fished the ribble and goyt on our own before being joined by Phil Smith on the dove, derwent, trent and soar, then it was me and Paul again on the lower severn before we headed off to the lodden where we met up with Dave Chambers who would fish all the "easy" 7 southern rivers with us.

Phil Smith did a piece in septembers Cat magazine about the 1st half and should they chose to use it i did a piece about the 2nd half which may be in novembers, There was a nice piece in the AM and a tiny snippit in the AT.

Myself and the lads are trying to put a magazine together about the challenge where we will all tell our own version of the events etc this is to hopefully raise more money for the ABF where all profits would be donated but it all depends on costs etc and whether people would be interested in buying such a thing.

The challenge was an absolutely amazing experience, the amount of support we had along the way was fantastic, we had people popping up all over the place coming to say hello and bringing us breakfast and bbqs.

We did want to have a go at repeating the event next year, but myself and Paul are having trouble getting away with it again with the wives so next years challenge will be based on 10days fishing where we will fish as many rivers as possible in 10 days from 10 differant counties, the aim is to catch a barbel from each river we fish including 20 doubles.

Once the wording is sorted out and things start to unfold i will advise nearer the time.

Here are the 15 doubles from this years challenge.

Many thanks to everyone who donated money, wished us luck, bought us breakfast etc it was very much appreciated.

Jez

Ribble Double

Goyt double

Dove double

Derwent doubles

Trent Doubles

Soar Doubles

B

binka

Thanks for the update Jez and all the great pictures.

Would loved to have come along and say hello but just wasn't possible i'm afraid so support given via the Just Giving page instead.

A great cause done in a great way with lots of dedication.

Anyway, I couldn't have brought you any sarnies 'cos i'd have only scoffed 'em all on the way :D