Chub - freelining rod

allrounder 71

Reaction score
I'm thinking of buying a rod for stalking and freelining bread, cheese, Spam etc, for chub, on the Warwickshire Avon and the smaller Birmingham Anglers rivers.

The rod I'm thinking of is one of the Drennan Red range feeder rods (I don't want to spend much), 9ft or 10ft for mobility. The rods have soft glass tips ranging from 1oz, 1.5oz, 2oz, 3oz and 4oz. They all suggest main lines of 3-7lbs or 4-8lbs and I'll probably use 6lb line straight through.

What should I be looking at in that range? Something in the middle - 1.5-2oz, or should I go as light as possible?

Thanks.
For all my chubbing i only use 1 rod the original john wilson avon quiver covers all situations from freelining to legering ..even feeder fishing..i think the dreenan red 10ft will be ideal for what you need it for

Kevin aka Aethelbald

Reaction score
I've fished quite a bit since the original post and bought a used 12ft Acolyte Plus feeder, which I'm very happy with - caught plenty of chub, roach, perch, and various little fellas. Sensitive enough (I've got 1.5 / 2 / 3 and 4oz tips) even with a 3oz tip in one of the weir pools on the Avon.