Coarse Fisherman Magazine - RIP

captain carrott

Reaction score
even if you had no idea who they were talking about (as i didn't) snide rumours was still damned funny.

Graham Marsden

Editor Emeritus
Reaction score
The author of Snide Rumours was not one person, it was a bunch of us making contributions - yes, including me. And like some of the others I used to send in some really cutting and insulting stories about myself (based on truth though!). It was the most popular feature in the magazine, but the trouble was, there were a (very) few people who didn't see the funny side of it and started taking it all seriously and made complaints about it to solicitors, etc. That's why it stopped and why there has been nothing like it since.

It's the PC world we live in I'm afraid.

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
I think Crucian must be in a minority of one, whenever fishing mags are brought up in forums (including this one) they all hark back to the wonderful David Hall's CF. To say it had no fishing content is a nonsense, of course it did and yes it had "snide rumours" that was one of the most popular parts of it but it was just a page nothing more. Would that modern magazines were even half as good as the old CF I still think fondly of it even now.

I wonder what will happen to Stu, "Matchfishing" mag perhaps or has Dave Harrell got that sewn up. I hope he still attends Clattercote, oy! Stu mate don't forget us eh!

dezza

Reaction score
That reminds me of the time when Walker and Bucknall used to slag each other off in various magazines. Some of the readers got really uptight about what they used to say. Little did they know that it was all pre-arranged between the two of them.

Reaction score
I didn't know Roy Walker, the popular Irish comic, and Barry Bucknall, the early TV DIY expert, were acquainted.

That's what I love about FM...you learn something new every day.

(Decides to keep head below parapet for a bit!!:wh)

Bully

Reaction score
Shame - but isnt it sort of inevitable? Lets face it, the internet has and will continue to drive people away from hard copy, and the younger ages will continue that move.

Personally I still like a good magazine :)D) and CF was always the one I got, but I have to say that after a while I felt I was just re-reading the same stuff, and that I could get more or less everything I wanted from here......

The Monk

Reaction score
The author of Snide Rumours was not one person, it was a bunch of us making contributions - yes, including me. And like some of the others I used to send in some really cutting and insulting stories about myself (based on truth though!). It was the most popular feature in the magazine, but the trouble was, there were a (very) few people who didn't see the funny side of it and started taking it all seriously and made complaints about it to solicitors, etc. That's why it stopped and why there has been nothing like it since.

It's the PC world we live in I'm afraid.

Of course Graham Tim Paisley started a similar column in Carp World

---------- Post added at 16:55 ---------- Previous post was at 16:51 ----------

I think Crucian must be in a minority of one, whenever fishing mags are brought up in forums (including this one) they all hark back to the wonderful David Hall's CF. To say it had no fishing content is a nonsense, of course it did and yes it had "snide rumours" that was one of the most popular parts of it but it was just a page nothing more. Would that modern magazines were even half as good as the old CF I still think fondly of it even now.

!

An excellent mag was CF in the DH daze, plenty of good stuff in there, not forgetting the great Chris Binyon and the Lucio Specimen group, along with Barrie the Hat, classic stuff

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
Genuine quote from Snide Rumours and Dirty Lies, CF September 1978:

"Eddie Bibby recently had his hair cut in an Afro style, the very next day he caught his first bream of the season...could this be the new method..."

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

Reaction score
Genuine quote from Snide Rumours and Dirty Lies, CF September 1978:

"Eddie Bibby recently had his hair cut in an Afro style, the very next day he caught his first bream of the season...could this be the new method..."

Hahahaha ..... Here's the 'rumoured' Afro style .....

Don't know why the picture won't come up ......( It's in the gallery on here )

Last edited:

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
I have noticed this problem of piccies not showing on the posts, isn't it about time the techies enlightened us as to why? It used to be such a simple procedure too hey ho!

Mind you in Ed's case they are probably thinking of the impact the photo would have on the general public :wh

Last edited:

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

Reaction score
Me neither.

Which gallery is it in Ed?

My FM one ......

I don't have any other one -- ALL my pics are on there

I don't want to sign up for any of these 'Facebook/Photobucket' type things where you have to share your pictures with all and sundry and have people you've never heard of wanting you to be their friend and join all kinds of stupid things
I joined Facebook when FM was going to close --and just found it to be the most stupid,annoying thing with people (complete strangers) sending loads of daft things all the time

Last edited:

Neil Maidment

Reaction score
My FM one ......

I don't have any other one -- ALL my pics are on there

I don't want to sign up for any of these 'Facebook/Photobucket' type things where you have to share your pictures with all and sundry

Not sure how to break this to you Ed.... but, yes you have one album (36 pics), but there are also pics posted by you in "Trophy Shots". Which one are you trying to post on the thread??

---------- Post added at 10:39 ---------- Previous post was at 10:33 ----------

I have noticed this problem of piccies not showing on the posts, isn't it about time the techies enlightened us as to why? It used to be such a simple procedure too hey ho!

Mind you in Ed's case they are probably thinking of the impact the photo would have on the general public :wh

It is a pain! But the "techie" (note the singular) for both FM and F&F forums has it somewhere on a long list.

This may help:
http://www.fishingmagic.com/forums/...lf/131311-guiding-points-all-new-members.html

Rodney Wrestt

Reaction score
Well worth posting :D

Presenting Eddie Afro>>>>>

Nice Zed Eddie, didn't know they existed back then
rodney-wrestt.gif

Last edited: