Do we need to land a fish!

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Just by way of conversation, if a fish gets off at the last knocking, usually I don't mind. As long as I have seen it so I know what it was and have had enough of a view to guess its weight, I am past caring. I have done everything I desire, had the fight, inputted all the data the rest is just a chore, slipping the landing net under it, unhooking it etc. As far as I am concerned I caught the fish, or have I?
I only really like a photo for something to put on here. If it is a really exceptional fish, then maybe I want to land it, then I may want to weigh it and get a photo but this is a rare occurrence.
I just wondered what anyone else thought of that if anything.

Gaston664

Reaction score
When I lose a fish at the last minute I feel very anti climatic! One of my favourite parts is letting the fish go after I've unhooked etc.

Definitely like to go through the whole process!

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

rayner

Reaction score
If I lose a fish near to where I'm fishing I couldn't care less, I'm not bothered if a fish comes off anytime. For me to get a bite and hook the fish is the hardest thing, if a fish comes off it will save me pain plus the rigmarole of netting, unhooking, returning fish takes me far too long it begins to grate.
I'd go as far as to say losing fish to me is a welcome mishap.

Keith M

Reaction score
As far as I'm concerned, within the realms of UK freshwater fishing, it's not caught until it's in a landing net. It doesn't have to come out of the water though.

It’s the same with me, I would not count a fish as being caught until it’s in my landing net or in my hand.
Although If it was a snotty I would be thankful if it did come off the hook before it was in my net or my hand so I would just count that as being fortunate :)

Keith

mikench

Reaction score
My catch rate would increase , a bit like er er the cost of euros, if I counted those I lose near the net. :cool: I'm not in a match, I'm not claiming any record and I doubt anyone on this forum cares either way. However I will continue to exclude them to keep on the straight and narrow. I do like it though when the hook comes out as the fish graces the net; it saves me performing the worst bit.

Roger Johnson 2

Reaction score
I understand what you mean Markg, for me the most important aspect is getting the bite, particularly in lure or fly fishing, showing me that I’ve fooled the fish, I’ve got location, timing and bait/lure all right. Second, is taking pleasure in the application of the method, the joy of trotting, I try to imagine putting the bait into the fishes mouth, the accuracy of feeder fishing or lure fishing to a feature, and the beauty of an elegant fly cast (if only, but I am improving). The playing itself is almost a by product although I’m becoming tempted by the idea of fishing for catfish from my float tube or canoe, actually the thought of playing a near 6feet long fish from a glorified rubber ring terrifies me but as young people say YOLO.
However.....if I didn’t land a fish I’d miss the joy of looking at their beautiful shapes and colours.
Finally, my wife often says, when we’re surface fishing for carp, she is just as happy watching them feeding as catching them, although the threat of walking home if she catches a bigger fish than me might be the underlying reason for that!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

no-one in particular

Reaction score
I suppose it could be said that getting the fish in a landing net is a crucial part of the process, probably more fish get lost at that point especially if not done properly so part of the skill. I get very annoyed if I lose a fish and I have not seen it, forever wondering what it may have been especially if it felt like a good one. But once I have seen it, guessed its weight; I find the rest of it a bit of a non event really.

steve2

Reaction score
Any fish that come off before the net or being unhooked in the water doesn't count to me. The same goes for any of my repeat captures if I did my big fish count would be far higher.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
I imagine it is that for most anglers. On reflection I am probably just still doing what I did as a kid fishing with my dad with a toy rod, dreaming of what monsters lay beneath like an itch that needs scratching so, once I have achieved that, seen the monster; the itch goes; till the next time of course.

rayner

Reaction score
I wouldn't count a fish as caught if it comes off, still, I wouldn't get narked if it happened.
If I fished matches I would definitely be a bit miffed especially if the fish kept escaping. If I ever get back fishing again with fish coming off it'll not bother me one iota.
I get an even stronger feeling every day the cash I've spent in the lockdown and before will be well spent. roll on September that's my target date.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
1591209395232.png

Keith M

Reaction score
I understand what you mean Markg, for me the most important aspect is getting the bite, particularly in lure or fly fishing, showing me that I’ve fooled the fish, I’ve got location, timing and bait/lure all right.

In my view the most important aspect is not just getting a bite, and I don’t think it shows me that I’ve fooled the fish into getting hooked either; it just shows me that I haven’t presented my bait well enough to ensure a firm hookhold on an inquisitive fish; and should think a bit more about my presentation and possibly the tackle I was using a bit better.

If I counted every fish that managed to shed my hook then like Steve; my big fish count would be far higher. I would not be comforted by the thought that I had fooled the fish into pecking at my bait and managed to temporarily hook the fish in the process at all. :( :)

Keith

Reaction score
I feel he fish has to be in the net,often I will unhook fish without laying a finger on it,but as has been said,to watch a fish swim away strongly is a major part of angling to me,specially fish like barbel and grayling....

Reaction score
Exactly,I can remember lots of fish that gave me nightmares,one chub on the Severn which snagged me in roots under my feet,I jumped in up to my chest,no net,pulled the fish out of the snags by hand and had the fish under my left armpit,when it kicked,threw the hook and swum off,that was thirty,maybe forty years ago,my mate and I still talk about it absolutely huge....

spoonminnow

Reaction score
My reasons for fishing are different than for most anglers. First off I count all fish hooked during an outing regardless whether they came off. Record keeping is of foremost importance for many reasons - none of which would be of any interest to others.

Reaction score
Are you from the planet Zarg Mr.Minnow??? A very strange and interesting take to our sport...