Do we need to land a fish!

rayner

Reaction score
The only way to know that weight of a fish is to land it and weigh it. I have lost track of the amount of 20lb carp/pike, 2lb roach etc. that I could have caught if I hadn't landed and weighed them. They always look bigger in the water and always weigh less on the bank.

Well, my biggest fish that was bang on 19lb slipped the hook just as I was about to slip the net under it. I had the net hovering just above the water and it was gone in a flash.
I wasn't too disappointed though.

Keith M

Reaction score
The only way to know that weight of a fish is to land it and weigh it. I have lost track of the amount of 20lb carp/pike, 2lb roach etc. that I could have caught if I hadn't landed and weighed them. They always look bigger in the water and always weigh less on the bank.

Especially on the first day of the season when you’ve waited 3 months to catch a Barbel; the first one or two always look bigger than they actually are; through my eyes, :)

Keith

rayner

Reaction score
Well, my biggest fish that was bang on 19lb slipped the hook just as I was about to slip the net under it. I had the net hovering just above the water and it was gone in a flash.
Well, I'm disappointed, to say the least. Where's the reaction to my post, A BLATANT LIE.

Philip

Reaction score
Agree on the has to be landed to count although even that is not always as clear cut as it sounds. Ask Shark fisherman what counts as a captured fish and there is all sorts of debate as to when a fish thats too big to be boated really counts.

Heres a true example ...a while back I landed a fish, it was not especially large but still a nice one ...as it came to the net the hook pulled literally at the moment of netting so right at the rim of the net. For some reason the fish did not zoom off, instead it lay there floating for a moment on the surface so I scooped it up in the net.

Does it count ?

If the hook had pulled literally a fraction of a second later I think everyone would count it as caught and happily say "Oh look it unhooked inself IN the net".

no-one in particular

Reaction score
I want to land one once I know it may be a good fish which I can usual tell by the fight or when I have seen it, for weighing or photographing but, once I have got it to the surface and it is an ordinary fish; I am not bothered if it gets off. At that point I have had all the fun of the fish, the tempting it, the bite, the playing it etc; the rest is just a formality. I will keep a tally of fish in my head but only those brought to the surface and landed and those that got off as long as I have played it to the bank and seen it.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
Agree on the has to be landed to count although even that is not always as clear cut as it sounds. Ask Shark fisherman what counts as a captured fish and there is all sorts of debate as to when a fish thats too big to be boated really counts.

Heres a true example ...a while back I landed a fish, it was not especially large but still a nice one ...as it came to the net the hook pulled literally at the moment of netting so right at the rim of the net. For some reason the fish did not zoom off, instead it lay there floating for a moment on the surface so I scooped it up in the net.

Does it count ?

If the hook had pulled literally a fraction of a second later I think everyone would count it as caught and happily say "Oh look it unhooked inself IN the net".
They count to me especially in a match,
I can happen more times than you think, a few times I have gone to unhook a fish in my landing net and found the hook has already come out,
To unhook fish in my landing net, I place it across my knees, this is for fish upto around 10lb, any heavier the net goes on unhooking mat,

rayner

Reaction score

This was a joke that nobody fell for. Very disappointed, I don't know too many jokes and the only one I've remembered fell flat on its face. :(:(:(:(

Reaction score
Mr Minnow,a question for you,as you obviousy fish lures 99.9% of the time,can you explain why virtually all the your lures pictured are olive green,or yellowish,I say this because most prey fish here are perhaps green backed,but often silver with a cream/white belly,even eels,or is it a coincidence and you carry a multitude of colours like the rest of us mugs? :LOL:

Reaction score
An interesing insight Frank,when fishing here I use red maggots a fair amount,we get several different colours to choose from,in fifteen feet of water I would swear by red maggot above all others,but that's me,the jury is always out on that one,lol...