Evening match tactics

mikench

Reaction score
Thanks. I have tried it with one of Nottskevs and indeed I caught a few tench. I still haven't got one though which tells you something. I don't have an aversion to pole fishers generally just a few and to poles themselves. On one of my visits to PL and admittedly a horrible day weather wise, I decided not to fish as every peg on the waters I looked at was occupied by someone fishing a pole. They were motionless and few had a brolly. I walked past a few , said hello and was met with complete silence and was utterly ignored. One chap caught a fish which I now know was an F1 and I enquired what it was. He ignored me. Such rudeness was off putting to say the least. I made a riposte and walked away never to return. First impressions count and those were not favourable.

I have never met such impolite behaviour at any of my club waters. It's all water under the bridge now? .

rayner

Reaction score
Come down here trying to chat to me whilst I'm fishing, you'll get similar treatment.
Not everyone wants to waste time chatting in favour of fishing.
Why do folk who have nothing to do insist on speaking to strangers?

mikench

Reaction score
All right I'll take you off my xmas card list. It wasn't you then Gary!? We are tetchy today.

The coffee table is perfect for mixing cocktails.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
Custom Image 02072021171859.jpg

Golden Eagle

Reaction score
Thanks. I have tried it with one of Nottskevs and indeed I caught a few tench. I still haven't got one though which tells you something. I don't have an aversion to pole fishers generally just a few and to poles themselves. On one of my visits to PL and admittedly a horrible day weather wise, I decided not to fish as every peg on the waters I looked at was occupied by someone fishing a pole. They were motionless and few had a brolly. I walked past a few , said hello and was met with complete silence and was utterly ignored. One chap caught a fish which I now know was an F1 and I enquired what it was. He ignored me. Such rudeness was off putting to say the least. I made a riposte and walked away never to return. First impressions count and those were not favourable.

I have never met such impolite behaviour at any of my club waters. It's all water under the bridge now? .
It appears your timing was perhaps off?

Stealth is part of watercraft and perhaps what you perceived as rudeness was in fact just concentration?

I’ve fished at Partridge half a dozen times this year and have spent time chatting with fellow anglers on each occasion! They’ve been friendly and approachable in my experience.

Reaction score
Sadly,unless you have an intimate knowledge of your venue,you will be playing catch up with those that do,unless your very fortunate,the only thing is it is carp,so several methods can work,during my match fishing years I fished many summer leagues and was fortunate to win several,but that was due to homework sussing out what I considered the ways to approach venues and different pegs on them,all the best for them...

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Sadly,unless you have an intimate knowledge of your venue,you will be playing catch up with those that do,unless your very fortunate,the only thing is it is carp,so several methods can work,during my match fishing years I fished many summer leagues and was fortunate to win several,but that was due to homework sussing out what I considered the ways to approach venues and different pegs on them,all the best for them...
That's similar to what I posted about Covey system on Partridge Lakes, A lot of pegs and depending on where you are most of the sections require their own approach.
Same as Canal sections on Wrightington.
Get an end peg where the wind is blowing into it and you have to really plunder it before the wind changes and the other end peg starts to produce. Some of the pegs in the middle are catch up pegs, Similar set up to Sycamore fishery.

Golden Eagle

Reaction score
So the match came along…..

I weighed 39lb 7oz, way behind the winner who had 68lb but just out of the frame as 40lb dead was 3rd.

All my fish, all carp except 1 F1, were caught in the margin, in front of the next pallet.

Thoroughly enjoyed it, 3 hours went by in a flash. A little frustrating at times as margin fishing can be. The fish seemed to enter the swim as a group in response to feed, it was either no bites or carnage with the happy medium of setting a trap for a feeding fish hard to achieve.

I did try a shorter margin swim but couldn’t get anything going there, I felt there were small fish only present and I had set up to catch quality.

Happy to have competed and would have been delighted to have framed. ……

If only I hadn’t dropped a 5lb carp out of my landing net and back into the lake after unhooking it!

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
So the match came along…..

I weighed 39lb 7oz, way behind the winner who had 68lb but just out of the frame as 40lb dead was 3rd.

All my fish, all carp except 1 F1, were caught in the margin, in front of the next pallet.

Thoroughly enjoyed it, 3 hours went by in a flash. A little frustrating at times as margin fishing can be. The fish seemed to enter the swim as a group in response to feed, it was either no bites or carnage with the happy medium of setting a trap for a feeding fish hard to achieve.

I did try a shorter margin swim but couldn’t get anything going there, I felt there were small fish only present and I had set up to catch quality.

Happy to have competed and would have been delighted to have framed. ……

If only I hadn’t dropped a 5lb carp out of my landing net and back into the lake after unhooking it!
Do you not tip your landing net into your keepnet ,?
I unhook with landing net across my knees and the tip net into keepnet.

Well done on match weight.

The fish may have felt more comfortable feeding in the deeper water in front of next pallet than in the shallower water on a short margin.

Golden Eagle

Reaction score
Do you not tip your landing net into your keepnet ,?
I unhook with landing net across my knees and the tip net into keepnet.

Well done on match weight.

The fish may have felt more comfortable feeding in the deeper water in front of next pallet than in the shallower water on a short margin.
Hi Mark

Thanks, I was pleased simply to have competed.

Regarding keepnets. Yes but the angle lock device on my keepnet had loosened so as I tipped the fish from the net it fell almost vertically and the fish sort of bounced out! One of those things.

Regarding the margins, you’re right they simply wouldn’t settle on the short margin. I ended up fishing gradually further away from the pallet as the match went on. Trouble is though it’s a very silty venue and the fish were either not there or there in quantities. Any advice on tackling this would be appreciated, though I suspect a perfect solution might not exist?

I’ve previously hammered them on paste on this venue but in a recent pleasure sesssion it was a nightmare and a switch to corn over micros brought much cleaner bites, so this was my match tactic.
A regular told me worm has been doing well as a hook bait but I didn’t have any with me.

I’ll get some for next week for my return!

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Hi Mark

Thanks, I was pleased simply to have competed.

Regarding keepnets. Yes but the angle lock device on my keepnet had loosened so as I tipped the fish from the net it fell almost vertically and the fish sort of bounced out! One of those things.

Regarding the margins, you’re right they simply wouldn’t settle on the short margin. I ended up fishing gradually further away from the pallet as the match went on. Trouble is though it’s a very silty venue and the fish were either not there or there in quantities. Any advice on tackling this would be appreciated, though I suspect a perfect solution might not exist?

I’ve previously hammered them on paste on this venue but in a recent pleasure sesssion it was a nightmare and a switch to corn over micros brought much cleaner bites, so this was my match tactic.
A regular told me worm has been doing well as a hook bait but I didn’t have any with me.

I’ll get some for next week for my return!
Try fishing between your keepnets as well.
The reason I said deeper water in front of the other pallet is when the keepnets are brought in from peg they scour a groove in the bottom of the pool, in some cases there could be a foot difference in depth between the side of peg and in front of it.
If worm is working try doing two swims, One with chopped worm the other with a carpet of groundbait and pellets.
Feed via kinder pot after each fish. I would think the reason they are there one minute and not the next could be down to feeding pattern, Feed and they turn up and scoff the lot, you may get a couple out but by then the Feed will have gone.
Remember though, you can put feed in but not take it out.
As for cleaner bites with corn I would put this down to it being a heavier bait so not wafted about ,plus it is a visible bait.Also try fishing a heavier float if bait is being moved around and a 4" hooklength with shot above the loop to loop .

Golden Eagle

Reaction score
Thanks Mark, all good advice.
I’m not inclined to go with chopped worm simply because I want to target carp and there are a lot of smaller fish present.
My corn rig is a 0.5g float with a bulk above a 3 inch hooklength, nailing that heavy bait down is vital to successful margin fishing.

I was limited in that the next peg to my left was separated by a lily bed and trying to drag carp out of lillies is not my idea of fun.

Shame as I much prefer to fish to my left rather than right, being right handed. I prefer fishing across my legs rather than away from them, if that makes sense? How about you?

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
If I have to go to 16 metres to an island I will do, but I will have a small bomb rod set up as well to cast to the island,
As for margins, I prefer the left margin ,I put that down to being right handed , but I will have both sides primed with different baits, one could end up being a throwaway swim. If there is an empty peg next to me, that gets fed little and often, then with say an hour to go I dump pot bait into it, this gives the impression of someone packing up and throwing bait in, then I will give it a few minutes and go over it,
A few venues are now responding to feed half a dozen casters and freeline one shallow over the feed,

Golden Eagle

Reaction score
If I have to go to 16 metres to an island I will do, but I will have a small bomb rod set up as well to cast to the island,
As for margins, I prefer the left margin ,I put that down to being right handed , but I will have both sides primed with different baits, one could end up being a throwaway swim. If there is an empty peg next to me, that gets fed little and often, then with say an hour to go I dump pot bait into it, this gives the impression of someone packing up and throwing bait in, then I will give it a few minutes and go over it,
A few venues are now responding to feed half a dozen casters and freeline one shallow over the feed,
What do you think of the approach of just feeding a small kinder pot, rather than a large pot?