Evening match tactics

Golden Eagle

Reaction score
Not fished a match at Partridge for a couple of years, Used to fish Brookside ,Stu Conroy and some other top names fished there,
Have you fished any matches at Cheshire Oaks ?
Fished Cheshire Oaks last week, really enjoyed it. Bit susceptible to the wind though!

Golden Eagle

Reaction score
To justify my margin tactics Jamie Hughes has made a video, shame my version doesn’t resemble his!

Golden Eagle

Reaction score
I nt to look at just as the first strip lake was being finished off, plenty of fish topping.
The tackle shop wasn't even up an running then.
It is susceptible to wind, it was breezy when I went to look at the place.
It’s still a work in progress, they have had issues with planning permission so not achieved all their aims yet.

Very friendly and helpful set up, nice little tackle shop and the fish in the lake have grown to be a decent size already.

A regular was telling me that he has seen quite a few accidents with poles due to the wind.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
It’s still a work in progress, they have had issues with planning permission so not achieved all their aims yet.

Very friendly and helpful set up, nice little tackle shop and the fish in the lake have grown to be a decent size already.

A regular was telling me that he has seen quite a few accidents with poles due to the wind.
Luckily I have not had a pole break due to the wind, Had a few bend as if got a largeccarp on if strong wind caught me unawares.
If very windy it's fish short pole or feeder. Or on a couple of venues a waggler fished way over depth.

Golden Eagle

Reaction score
Luckily I have not had a pole break due to the wind, Had a few bend as if got a largeccarp on if strong wind caught me unawares.
If very windy it's fish short pole or feeder. Or on a couple of venues a waggler fished way over depth.
Fished Partridge yesterday, Covey 5. Tough going after the previous day’s rain but I had about 70lb shallow and down the edge.
Bizarrely, if you read back through this thread, Phil Barwell came and sat behind me and asked me about tactics!

Also bumped into Kristian Jones, who was coaching, great young angler and ambassador for tyre sport.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Fished Partridge yesterday, Covey 5. Tough going after the previous day’s rain but I had about 70lb shallow and down the edge.
Bizarrely, if you read back through this thread, Phil Barwell came and sat behind me and asked me about tactics!

Also bumped into Kristian Jones, who was coaching, great young angler and ambassador for tyre sport.
I am back in the northwest for a couple of days back end of next week.
Going to have a day on a commercial.
May do Wrightington or Fir Tree .

Golden Eagle

Reaction score
I am back in the northwest for a couple of days back end of next week.
Going to have a day on a commercial.
May do Wrightington or Fir Tree .
Yew Tree is well worth a visit, you can fish virtually any tactic on there and catch quality fish, it really is a superb venue.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Yew Tree is well worth a visit, you can fish virtually any tactic on there and catch quality fish, it really is a superb venue.
If I stay overnight in Warrington and decide to go fishing, it will be grandkids dependant, if I can see them all in one day, the next day is fishing day. , I can do Wrightington or Fir Tree in 20 minutes up the M6,
It would take longer for Yew Tree, and would only be going for a few hours,
Partridge Lakes or Blundells may get the nod yet.

Golden Eagle

Reaction score
Final update on my evening match series, as last night was last one due to the light.

Match 5 I weighed 49lb after drawing the peg Jamie Hughes has smashed the venue record from the week previously. As I’m also called Jamie, you can imagine I got a bit of stick. I can assure you the ease with which he caught that weight is largely down to skill and mastery of the sport, the fish here are not crawling up the bank by any means. While my 49lb sounds poor compared to the peg’s previous week’s weight, the two pegs to my right did not weigh, and I was somewhere in mid position of those that fished.

Match 6, Mr Hughes returned and duly won again. His weight a more re131lb. He was drawn 2 pegs along from me and thought that the margins here were too deep, which I would agree with, weighing 45lb myself.

Last night, match 7, final match due to light conditions, towards the end I was struggling to see my float! My target had been 60lb, so I was happy to weigh in 75lb 8oz and finish in second place.

Overall I’ve been pleased with my efforts, certainly room for improvement but I’ve also never been at the bottom of the weights. I can see improvement in my approach as time has gone on and I’m learning so much. Really enjoyed these matches

Yew Tree is a cracking little venue and I’d recommend it as a well run commercial with healthy, hard-fighting fish and a place where you can catch in so many ways. At least 5 different pegs won the 7 matches so a very fair venue too, compared to many others.

Thanks for all the comments and advice. I think margin fishing as an approach has been proven as a good tactic, with pretty much all the winning weights coming in this way.