Feargal Sharkey

Reaction score
But we don't clean the sewage,so it becomes a legal issue and being prepared to implement the letter of said law...

Bluenose

Reaction score
We do implement the law at times, water companies get fined millions.

Their CEOs still get massive bonuses, shareholders get dividends, massive profits are made and no one goes to jail.

The fines mean nothing.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
bb
I agree with your disgust,but this shit wont change,the green party are a non starter,just like the liberal democrats and crazy raving monster loony party,they look good on paper until small print is read,being anti angling doesnt help get my vote which I seemed to read was a part of their future programme...maybe not but...
There is nothing in their manifesto about banning angling, dissuading people from it by education but not banning it, so we will have the choice. Some think they will ban it once in power, its unlikely they will get in power for a very long time so, I am not worried about that for a long time, and I think they will be the same as all other parties, will see too many lost votes in it by banning it.
On the other hand I do see them taking on the water companies, manufacturing, farms etc. and stopping all the pollution, plastics as well and all the other shit. We can carry on voting tory/labour but I am not going to do that any more, sick of the lot of them and their outdated policies and thinking. And as to reading how anglers can get together, their clubs, their celebrities, there representative bodies that will make a difference, it has proved to be all sails without any wind. Why does anyone think that is going to change now, I have been reading the same song sheet for 13 years but never hear any music..

theartist

Reaction score
I agree it is not red v blue, hence my point about 'every' government could make the EA a serious proposition for polluters.

However, we vote for the parties that do these things. We put them in power. They pump sh1t into our rivers. We sit by and watch, then vote them in again next time. It's on us.
In a way but we have to weigh up, crime, The NHS, Immigration, economy etc when voting for anything, the voter can't be blamed for what the water companies are doing or trying to do. They are trying it on and we shouldn't be distracted by that or accept it as a byproduct of any economical restraints. If there was huge profits to be had they would find those drivers in no time and pay them accordingly.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Right now the main problem seems to be that the sewage and water companes are running out of ferric sulphide that is used to treat sewage and our drinking water . . .

Due to the shortages most of the remaining supplies are being diverted to the water companies for treating our drinking water . . . so the sewage ia going into te rivers and sea untreated.
You don't need to be a genius to work out just why we have the shortage of this necessry product . . . .

mikench

Reaction score
And it's not the only thing we are desperately short of and won't be the last. What a surprise !

And where is the great billionaire brexiteer chemical guy? He f***** off to Monaco and built his car plant in France.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Typically you and Peter will blame the Brexit, both of you would rather live in France, the fact is we are out of the EU and likely to be for a very long time if not ever. Everyone knew the problems that would result from the Brexit, its no great revelation, imports, exports, some jumping on whatever bandwagon suited them, it was all going to happen and everyone knew that but they voted leave, and I doubt the result would be any different even now, it might just swing it the other way but it would be thin. So, what's the point, can't we deal with what is and not what might have been or a fast becoming long past, solve the problems as they stand now. That's what we need to get on with not labour on about Brexit.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Well Mark, the reason I blame B***** is because it's B*****'s fault . . . as to the future, well, we'll see . . . . but right now there are so many problems to deal with and even things like raw sewage being dicharged into the rivers is due to a shortage of imported products . . if all this was "foreseeable" then why were alternative suppliesm and suppliers, not sourced long before now. For crying out aloud, we had 5 years of lead time . . .

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Well Mark, the reason I blame B***** is because it's B*****'s fault . . . as to the future, well, we'll see . . . . but right now there are so many problems to deal with and even things like raw sewage being dicharged into the rivers is due to a shortage of imported products . . if all this was "foreseeable" then why were alternative suppliesm and suppliers, not sourced long before now. For crying out aloud, we had 5 years of lead time . . .
Sorry, its not Brexit's fault, the pollution of rivers has been going on for a long time, including when we where in the EU, I don't disagree with you that not all possible problems were foreseen and planned for but, that's the way it is. Particularly, one shortage of a chemical and its knee jerk reaction to it is not the cause of river pollution. We will just have to solve these problems and get through them and we will.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Mark, you are a politician's dream . . an optimistic idealist . . . we will agree to disagree.
Ha, maybe but I like to think I am more a pragmatist, solving problems and seeing what might work is more my thing, but we will have to agree to disagree on that as well if you like. :)

Bluenose

Reaction score
In a way but we have to weigh up, crime, The NHS, Immigration, economy etc when voting for anything, the voter can't be blamed for what the water companies are doing or trying to do. They are trying it on and we shouldn't be distracted by that or accept it as a byproduct of any economical restraints. If there was huge profits to be had they would find those drivers in no time and pay them accordingly.
Trying it on? They are pumping raw sh1t into our rivers. They have gone well behind the trying it on stage. They do it in broad daylight and don't even try to hide it now. Sure there will be more 'record' fines, next year or the year after, but dividends and bonuses will still be paid.

theartist

Reaction score
Trying it on? They are pumping raw sh1t into our rivers. They have gone well behind the trying it on stage. They do it in broad daylight and don't even try to hide it now. Sure there will be more 'record' fines, next year or the year after, but dividends and bonuses will still be paid.
Agreed but they got the Brexit excuse now and the political debate that ensues to distract from their heinous practises.

Judging by many of the posts on this thread it seems to be working.

Bluenose

Reaction score
Agreed but they got the Brexit excuse now and the political debate that ensues to distract from their heinous practises.

Judging by many of the posts on this thread it seems to be working.
Couldn't agree more.

Before the raw sewage is 2 miles downstream, there will be a new focus elsewhere. The mainstream media are just as culpable as the politicians.

John Aston

Reaction score
Ah , wondering when it would be the MSM fault - cue links to random conspiracy theory websites ?

Bluenose

Reaction score
Ah , wondering when it would be the MSM fault - cue links to random conspiracy theory websites ?
Raw sh1t is being poured into our rivers on a daily basis, up and down the country, often without without punishment for offenders. The water companies make astronomical sums of money out of the British taxpayer, despite the fact they are often the worst polluters in the country. That's a fact, not a conspiracy.

I think that should be front page news, and the leading story on every broadcaster network because the implications for human health, let alone the environmental impact is massive. I think that real journalism would see this for the outrage that it is and report accordingly, but they don't, hence the majority of the population are blissfully unaware of what is going on, including, it seems, yourself.

That's just my opinion, again, not a conspiracy.

Reaction score
Not Brexit,not Boris,but lawyers who have found loopholes in the infrastructure protecting their multi million pound clientel,otherwise someone would have been at them by now....

Bluenose

Reaction score
Not Brexit,not Boris,but lawyers who have found loopholes in the infrastructure protecting their multi million pound clientel,otherwise someone would have been at them by now....
Sorry, with respect, I think that's wrong. Aside from about 5 years we've had majority govts for the last 40 years. Any one of them could have put sufficient legislation in place to properly combat this. But they didn't.

Now we don't have to comply with EU standards it has gotten much, much worse. We were explicitly told that our environmental standards would not drop post Brexit. Sure, the loophole thing may be valid occasionally, but when you are basically given a free pass to do what you want, with little or no punishment, then the lawyers have nothing to do with it. It lies fairly and squarely on the shoulders of the MPs, and those of us who continue to vote for them.