Float making.

Paste paul

markg

Well that's done, and thanks Aknib, a bit of perseverance and your tip about using whippings came in handy;it did make a neater line for the eye than my dodgy painting. I think it would have looked better using proper whipping thread but I did not have any. And you where right I think, not perfect but kept a bit of provenience. I left a couple for someone else to do and three of them needed no work. Not a bad haul for £7 and about £2 of paint and that. Considering the state they were in I am fairly pleased with the result.I will probably keep some and put some in auction with some other stuff when the auctions open again but who knows when that will be. I don't know how rare they are but I have never seen some of them before.
I enjoyed it in the end, something to do during lock-down, I might even have a go at some swan-wing quills I have had lying around for yonks.
All I have to do now is clean off the paint and varnish from everywhere:)

Attachments

Last edited:

Aknib

Well done Mark, a fine job and well worth the effort.

What did you use to whip the bands, was it braid?

It looks a nice even job and I've used this on Pike floats, being that much more substantial than the usual whipping threads I reckon it looks much more in keeping on larger floats.

markg

Thanks Aknib, not as perfect as some of yours but I was after the rustic look, I am sticking with that:) My new range - Flottes Rustique.
I used ordinary cotton, it would have been better using braid or proper whipping thread but I did not have any. It does help though, makes a neater appearance. I whipped an eye on three of them including the quill below using a bit of paper clip. Unfortunately I have deleted the original picture of them so no comparisons available now.
Here are two I forgot to put in the last picture, my favorites, I will use these. The little bobbin one the middle comes out like a gazette float and I use quills a lot anyway and this one will be quite visible.

Attachments

Last edited:

rayner

Eventually finished the jigger floats I remodelled. I say remodelled because all I did was to use old pole float bodies that just added a piece of a cotton bud to allow the line to run freely.
I need a bit of a lesson regarding photo loading, I haven't a clue, I tried but all I managed was a big failure. Our it team IE my (daughter and her husband) will get me up to speed when they eventually manage to get here.