Float making.

purplepeanut007

Reaction score
I like the black whipping on the black stem, it looks like carbon fibre. I had some similar floats, though not so posh, that I bought for deep swims many years ago. They had very small pole bushes where the line exits from the tip. They were unusual and I’ve never seen them in any tackle shop since.
Thats the beauty of hand crafted floats
You can make them for the exact situation you come up against.....not just generic, off the shelf ones!!!!!!

purplepeanut007

Reaction score
Todays offerings are, 4 - 5 BB Sarkanda Inserted Wagglers in various colours.
Have a great Bank Holday everyone, tight lines 😉
20240317_202417.jpg
20240317_202551.jpg

purplepeanut007

Reaction score
I have managed to get another....
Old School Perch Bobber finished this weekend.
Click the link for the full story and more pictures. #puplepeanut007
20240504_123446.jpg
20240504_123643.jpg

@Clive

Reaction score
Just a heads up to you float makers; the crows have started moulting and I found a few feathers on this afternoon's dog walk. If you know where there is a rookery the next month or two is the best time to stock up.

Kevin aka Aethelbald

Reaction score
Apologies if this has been covered, but 47 pages is a lot to trawl through - can anyone please tell me the best way to apply fluorescent acrylic paint to float tips?

I'm just modifying existing floats at this stage, to make them more visible... experimenting / fettling... call it what you like.

I've got some paint, but it's very thick (Pebeo High Viscosity), so I can't get it on smoothly with a paint brush and it won't run off if I dip the tip into it 'neat', as it were.

I've read that if I simply dilute with water the paint will lose some of its properties and may rub off.

Do I used acrylic pouring medium to make it more liquid, then apply? Do I bin the paint (it only cost £2.00 for 100ml) and use an alternative?

Guidance would be appreciated.

(Lovely floats p.peanut.)

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
I find it best to use a white base and if it’s thick it can be thinned with water. Several thin coats are better than one thick one and make sure it is well dried between coats. Otherwise you will be wiping off the previous coat. I usually put a clear coat of Liquitex Lacquer on top. You can also use thinly spread superglue as a sealing coat.

Kevin aka Aethelbald

Reaction score
Started applying thin coats this evening - hung the floats upside down, made a small narrow reservoir for the paint with tin foil, and dipped the tips in that. A bit Heath Robinson, but it seems to be working so far. My wife is bemused to the point that she isn't even bothering to ask. ;)

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
As Ian G said you can thin both with water.

My wife is much the same. “How much is that lot?” She asked; Eyes £5, sanding sealer £15, cellulose thinners £10, paint £10, Liguitex varnish £15, glue £5, tips £4, thread £3, cane £2, balsa £6. About twenty quid I lied, as It dawned on me that the floats I had lust made had cost about £12 each not including my time. “How much each in the tackle shop? She asked. “Um, about three quid each” I confessed. But these one’s are for special needs,” Hmm, special needs.” I left it there, lol.

purplepeanut007

Reaction score
I think refurbishing floats is more difficult that making from scratch !!!!!
What are everyones thoughts on this?

purplepeanut007

Reaction score
Another quartetet of floats finished this morning, this time 5AAA+ Avons with solid hardwood tips & stems.
20240803_141233.jpg

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
I finally got around to finishing the floats I made for Tare fishing on the Medway. I tried one before they had the final coat of varnish and it did exactly what I wanted. I will give two to a good mate.

Next up I’m going to make some bodied insert wagglers, bodied wagglers and top and bottom sliders, some with changeable tips. I bought some bushes ages ago to do this but put it on the back burner. They are the same size as the medium sized glow sticks. I will cut some of the glow sticks down and Araldite the tips into them.

IMG_6435.jpeg

These are the bushes I’m talking about.

IMG_6436.jpeg