FM Ribble Winter Chub fish-in VIII

J

john conway

Basically Robert its just a get together of lads who like fishing the Ribble or river fishing in general. It's good for a laugh in the pub after the fishing, but better still in the bunk house. If you just want to talk about fishing and get some very good advice then some very experienced lads would be only to willing to talk to you about fishing.
You could also come and have a look at our seal, but hopefully it will have gone by then? Or may be we could get Wol or Andy to take it home with them?
For you lads who are not members of RADAC, PAAS or WAA don't forget about the EA day ticket stretch at Mitton. It's only 15 mins drive up river from Ribchester and that bloody seal hasn't been up there yet. Hopefully, when Jim gets back from the Himalayas, I'll be able to talk him and or Bryan into spending a session on the EA stretch with me, so that we'll be able to give you a bit of advice before the fish-in. One thing I can say is that it's beautiful country up there.

V

Vinnie Coleman

hi john, good to see another fish in organised. been out of the loop for a while (strangeways angling club)........ joking.... looking forward to seeing Baz & a few old faces, thanks for your effort

H

Headmaster Hinchley

I will be back , and catching !!!

Theres no bloody chub here in nepal so im looking forward to it , assuming i get back in one piece. Will defo fish the ea length with john before the fish in.

Bunk barn , but of course. Not missed one yet !!

keep the ribble well fed for me guys whilst im away.

jim

A

Andy "the Dog" Nellist (SAA) (ACA)

Jim, its been excellent reading all the updates since you've been away - sounds like you're having a great time.

Ric Elwin

Reaction score
When are you back Jim? I'm thinking of including Nepal in my travels...

H

Headmaster Hinchley

Next week Ric mate , no doubt the bunk barn will be hearing all about Doris and the buffalo.
Phil im sure ric or graham or jc will forward them for you to read, the internet is clockwork here in nepal !!!!

J

john conway

Well lads only another weekend away then it?s the Ribble & the Black Bull and it almost didn't happen. As I normally early this week I tried to contact the Black Bull to give them a rough ideas as to how many lads are likely to turn up only to find that the Landlord of only a few weeks had done a runner. For a few days Jim and I played with the idea of other venues and bunk barns etc. However, Thwaites Brewery gave me the mobile number of their Area Manager said he may be able to help and to give him a ring. To cut a long story short I've just spoken to the new Landlady of the Black Bull and we are definitely on for Saturday 10th March.
As expected there are a few minor changes, the bunkhouse is ?15 per night and if you want a full English breakfast it's ?5 and you can have it at 6-o-clock if you want. The evening meal looks like being a bit more varied and Leslie, the new Landlady, said there are plans in the future to do Take-a-way service for the food.
River wise its been a bit rough up here with very high water levels, but one or two good fish are coming out, you only need to ask Wendy about that. The water temps up so there's likely to be a few Barbel about as well as the Chub.
Ric and Paul Morley have been out to look at the EA stretch at Mitton but I have not yet heard how they went on. Jim, Bryan and I are going to have a look at the EA stretch at Mitton this Saturday and I will let you know how we get on.
I will post again just to keep this thread alive and I let you know the state of the river the Friday night before the do. However, Jim and a few others will be going whatever happens.

Paul C

Reaction score
Where the hell do all these Black Bull ex-landlords run to? and what with?

There must be a complete community of them somewhere in a corner of Lancashire?

J

john conway

Our lass has a theory that there must be some sort of local Mafia in the village, but your right Paul it is very strange.

At the moment we are looking at about 20 people interested and 12 or 13 likely to stay over night. Ric & Paul have given me a brief report on the EA stretch at Mitton but I?ll let you know about that after Jim, Bryan and I have had our trip on this stretch tomorrow.

Paul C

Reaction score
"we are definitely on for Saturday 10th March".

I thought that was a bold statement John, given that a week seems to be a long time in the life of a Black Bull landlord/landlady. There's time for them to escape yet...!

Anyway good luck.

J

john conway

EA Day ticket stretch at Mitton, 15 mins drive up river from Ribchester.

Earlier in the week, Ric & Paul fished the slightly slower, slightly deeper water, on the bend approx 600 yards down from the road bridge. It was no deeper than 3 foot anywhere.
Paul had 2 Chub, both 2 1/2 to 3. Ric had 3 good bites in a ridiculously snaggy swim, each led to a lost hook in the debris.
Ric walked further down the stretch, past the bend, more fast water. He thought it likely there were better swims downstream but it would be a hell of a walk, some of it quite tricky in the dark.
To sum up Ric & Paul thought the stretch is a bit high up the river for regular coarse fishing. A lone roving angler travelling light might do ok, but it's not for the regular FM fish in bloke.

Saturday 3rd March Jim, Brayn & I had a look at this stretch. The idea was to walk down from the road bridge to the end of the EA stretch, Calder Foot approx 1-1/2 miles, fish for a couple of hours then head back up river to Hodder Foot and fish though dust to about 8 or 9 pm. The walk down to the end of the stretch took exactly half an hour, Jim travelled with one rod and a bag, Bryan and I went with our usual Ribble gear two rods rucksack and quiver. The weather wasn't very good fihing wise, sunny intervals and quite cold although the river temp was about 7C. Jim had decided to fish maggot and Bryan and I bread on one rod pellet on the other. At Calder foot Jim was the only one to catch and that was a small trout although I was getting quite a few knocks on crust and cheese.
Up at Hodder Foot Bryan got smashed just into dusk, Jim didn't get a touch and my rods on both bread, cheese and pellet were banging away all through dusk but I just couldn't make contact. Don't know if this was just me or the fact that at dusk we had a full and very bright moon, normally on the Ribble with a moon like this I wouldn't be getting any bites at all. Even though I'd no fish on the bank Hodder Foot looks a nice stretch.
The walk back through the woods in the dark, was no problem you just have to take you time and I quite enjoyed the walk just as the full moon was beginning to go into a full eclipse.

Note the EA stretch is below Martin James's stretch where Janet Stansfield had the great day's angling with Martin James from BBC Radio Lancashire's, no doubt you will all have read the article on FM. .

robert murphy

Reaction score
John,I have't fished the Mitton stretch for a good few years,but you could pay the farmer at Mitton Hall farm and drive right down on to the river bank at Hodder foot and further still if you wanted to access the lower end,parking at the wood just above Calder foot.Don't know wether you can still use this access but it saved a long walk.

J

john conway

Yes lads we still have a Landlady, I've just spoken to her over the phone, and she's just asked me to remained you to bring your sleeping bags, cover sheets and pillows provided and if anyone does decide to stay over or you forget your bag we can still accommodate you.
So Saturday morning it will be the same routine; the pub opens at 11-o-clock, Jim and I will probably be there about 10:30, then into the pub for a quick pint or a coffee and also to sort out where everyone is going to fish. Anyone staying over can pay for their bunks and order a breakfast if you can manage one after the night s beer. Also, if you talk to Wendy nicely, she might tell you where she picked up her 10lb Barbel, i.e. where I picked up my 1st Ribble 6lb plus chub.
Leslie (that?s the Landlady) is a bit more relaxed re the time up get back if you want a meal, these are more on the bar snack side, chips, ham & egg, chips and burger or pipes etc. So if the Chub are still knocking at 7-o-clock there'll be no great rush back.
Can?t say too much about the river only that it?s been up and down for the last few days, at the moment it OK and should still be by weekend.

Wendy Perry 2

Reaction score
Guys am sorry i won't be there on this one but if anyone wants to know where i had my 10lb barbel and 8lb bream....TOUGH, i'm not allowed to tell ya! email me though and i will ;)