Ground baits for perch.

Aknib

Reaction score
Hey up Gaz…

As promised mate, my thoughts on your questions though I’m far from what I would consider as an expert.

First thing’s first and I generally group my Perch into two categories, those which live in known lairs such as some of the deep, snaggy, feature holding river swims I frequent and those who constantly roam around large, seemingly barren waters and which take in their food ‘on the wing’ so to speak.

These ‘seemingly barren’ waters are often far from it of course once you get below the surface but I’ll come to that later.

I will say I reckon you’re up against it on such a large water but that should by no means put you off, get it right and it could well blow your socks off.

If stocks of other species are low due to the lack of them then I reckon you’re Talkin Tarn fish will be nomadic feeders not just because of the category I put them in but also for the fact that there may not be a large population of fry and bait fish to influence their feeding habits.

I’ve found that the large gravel pit Perch (20-30 acres) that I often target are roamers and shoal fish, get one and you’ll often get a net full and this presents problems and advantages in that it can often be a waiting game but get enough snap out there ready for when they hit that particular spot and it can be a red letter day, on your water I reckon you’re playing to a strength in that respect and that you won’t have a multitude of unintended species trying to get in on the act or hoovering up your feed before your intendeds arrive.

But where do you put your feed?

You need to identify a likely patrol route, either with a marker float or counting a lead down to where there’s a significant drop off. You will find Perch almost anywhere but this is the most consistent approach that I’ve found and these methods will suffice for both the float and at longer ranges for a lead or feeder.

If you can find deep water very close in to the bank then it’s a favourite for me, even if it’s right under the rod tip. I’m sure I’ve said it before either in a Perch or a Pike thread but wherever that occurs it effectively reduces a prey fish’s escape route by a significant factor when you consider it blocks off a whole direction and with the added safety of deep water for the predator it’s ideal hunting ground.

If I’m fishing close in and I haven’t been too lazy in my prep then chopped worm, mixed with the soil they came in or riddled seed compost, via a bait dropper is my go to. The soil soaks up a lot of the attractant which would otherwise be lost and drift away in the water column as the worm pieces sink to the bottom when fed by hand and the bait dropper has the same effect of getting it down quick before the main draw of the feed has seeped out and drifted elsewhere.

The end result is a bit like trying to hunt down a freshly baked Cornish pastie shop without the waft of the goodies to direct you and draw you closer.

A heavy mix balled in will pretty much do the same job if you’re fishing beyond comfortable bait dropper range.

If I’m going for it and want to hold what I think will be a large number of fish then I add maggots, dead or alive and occasionally chopped prawn but I reckon almost anything will do provided that there’s enough of it to hold up a roaming shoal for long enough to snipe a few off before they move on and they will move on very quickly if there’s nothing to keep them there.

Pike can be a nuisance, I’m convinced that chopped worm draws them in but on the flip side Perch will often be found close by. Fishing a bait up in the water seems to help the Pike, probably because they’re not that well designed for scooping small baits up off the bottom so fishing on the deck will help to avoid them and put your bait where your feed is, if you’re still getting interest from them try changing from whole worm hookbaits to small sections of worm on a medium sized hair rigged maggot clip and you’ll be amazed at how much it takes to fill, two or three good sized worms usually.

I’ve never been a fan of deadbaits for Perch although I’m sure they’ll work, even more so if worked rather than static and similarly with spinning, that’s probably the most effective way of locating fish on such a large water when combined with a mobile approach but it’s just not for me so I tend to go with what I’m happy with.

Large waters like yours tend to require patience in my experience so don’t be put off if you’re three or four hours into a session without a sniff as that can just be the characteristics of the fish movement, they can and often do turn up the goods.

So, in conclusion…

I do think it’s worth groundbaiting for Perch but, like much fishing, you have to think about how, what, where etc. and the overall question is why? If you can come up with the reasoning then give it a go.

And two words when it comes to expensive bait additives and one thing they all have in spicy common denominators…

Garam Masala!

My still early exploits with the stuff have been very positive, I’ve just not had the chance to significantly prove anything (as far as you can with these sorts of things) but it’s certainly done me no harm to say the least.

rayner

Reaction score
Thank you, Steve. A very concise and condensed reply to get so much in one post. Definitely food for thought for me there.
Ignore my last message to you as I think you have everything I asked covered.
I have just after reading your post reverted back to using GB. I was beginning to think I should drop the idea.
I know I will have more questions for you so expect another question or 10 in later messages.

Reaction score
I think casters,fed in good quantities,but not regulary with some lobbies chopped in three takes some beating Gary,I find feeding too much worm doesn't attract perch so much,but bream like it...

rayner

Reaction score
If the water held bream, I would certainly fish for them. Unfortunately, there are none, only perch and pike are resident.
Chopped worm, even for bream can sometimes kill a swim as you know Alan.

Reaction score
Yes,they have to be mad for it,dead reds or casters with three or four lobs cut in three,usually does the job,but feeding regular for perch is a no-no,unless your looking for roach too,perch,especially biguns like inert feed items,I think they sit over the grub...

rayner

Reaction score
The more I get into the idea of predator fishing I think I'll probably stick to fishing lures to start. I already have a decent selection of drop-shotting tackle, I have only caught tiny perch from the local canal that I don't fish now because of walking.
I once caught an 8" pike that I really had trouble unhooking with my limitations. Using any live or dead baits will definitely be out.
Tactics are yet to be decided.
My drop shot rods are finesse class rods, nothing like powerful enough for any decent pike, I doubt. Like I said there are only predators in the tarn.

Aknib

Reaction score
Agree on the casters, Perch love 'em and quite often you'll be doing your local tackle shop a favor by asking if you would like to relieve them of any over-turned casters which they can't sell at no cost as these are otherwise a pain in the arris for them to get rid of.

Simply crush them in the bag they come in and then add them to your feed.

rayner

Reaction score
My local tackle shop used to have the best casters for miles around. Now they have a nasty habit of saving casters from Saturday to Monday in water rendering them virtually useless the shop is going downhill fast. There's no chance of getting cheap bait from there, I really don't want cheap bait just good fresh bait will do me fine.
The only way I can get propper casters now is to do my own. Too much trouble at times.:censored:

rayner

Reaction score
Twisted wire traces, a thing I think will be needed to give a bit of security against toothy things. Which wire is recommended.

Reaction score
My local tackle shop used to have the best casters for miles around. Now they have a nasty habit of saving casters from Saturday to Monday in water rendering them virtually useless the shop is going downhill fast. There's no chance of getting cheap bait from there, I really don't want cheap bait just good fresh bait will do me fine.
The only way I can get propper casters now is to do my own. Too much trouble at times.:censored:

you and me both Gary,I watched a Jon Arthur video on youtube the other day and his casters were brilliant,self turned,around two pints,thats a lot of effort...

rayner

Reaction score
It's true if you want the best casters you have to get busy. The chap who owned the shop was brilliant, he died then his son took over. He runs the shop how he likes that is his choice. Not to my liking so I'll have to go elsewhere.
Trouble is the only other shop that does decent casters now vacuum pack them, that's another thing I don't like. Quality counts for nothing to some.

Aknib

Reaction score
You don't need the best casters when all you're doing is crushing them and adding them to bulk out your feed so that a passing shoal of fish has a bit more to hold them in the area.

It's a funny one in a way, back when I regularly used to do this I sometimes had over turned casters that just about blew my head off when I opened the bag but they still drew and/or held fish when added to the feed.

I think we can sometimes get a bit over fussy with feed considering the prey and the characteristics of certain waters, I reckon the fish care far less when it comes to a free lunch.

Gaz my best advice regarding wire and Perch is avoid it and go for an approach which is less likely to attract Pike such as worm on the deck or maggot, caster, prawn etc. as big wary Perch do not like wire in my experience unless when live baiting in which case they just seem to throw caution to the wind and go for it regardless, often dragging paternostered leads, floats, wire and the whole shabundle with remarkable ignorance.

Reaction score
Your right Steve,but generally if you pay the dosh for casters,you don't expect dead,dull,greyish bait,I get it I really do,Hugh knows the guy who did the bait in what was Popletts in Stevenage,anglers travelled many miles to get quality maggots and in particular casters,running gallons of maggot through industrial sized riddles at least three times a day,picking skins out etc is tedious and time consuming,which many tackle shops these days don't think there is a decent return for,the thing is anglers through the doors spend money on more than just bait...

silvers

Reaction score
Interesting observations on regularity of feeding for perch. I struggle to keep my hands out of the bait tray ... little and often. I have found that
a) it is very easy to overfeed perch, in the winter I’ll often just drip in 2 or 3 maggots per cast.
b) Whitty’s point about feeding a tiny amount of lobworm is almost a return to 30 years ago, and echoes my experience that the “chopped worm” era on many venues is definitely past
c) i caught a lot of perch on casters ten years or so ago ... but not so much recently.

ian g

Reaction score
I've never really tried casters for perch , mainly because of availability , does point "c" mean you don't use them as much , or you don't catch as many? Thanks Ian

silvers

Reaction score
I've never really tried casters for perch , mainly because of availability , does point "c" mean you don't use them as much , or you don't catch as many? Thanks Ian
casters are my primary bait from June through to end October ... that pattern has not changed. But I suspect that there are several confounding factors, for example the target size of perch changing. So I wouldn’t want to report it as anything other than an anecdote.

personally, I’ve not Purchased caster from a shop for 35 years, always turn my own.

rayner

Reaction score
You don't need the best casters when all you're doing is crushing them and adding them to bulk out your feed so that a passing shoal of fish has a bit more to hold them in the area.

It's a funny one in a way, back when I regularly used to do this I sometimes had over turned casters that just about blew my head off when I opened the bag but they still drew and/or held fish when added to the feed.

I think we can sometimes get a bit over fussy with feed considering the prey and the characteristics of certain waters, I reckon the fish care far less when it comes to a free lunch.

Gaz my best advice regarding wire and Perch is avoid it and go for an approach which is less likely to attract Pike such as worm on the deck or maggot, caster, prawn etc. as big wary Perch do not like wire in my experience unless when live baiting in which case they just seem to throw caution to the wind and go for it regardless, often dragging paternostered leads, floats, wire and the whole shabundle with remarkable ignorance.

I always steered away from poor bait as the bait now sold in my local tackle shop. I think I will have a bit of trouble changing my mind on casters, being more than a little anal about having the best baits I can get.
Buying casters the price has never bothered me too much. I can use four pints when fishing for roach and Ide up in the water my bait though always without fail needed to be fresh. I can mostly run out of bait when fish are having it up in the water.
Would similarly chop dead maggot work Steve I have a feeling they well may work similar, apart from the shells casters are the same inside as maggot.
Now I think GB may possibly be the way to go again.

Reaction score
Alex,it isn't so much catching the perch on the caster,more the attraction,to enable worm to work,some well respected specimen anglers feed 1-3 pints of caster while fishing the worm,if I was feeding any form of ground(crumb) type bait I would probably feed slop in small quantities,because that would attract small fish,other than that I can see no attraction for perch..

rayner

Reaction score
OK, I think I may well drop the GB idea going instead for either maggot or caster fed through a mesh-like the ones the carp anglers use. And maybe a garam masala or pred plus squirted on the maggot. Lob or prawn hook bait.
If I knew the water or knew some that fished there I would have more confidence to fish without feed. I can not see how I could just drop on fish in such large a water. When I eventually get up there I'm prepared/expecting to blank.

Reaction score
A water i'm a member of has a fair few bits,but some good perch and tench,I had never seen a perch until this spring,the last trip I had two gooduns appear in my swim,one considerably bigger than the other,looking 3lbs plus,apparently these get caught on prawn or mussel....